Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Welcome back everybody!
07-09-2009, 08:46 PM,
Welcome back everybody!
I'm happy to say silgrad.com is back online again Smile

[strike]I'll explain everything in a little bit.[/strike]

The cause of our downtime was that our database had accumulated so many entries that it started affecting the performance of all the other accounts on this server. Our provider saw no other choice than to suspend us from the net.

The sheer size of the database was not a problem, but rather the number of entries themselves. To mitigate the problem I deleted users with zero post count (there were a whopping 1400 of them, go figure) and I also deleted the private messages. But the bulk of the entries were related to the search function, as the forum seemed to have indexed 3,5 million words as individual entries in the database. I can't disable the search so I'll just clean that table from time to time. Our number of database entries shrunk from 4,5 million in total to just over 200 000, half of which are forum posts.

Hopefully this sort of thing won't happen again now that I'm aware of the issue of the number of database entries. Smile On the upside it took four years to accumulate enough entries for our provider to suspend us, so it shouldn't affect us this way again.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-09-2009, 08:49 PM,

Thanks, I was wondering what had happened...
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
07-09-2009, 08:54 PM,
RE: Welcome back everybody!
Hey Razorwing the ability to attach files isn't working on the forum General ES Modding.
07-09-2009, 08:54 PM,

Are the Inboxes backed up, or are they toast?

Steve
07-09-2009, 08:56 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
Are the Inboxes backed up, or are they toast?

Steve

The data is intact, in sql form, but it can't be viewed. I will endeavor to find a way to make it accessible. Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
07-09-2009, 09:05 PM,

:bananarock: It's good that the site is up and running again.
07-09-2009, 09:29 PM,

Thanks Razorwing, I am sure it was a mad rush for you to get it all sorted Smile
07-09-2009, 11:25 PM,

Funny thing is, a few days ago exactly the same thing happened to a comedy website I visit often. Weird coincidence. For that reason it was server trouble that came to mind when I was trying to figure out why I couldn't access here...

Anyway, I'm glad you managed to fix it!
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
07-10-2009, 05:55 AM,

Yes, Indeed! I even started to worry
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-10-2009, 06:04 AM,

Yeah me too. Just as I had started t do some real work on Elsweyr. (perjaps we'll finish before TES V) lol.