Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A small note on Region Claims (with a preview)
03-16-2009, 12:37 AM,
A small note on Region Claims (with a preview)
I thought I would publish some of the information that I had down for flora and trees that I have so far assigned to different regions. A lot of this is distinctly a WiP but it gives some indication of where I'm going and may help any modders who work outside of the generated regions to use the appropriate items without having the look of their claim being modified in a big way.

I'm only posting the regions I'm working on for the moment but more will follow.

Jungle Region

Trees

1 BM Jungle Trees
2 Hala trees
3 Mugomania (hybrid) Trees
4 Redwood Trees (only on the fringes)
5 Some Dementia trees (ones without foliage)
6 Willow Trees (only for the far North and East)

Rocks & Flora

1 Colovian Rock Retextures
2 Sachiel's Rocks
3 mr_siika's Rocks
4 Saffron Crocus
5 Stargazer
6 Dragon Arum (or 'VoodooLily' with Voodoo root - also seen in Gideon)
7 BromGreenStripe, BromZebraStripe, BromLeafSpike, BromRedYellow
8 Rafflesia
9 Jungle Vine Root Retextures (with vines)
10 Possibly some Hibiscus
11 Possibly other vanilla items such as Butterflies, LogOakMoss & Ferns.

Everglades Region

Trees

1 BM Swamp Trees
2 BM Swamp-Rose Trees
3 Dementia Trees ('L' variety with foliage)
4 SnowGum Trees
5 Camoran's Paradise trees (for localised areas)
6 SnowGumCP Trees (for localised areas and used with the above)
7 CPSwampCypressForest (for localised areas and used with the above)

Rocks & Flora

1 Swamp Rocks (and occasionally West Weald rocks)
2 Nenuphar Purple
3 PassionFlower
4 Peach Tree (possibly)
5 Cattails
6 Victoria Flower (definitely Victoria Lilypad)
7 Flora Flies
8 Mosquitoes
9 Centipedes
10 HibiscusOrange, HibiscusPink, HibiscusRed
11 Possibly other items such as Knee Clusters, Fireflies, LogOakMoss, Vipers Bugloss, GreenStainShelfCupCaps, Ferns & Sacred Lotus (but in small quantities or very localised)

Here are some screenies of the latest experiment with the Everglades region....they're very dark but you may notice the swamp water texture along with several other new swampy textures (which I think look damn cool, especially close-up). The bridge is regarded by non-Argonians as the only safe route through the region considering various hazards such as the mosquitoes....but the guard in the marsh house demands a toll....btw, the bridge has no collision detection. I may need help with that....
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM,

Interesting,i really like the screenshot of Everglades,it looks like in my mind.
I really want to see there some naga in the swamps,and deadly mosquitos.
Can't wait to see the Jungle region!

Keep up the good work IG!

`Senten
03-16-2009, 10:50 PM,

I think much of the work on the Everglades for now will be a case of height mapping so that the region generation takes place more smoothly. There will be some areas of deeper water in larger expanses along with some longer stretches of land. It will take a little bit of creative work to get things how I'd like them after that but I get the impression that getting this region up and running will be pretty easy....easier than the jungle anyway because everything fits quite nicely....which prompts this question: do the SI mushrooms have a place in the BM? If so then they might appear in this region....or perhaps reserve them for later jungle borderlands with Morrowind where mushies are already plentiful....

I'm still getting my test cell for the Jungle sorted. It's taken time because I can't settle on a perfect composition of all the different assets...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
03-17-2009, 05:45 PM,

"More unique,more fun." That's my motto.
So i think,custom mushrooms are would be better than SI ones.Isn't it?

`Senten
03-17-2009, 06:45 PM,

Yes, perhaps later we could retexture some of the large ones though...but not just yet. Your blue mushrooms are particularly nice so maybe we might try something like that. In the meantime, I'm quite keen on taking some of the SI flora for the Everglades because they just look so putrid.... =)
03-17-2009, 06:49 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Yes, perhaps later we could retexture some of the large ones though...but not just yet. Your blue mushrooms are particularly nice so maybe we might try something like that. In the meantime, I'm quite keen on taking some of the SI flora for the Everglades because they just look so putrid.... =)

Good,please upload more screenshot,if you make some progress. Smile
Im really like to see this region.

`Senten
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM,

I'm just smoothing out the landscape as part of the preparation for the Jungle Region and I wondered if it would be best if I sculpt the landscape so that the Northern edges of the map are mountainous as would befit the connection with Morrowind....? If so, I could create a very large, un-scaleable incline to the North...?

This would affect Stormhold especially which will also need a further facelift as the trees that currently surround it are not classified as 'jungle trees'...although I'm keen on keeping a good amount of the willow trees and a few cypress trees (albeit in a much-reduced quantity).

Any thoughts on the matter, people?
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM,

In addition to what I asked above, I researched a little on more alternatives and particularly liked the 'hanging vegetation' feature here: http://en.9jcg.com/comm_pages/blog_content-art-115.htm . I'm wondering if we can achieve something similar....?

Likewise, we have palm trees but the trunks are very bright for a jungle. If the trunks were much darker (like here) then it might certainly solve the problem I've had for a while of trying to find the right composition for the jungle preset....
03-18-2009, 08:08 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
In addition to what I asked above, I researched a little on more alternatives and particularly liked the 'hanging vegetation' feature here: http://en.9jcg.com/comm_pages/blog_content-art-115.htm . I'm wondering if we can achieve something similar....?

Likewise, we have palm trees but the trunks are very bright for a jungle. If the trunks were much darker (like here) then it might certainly solve the problem I've had for a while of trying to find the right composition for the jungle preset....

Ibsen,

That's an interesting article on hanging vegetation. I bookmarked it. I'm also "booked" myself on the current modding work I have to do, so I can't take on any more projects.

I thought I had sent you updated palm textures at some point that were darker....or maybe not...I can't remember too well right now. I'll send you some palm textures I redid, via PM at some point. The trunk is darker on them, as are the palm leaves.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
03-18-2009, 08:18 PM,

I like your idea IG,and i think that'd be nice and realistic.
The link is amazing,awesome models!And the hanging vegetations would be fantastic,they add a new,unique style for the land.

Keep up the good work,your ideas will be live hopefully!

`Senten