Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stormhold - Bureaucracy (Open)
07-20-2009, 02:31 PM,
Stormhold - Bureaucracy (Open)
A quest that tries to give the player something different to do.

Bureaucracy

The offices of the Imperial High Commission are in a panic. They won't explain what it's about, unless the player gets their disposition high enough. The orc Secretary explains that a massive fraud has been perpetrated by one of their colleagues, and it's only a matter of time before someone finds out. They could all face prison or worse if the secret gets out, so they can't tell the Governor. The player is offered help with various legal issues if they can take care of the matter covertly.

It seems that for years a member of staff, Carl Farseer, has been secretly taking a few gold coins out of tax reciepts and invoices here and there, adding up to a total of many thousands. They only found out about it last week, and Carl has already disappeared with all the proceeds! They ask the player to track him down and intercept him, inviting the player to search the office for clues to where he had hidden the money and where he might be going now.

The offices contain many interesting and dirty secrets (other white-collar crime by the staff, notes that reveal a hidden love affair, and so on). However, the player finally learns that Carl has a cousin living in Sloughpoint, and reasons that maybe he's hiding out there.

The player tracks down Carl, who protests that he was set up, and fled because he was afraid nobody would believe him. It doesn't sound like a very likely story, but the player can choose whether to believe him or not, and accompany Carl back to do some more detective work around the castle, uncovering additional clues.

It turns out that the real villain is the Secretary who gave you the quest in the first place - she set Carl up and hid the money, willing to go to jail with the others for letting it get lost, then collecting it a few years down the line after her release, when the heat was off! If confronted with evidence, the Secretary pulls out an axe and tries to make a getaway, and the player will have to defend themselves.

The basic reward if the player turns in Carl, minus the money, is to fast-track the player's papers to enter Soulrest or Gideon, their choice. If you successfully revealed the real culprit, you also get a limited "get out of jail free card" from a grateful Carl, in that the staff will remove the bounty on your head for minor crimes by making an "administrative error" (up to a couple of hundred gold).
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
07-20-2009, 04:04 PM,

I like the idea of 'city access'. I originally thought that access to Gideon should take place first, seeing as it's in the BW region but we could instead lead the player there only for them to discover what they must do. At which point, they could be sent to nearby Rock Guard to be given further instructions at the Imperial Tower.

As this falls under TL's jurisdiction of Gideon then it might be best to have this quest activated first. What do you think, TL? It might even involve making use of DR's quest for Rock Guard which has yet to be activated.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
09-01-2011, 05:23 PM,

So is there still a consensus that this could be the quest which gives you full access to Stormhold?

09-01-2011, 07:09 PM,

Yes, possibly. I'll title it as a Stormhold quest for now but with a little bit of tweaking, it could be adapted to fit with plans for the MQ.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
09-01-2011, 09:50 PM,

That's a thought. Presumably you'll need to access the cities to proceed with the MQ anyway, if I read the MQ thread correctly?

09-03-2011, 12:14 AM,

Yes, that's pretty much the first task once the introduction is done. You get acquainted with your surroundings this way and it feels less hospitable than Cyrodiil.
09-03-2011, 10:29 AM,

I think that's a good idea. It adds a lot to the longevity of the mod too, since even visiting each town feels like a minor achievement.

09-03-2011, 10:52 AM,

Good point. That's certainly something I experienced. :yes:
09-06-2011, 09:24 PM,

I am currently learning how to make simple quests, so I may eventually claim this one myself. I was wondering whether it would be possible to make it as a standalone first then merge it into the main quest, or whether it would be better to have it linked up by the start (in which case someone with more advanced questing skills could join it up, then I could take it from there?)

09-07-2011, 06:35 PM,

I'm not really equipped to answer that. Could AndalayBay answer your question, perhaps?