Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dunmer Lore and ZDawg's quest
03-20-2009, 01:27 AM,

I think you've written a very interesting quest draft, and I look forward to following your development of it! Smile

One thing I would strongly suggest though is that you mod your quest in stages. In this case I would suggest that you mod one quest route to completion, so that it can be played through in only one way. After that you'll know you have your quest implemented and working, and that it can be enjoyed by players as it is -- and then you could start adding more choices and alternative endings. I have a few reasons for thinking the idea of stages is a good idea, one of them is that you said you hadn't modded Oblivion quests before and I think the whole quest as you outlined it would be very complex to mod in one go. I would imagine it's complex even for a very experienced modder to keep track of a quest that has, say, half a dozen different endings.

I like both alternatives to starting the quest, and they should both be implemented. I.e. the player can start the quest after he hears the rumor, but should he run into them before that he'll skip that step. It's not likely players will run into them by chance though, since both Soluthis and our overall mod is so huge. But one can influence that to a substantial degree through AI behaviour by making your characters walk around in the exterior world. Maybe one character can walk through the farmland during a part of the day via a patrol schedule, while your other character can mill about outside the city gates. Those are just suggestions though, but AI behaviour along those lines greatly increase the odds that the player will meet your characters.

The hands-down best way in my personal opinion is to write a conversation or two that are spoken between NPCs. Perhaps the player runs into Mindvus and Savvas talking to each other, or perhaps he runs into two other characters talking about them. You could create your own voice work for it, if you have the equipment for it, to ensure that the conversation plays out technically correct. But this is just an idea I thought of, you don't have to create conversations if you don't want to Smile

A third alternative, which I think would be good to implement, is to put up a notice on a noticeboard in the city. Perhaps the letter on the board could be a protest list from an angry citizen? Again it's just a suggestion, there's many ways a notice could be written to make the player aware of the quest. If you like I could write a draft for the notice Smile

Also if there's anything I can do in my capacity as modeller that would make the quest more fun for you, I would be happy to do what I can. Perhaps one quest ending would lead to one or both homes being destroyed? If so I could make a ruin-type model that looks like a razed Redoran hut. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Dunmer Lore and ZDawg's quest - by ZDawg - 03-19-2009, 04:19 AM
[No subject] - by Razorwing - 03-19-2009, 05:18 AM
[No subject] - by ZDawg - 03-19-2009, 05:50 AM
[No subject] - by Razorwing - 03-19-2009, 06:02 AM
[No subject] - by ZDawg - 03-19-2009, 06:58 AM
[No subject] - by Zurke - 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM
[No subject] - by ZDawg - 03-19-2009, 11:49 PM
[No subject] - by Razorwing - 03-20-2009, 01:27 AM
[No subject] - by ZDawg - 03-20-2009, 01:44 AM