Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Redoran Buildings Progress Thread (1)
01-23-2006, 12:25 AM,
Redoran Buildings Progress Thread (1)
Here we have it, the Redoran Collection! Big Grin

I zipped all of the current .obj files up, and the most up to date images of each model. The only changes that have been made after these were rendered are some entryway sizes and minor fixes.

The next step is to get these monsters textured. Since this can't be done in blender (.obj doesn't save texture data) I am unable to texture these alone. Razorwing has offered to figure out how to get these UV mapped, so unless something changes thats what we will be in the process of doing as of now.

I will also be making a number of accesory models to spice up redoran style cities, Ill post them as I make them.
01-23-2006, 12:47 AM,

I think it looks great. It has a natural, flowing form to it while not being overly different. Im not too keen about the spikmes above the doorway, I think there should either be more all around the structure, or perhaps make them smaller and less noticeable, but it still looks very good.
?The light that puts out our eyes is darkness to us. Only that day dawns to which we are awake. There is more day to dawn? - Henry David Thoreau
01-23-2006, 01:04 AM,

The spikes are from the origional concept art. I think they add come much needed detail, though they may look a bit akward right now because of the textures. That first picture doesn't show them off to well either. Smaller may look nice though, ill have to try it.

Chimney! :banana:
01-23-2006, 01:09 AM,

That chimney is good, as it serves its purpose in a simple, elegant way, without being overly exagerate, which one would expect considering the general populace that would inhabit the houses. As for the spikes, i think it would look very interesting if there were more, perhaps descendging down laterally along the sides of the hut, getting smaller as rhey near the ground. Of course, even though this would look cool, I dont know whether or not it would really reflect the look you are going for, though as long as they do not obtain an evil appearance, it should look okay. Just a suggestion, though it still looks very good.
?The light that puts out our eyes is darkness to us. Only that day dawns to which we are awake. There is more day to dawn? - Henry David Thoreau
01-23-2006, 01:43 AM,

Nice work there, Caligula!

Textured (and with a door) it would definetely make a perfect addition to the mod. If I had to think of something that could be changed it might be to try and made it larger, by reducing the nose or enlarging the head, but it could certainly work at its current size too.

By the way the team never got around to finalizing a texture template for Redoran architecture. The ones I and Hoss used were only ever meant to be placeholders, so you don't have to use them. Perhaps you would be able to find some good ones that we can use for all the house models? =)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
01-23-2006, 02:09 AM,

Yea, spikes are better tiny. I shrunk the entry a little bit too so the hut isn't so darn small.

Quote:Nice work there, Caligula

Textured and with a door it would make a perfect addition to the mod.

I didn't want to try and texture it in blender since its going to need to be converted before we can use it for anything, but ill be sure to make a door.

Any estimates as to how high is too high for the polycount? The subed version (the one ive been rendering) is at around 5k. The non subed version is more like 500 (just about MW quailty I think).
01-23-2006, 02:36 AM,

Maybe if you bring the iterations down a bit on the subdivisions, then it will be lower. I don't know if that would work though. 5k doesn't sound too high to me, shouldn't cause any problems. My sword is about 8-9.5 thousand.

It looks good as far as I can tell. Maybe you could add a few more details on the front near the door. I think the spikes would look better if they were just a tad bigger, somewhere in between what they were at first and what they are now.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
01-23-2006, 04:24 AM,

Hard to say... but a facecount of 5000 doesn't sound excessive to me. (Polycount can be tricky since the # of faces that make up a poly varies.) I imagine most of our models need to be tested and adjusted once the game is here, and optimizing or refining a model as needed should be fairly easy.

I noticed that it's possible to look inside your model. Assuming the interior of it will be a separate cell load, which I imagine it'll be since it'll be used in cities, there's room for optimization there. If you have polys on the inside they can be safely deleted (or if you have a 2-sided texture you can set it to be 1-sided to save processing power for future players). But keep a copy of it, it's sure to come in handy for the interior Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
01-23-2006, 10:20 AM,

The tiny spines are a great idea - it makes it fit in smoothly with the Redoran Council House being made from the shell of an Emperor Crab - like maybe this hut is from a King Crab Shell? :goodjob:
Because loyalty is not to be spoken of and honour is to be endured. Whilst courage is to be survived. These virtues belong to silence.
Steven Erikson.

But, if one man does nothing can he be said to be good? raggidman
01-23-2006, 06:11 PM,

i like it, and if i remember correctly from morrowind gnisis was mostly just that house with a few changes from house to house like a chimney and stuff. anyways looks great
"Paralyzing people and watching them fall down stairs never gets old" - Todd Howard