Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pledge of the Lizard King
06-30-2009, 10:50 AM,

I'm not singling any particular person out, doz.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
06-30-2009, 02:29 PM,

dude man, epic post :goodjob:

in my years as a mod leader/participant/watcher, i have learned that all mods are like this one on some basic sense. there will always be people who want to do nothing but idea work, there will always be those who disappear or those who lurk without modding. its really up to the leader whether to tolerate this and to what degree. i will say one thing though: it can never be completely eliminated, just reduced or driven back for a time. furthermore, i think i mentioned this in private convo, totalitarian measures such as baning inactive members (what do you mean by this btw? total banning from the forum, revoking of claims...) may drive away new talent - no one wants to view their hobby as work.

i have said this many times before and will say it again: do you like modding? if the answer is yes then continue to do so, at your own pace and without guilt. there are no deadlines, no responsibilities to the community, save those which you yourself established. progress is never a steady flow but a rapid and unpredictable one, fraught with hidden obstacles and often doubling back on itself. this mod is, in the greater scheme of things, doing quite well - and that is thanks to you.

as for this game being old Shadow, Morrowind still has a vibrant modding community and is releasing great things that were not even though possible a couple years ago (such as MGE and the code patch, and all the mods they have facilitated)
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
06-30-2009, 03:03 PM,

RE: Banning members, the only areas that make me truly angry are when people feel they have a right to have their ideas put in just because "they're good at that sort of thing" and haven't even enquired nor read about what's gone before, what's been planned and what is being planned. Whilst things like disorganisation may be annoying, lazy arrogance is just plain insulting. There has to be something more offered than just, "this is cool. Let's do this." By this, I'm not condemning incompetence or inexperience, just demanding genuine contributions. I'm known as a VA but, despite the compliments, I don't deserve the credit for the mods I've lent my voice to that the modders do.

Therefore, the deal is my own. I reorganised these forums and I don't want to moderate idle posts from inactive modders as they're just distractions. Having a chat and a laugh is fine but doing a 'mayfly' for months is not. All are welcome to offer considered ideas, comments and compliments but, as far as I'm concerned, you pay your admission to the team by modding and you pay your admission to the forums with genuinely helpful comments.....and the team's structure remains clear and transparent.

Yes, I do like modding. I like doing landscapes, but preferably minor locations rather than all the error checking (although I wholly acknowledge it as necessary). What's still driving me towards the beta is finally being able to get round to doing the writing and having these guys' hard work come to fruition, namely the likes of KuKulZa, Senten, Koniption and Tlo1048 to name those most notable to my mind....(note that this isn't a list of preferences but simply those most deserving of kudos for doing the tough work that requires dedication...even if Tlo1048 did disappear like a wisp for a time... X(...).

As I said, I'm only going to make my decision until after the three weeks because I'm not doing all the grunt work by myself.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
06-30-2009, 03:14 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
RE: Banning members, the only areas that make me truly angry are when people feel they have a right to have their ideas put in just because "they're good at that sort of thing" and haven't even enquired nor read about what's gone before, what's been planned and what is being planned. Whilst things like disorganisation may be annoying, lazy arrogance is just plain insulting. There has to be something more offered than just, "this is cool. Let's do this." By this, I'm not condemning incompetence or inexperience, just demanding genuine contributions. I'm known as a VA but, despite the compliments, I don't deserve the credit for the mods I've lent my voice to that the modders do.

with this i wholeheartedly agree. maybe put up a list of things that do need ideas (not sure if there is one already...) so that people who really like that kind of stuff can focus their efforts on one thing that is needed?

im still not quite sure though, will you be keeping people that do not contribute out of the forums completely? (creating a closed structure like ST and TR) or will they simply be at the lower ranks of society...

06-30-2009, 03:22 PM,

If they are simply at the lowest ranks then I will certainly not be discouraging sly digs in the ribs of peasants....and then they wouldn't want to stay. If I continue, I just want to know what people are doing here. If they PM me, I can keep nudging them in the right direction until they seize on something. At which point, they request doing it or take an existing claim. At the very least, they give me an honest appraisal of what they're doing. If I don't hear from them and know why they're here, I'm banning them.

With a team of people working on a consistent but relatively low level (like spending an evening a week doing an interior claim), we'd make awesome progress and it would open the door for more cool stuff.
06-30-2009, 03:32 PM,

I've read,and its sad the greatest leader at here is left.

You will be missed,

`Senten
07-03-2009, 06:06 PM,

IG if you leave I am going to hunt you down, you do realise that Big Grin

Well I am always lurking, though my main skills lie in the Scripting area and thus there is not a great deal of work [if any] around atm. I did say I woudl work on the AI and I will, I have not been able to do much over the last two weeks due to a broken PC, but now I am up and running again :goodjob:

I whole heartedly agree with you OP, and will help you enforce it if need be :yes:
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
07-04-2009, 07:57 AM,

IG, I'm sorry I havent even been heard of nor said anything about my absence. I'll make sure to read up on everything this weekend as well. =)

My computer exploded and I had no way to contact the site until now. Don't leave, this is a great project, I personally have close to no experience with the construction set, but i'm willing to learn My talent mainly lies in modeling and texturing.

on a side note, I -had- to explore what was there in the mod. and I noticed there's a lack of guard armor. And I have no clue what kind of look you guys are looking for but I quickly made this in about 45 minutes and I'm wondering if the tribal / african look fits argonian guards at all? (shoulder pad.)
[Image: shamanshoulder2.jpg]

[Image: shamanshoulder1.jpg]

Now the in-game version is definitely going to be lower poly count than that. I'd also like to know if thier was anything modeling wise I could do preferably to construction set (I feel more comfortable and useful) but I'll do my very best to help in every way I can.

-Jake
07-04-2009, 04:04 PM,

i, for one, cant tell what that is (until i read that it was a shoulder pad i was thinking that it was a helm of some sort). what is it made of? how is it made? how does it attach to the body?

07-04-2009, 06:55 PM,

Well, its supposed to be a bone-like material? but the lighting in mudbox totally screwed that when I took the snapshot. it'll have leather straps to attach to the upper arm. along the socket. I'll refine it more, and stick it on a model and update it soon.

and I was also going for the painted look to it as well, ill add some cracks in the paint and chips in it to make it look a bit more realistic.

(also if the argonians are supposed to wear a different kind of armor Then lets scratch this mesh and start over)

It really does look like a jumbled mess x.x;

I'll post some ingame screen shots of it monday for sure.