Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLAIM: City Planning and AI
08-17-2010, 06:29 PM,

Okay, well we'll see when we get that far. Anyway, I just finished the AI for the first barracks. It's looking pretty damn fine.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
08-17-2010, 06:36 PM,

Got any pictures?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
08-17-2010, 08:26 PM,

Here ya go. I just realised I made a few cock-ups with the AIs. Two of them were classed as assassins so they just decided to slaughter each other. The other AI (wearing a funky deer helm) I didn't place. Furthermore, the hanging herbs from Koniption that you see in shot 3 aren't very well-lit over in the corner. The whole place has a slightly Paatru theme due to their friendliness with them. The Go-Ja tribe may be yet more militaristic.

The mushrooms you see are shroom tables emerging from a dead log.

Edit - Just added Ril-Waat (the deer-helm-wearing tribe leader).
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
08-17-2010, 08:50 PM,

Looks awesome.

08-18-2010, 04:08 PM,

No time to test it but here's the GoJa barracks as seen inside the CS.
08-18-2010, 09:26 PM,

Heh, you really can be creative with the assets, IG. I like how you made the shroom stuff sprout from logs, like they would in real life in the wild.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
09-27-2010, 08:24 PM,

Regarding Deeza's query on the location of Blackrose, I originally selected the cells:
  • 15,-16
  • 16,-16
  • 16,-15

Of these, 15,-16 is noted in the CS as the 'flagged' cell. However, shapes will of course change according to the layout and design. I think the original plan of it being like a rose in structure will probably leave it naturally quite circular. Nevertheless, as we agreed, Blackrose, being kind of an overblown prison, will be quite small (few might actually want to live there). The likes of Helstrom and Lilmoth will comprise the bigger cities after all. I'd probably make it the smallest of our 3 beta cities so far but with the structures you have available then there is the potential for multi-level structures.

Regarding other ideas, you may wish to raise the height map at parts. In which case, it's recommended that you erase some of the environmental features first (trees and suchlike) and take care which adjoining areas you are adjusting as height changes can affect large areas. You can always re-apply trees later if needs be.

I would probably begin by laying out the walls but it's best practice, in terms of fps rates, to create a child worldspace to create the finer details within the walls.

Finally, one possible idea might be to have a rickety platform leading into the city from the dry land to the North which joins up with a connecting river, thus permitting naval traffic near the small lake there.
09-27-2010, 08:28 PM,

So how many buildings are we talking about in total? For reference I'd like to know how many are in the other cities. Can you come on msn for a moment? Also, which meshes should I use for the platform?

09-27-2010, 09:22 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
For reference I'd like to know how many are in the other cities.

You're in the best place for that. There are pics on this very thread. (FAO others - this discussion is being taken to IM.)
09-02-2011, 11:49 PM,

Strange. The city planning for Gideon does not appear to be on this thread so I added it for reference purposes here.