Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Music Thread
05-02-2009, 10:49 PM,
The Music Thread
I didn't see this topic anywhere in the Auditorium, so I decided why not make one?

Basically what this thread should be used for is to discuss music... duh. But beyond that, hopefully find people who like songs or musicians that you also like, and maybe discuss the meaning of a song or what you particularly like about that song. Maybe then others could even suggest an artist/song that you might like!

So to start things off I'll just tell you a bit about my musical interests. I was born in '91, but I didn't really listen to a lot of music until I was about ten or twelve or so, which by then it was already into the 2000s. So I grew up with very terrible music (2000-2009 is really bad so far.)

I hated most modern music. I disliked a lot of the mainstream 80s stuff. So I decided to look into the 90s scene and I instantly loved it. My favorite genres are Grunge and 90s Alternative. I also like the hip-hop of the 90s, but significantly less than bands like Nirvana, Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, The Toadies, Alice in Chains, etc. Such bands make of the majority of my favorite bands, with a few modern alternative and rock bands but a really miniscule amount.

My favorite overall band as of now is Nirvana. I also really love Metallica, but only their older stuff.

My favorite song right now is Possum Kingdom by The Toadies. It is a love song with a pretty lighthearted tone, but a really dark underscore (Lake Possum Kingdom in Texas was the setting of multiple rape-murders.)

Right now I finished listening to Franz Ferdinand - This Fire and am currently listening to Flobots - Handlebars.

How about you guys? What do you like?
I'll die to win, 'cuz I was born to loose.
[Image: nirvana.jpg]
05-03-2009, 12:02 AM,

Nice idea for a thread. Smile

I'm a classically trained pianist (and have been for 11 years) and also an electric guitarist. Music is the one thing I'm good at - if you took it away from me you'd find that I have no other useful skills whatsoever. Wink

I'm a music tutor (teaching piano and electric guitar) and also a gigging musician (though I won't provide a link at the moment as two members of the band I'm in left recently and we're in the process of re-jigging everything to work for the remaining four of us).

In terms of interests, on the classical side of things I'm a huge fan of Rachmaninoff, Bach, Kuhlau, Granados and Chopin. I also quite like Debussy and Lizst - anything a bit quirky is interesting to me.

On the rock side of things, my favourite band is Muse. The sheer craftmanship of their music combined with the grandiose operatics is something that's too rarely seen in music these days (Queen got it right). Other rock bands I like are Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against The Machine.

To be honest, though, I'm pretty open minded about music - give me something that makes use of the harmonic minor and diminished chords to generate tension and I'll be happy. Anything that's quirky is also good in my book. In general I tend to identify what's popular and go for the opposite - sometimes intentionally, but most of the time it's unintentional. This applies to all aspects of my life, not just music.

I'll stop now before I get seriously talking about music theory - I have a habit of baffling people by getting carried away talking about theory. Wink
05-03-2009, 06:46 AM,

I actually love classical as well, but only the really wrathful and sullen stuff.

Radiohead is amazing, the peps are amazing and Rage Against the Machine was my favorite band for a long time. If you haven't got it, you NEED to get the Evil Empire album by them. Easily their best. So raw and angry and determined and effective.

I also HATE most mainstream music. My generation are a bunch of musically-challenged pricks.

Please, talk about music theory. After all, this is the perfect thread for it. Wink
I'll die to win, 'cuz I was born to loose.
[Image: nirvana.jpg]
05-23-2009, 06:49 PM,

If anyone's interested, my band has got some of our songs re-recorded and up on our myspace page. Listen for me on keyboard and backing vocals. Smile

ZDawg: I got RATM's Evil Empire for my birthday a few days a go. I've only listened to it once, but I noticed some really odd instances in the arrangement of some of the songs, and it seems Tom Morello has a new special effect for each song (or a new song for each special effect?). To be honest I prefer their first album, but I'll definitely give Evil Empire a few more listens before making any final decisions about it.
05-24-2009, 02:22 PM,

Well, I was born in 93. I've been listening to hip-hop since being around 4, had a few messed up periods (10-year old listening to the likes of Modern Talking) and have ended up being a jazz-lover.

My favourite overall ensemble, crew, band, call it what you like - A Tribe Called Quest in the hip-hop sphere, Miles Davis' '59 Quintet in the overall aspect.

Favourite song - T.R.O.Y. by Pete Rock & CL Smooth, ever since I first heard it (1996 or so)

There are tons of brilliant, essential albums in practically every genre, yet some are simply untouchable - For me these are Nas's Illmatic [1994] and Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue [1959]. Kind Of Blue is one of, if not THE musical highlight of the 20th century IMO.
The Nord pointed his finger at the building on the hill, and said: "That is the Emerald Hall, the Palace of Ysgramor."

My concepts - http://ysgramor.deviantart.com (hopefully there shalt be some in the future!)
05-27-2009, 01:01 PM,

I'd really have expected more activity in this thread.
The Nord pointed his finger at the building on the hill, and said: "That is the Emerald Hall, the Palace of Ysgramor."

My concepts - http://ysgramor.deviantart.com (hopefully there shalt be some in the future!)
05-27-2009, 04:07 PM,

Nice tread, I must say that i listen to alot of music but Green-day is probably my favourite band..

try listen to this, it is quite funny;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_6ItxioUco
05-27-2009, 05:27 PM,

Been listening to Anthony Braxton lately - what a musician, what a man! Big Grin

05-28-2009, 12:53 AM,

My musical taste could basically be summed up with one word: Metal! Big Grin My favorite band right now is probably the almighty Meshuggah, they're wonderfully talented musicians who produce genuinely great music. Other great metal bands worth checking out if you are interested in really great metal include: Gojira, who are without a doubt the best death metal band out there right now. While a lot of modern death metal is just overly technical and pretty soulless (e.g. Necrophagist, who are good, but aren't even in the same league) Gojira most definitely aren't. Slayer, simply because Reign in Blood is still the best thrash metal album out there after all these years and Mastodon because Leviathan is a killer album and anyone who says it isn't is just wrong.

I also have a taste for power metal, e.g. Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Ensiferum etc... as well as classic heavy metal like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

:bananarock:
09-15-2009, 10:52 PM,

This thread needs more activity! So, without further ado:

Has anyone listened to Muse's new album, The Resistance? I believe the word 'grandiloquence' was invented with this album in mind! Drama on a grand scale with lots of Orwellian undertones all wrapped up in an abundance of beautiful pretension. Big Grin

The final three tracks, a three part modern classical symphony with a rock edge are my favourite pieces by Muse so far. They embody the grandeur and scope I aim for in my own music.

Discuss. Smile