Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does this game stutter so dang much...
10-11-2009, 03:20 PM,
Built a computer so i could play this game instead of stopping with morrowind but pc plays oblivion worse than laptop played morrowind...

It's not my system specs seeing as i get good frame rates (40+) on crysis with 8xAA (1440,900)

System Specs for curious
OS Win XP SP3
CPU:AMD Phenom x4 955 3.2Ghz
Ram:4GB Mushkin xp ddr3 1600
VideoCard: His Radeon 4890 Turbo Plus Have second but need 2 sata to 4 pin adapter
Mem Size: 1GB DDR5
Core Clock 965 Mhz
Mem Clock 1050Mhz
Direct X 9.0C
So why the hell does oblivion stutter while im fighting a enemy close up?

Sorry this is ticking me off does it just not like xp?
10-11-2009, 03:51 PM,
Your specs are similar to my specs and i don't have any problems with close up fighting in oblivion,
But yet i have a new nvidia Geforce card (8600) and it used to stutter like you said when i had my older version of nvidia Geforce (7500).

Yet i am no computer expert so all that i said is something similar to whats happening to you that happened to me in the past,
Maybe a disk cleanup or disk defragment could fix it.
[TITLE]
-Lore_Naga of Beyond Cyrodill Forums-
[/TITLE]
"B at indeværende er skidt naga blod."
undersøgenaga
10-11-2009, 05:25 PM,
RE: Why does this game stutter so dang much...
I think maybe you need to update the graphics card.
10-11-2009, 06:11 PM,

Liberty Prime

If you don't know anything about graphic cards hold your tongue The 4890's were best less than 2 weeks ago
10-11-2009, 07:03 PM,

Are you using Streamline to optimize your frame rate and clear the OB graphics cache?

I discovered this plugin about two years back and use it religiously these days. My original rig was a single core with a Radeon X1600 and it removed all the worst stuttering. Ever since my upgrade this summer, after my old rig died last year, it runs better with higher detail levels enabled. Just so you have an idea for comparison:

Phenom quad-core @2.3 GHz
Radeon 4890 with 1 GB RAM
Win XP
4 GB system RAM (1 GB used for device addressing, the other 3 used by OS)

Anyways, if you are interested in the plugin you can get it at TESNexus, here:

Streamline 3 Beta

It does require the Oblivion Script Extender to function (aka OBSE) which is located here:

OBSE

The beta runs stable for me. Hope it does the same for you.
Bard out...

"Stop hitting that key... there is no Escape."
10-11-2009, 08:12 PM,

Calm down I meant update drivers...
10-11-2009, 08:29 PM,

Have the original oblivion and obse says it doesn't work with it Sad
10-11-2009, 09:43 PM,

Liberty Prime is right - definitely make certain your graphics drivers are up to date.

As a second point, get the latest non-Shivering Isles patch for OB from Bethesda if you haven't already. (It may not allow you to use Streamline, but it does help with some other stuff.)

Even with a powerful GPU, vanilla OB can easily choke a higher end system when all the graphics options are enabled. Some basic tweaks that may help (Hit Escape in game and go to Graphics Options to adjust):

1. Cut the Specular distance slider down to 1/3 of the way from the left or less.
2. Drop the quality of shadow processing and/or turn off some some shadow types. (I normally run with all shadows disabled in any game I play anyways - I find they distract me, but that is my thing).
3. Drop the water quality down a notch and or change what you want the water to do in terms of reflections.

All of these combined can give a pretty solid frame rate boost.
Bard out...

"Stop hitting that key... there is no Escape."
10-12-2009, 10:02 PM,

Threw a second video card at the problem at max settings now

ty for help
10-21-2009, 07:08 PM,

Personally I don't think you need Streamline with your specs, at least not if you don't use a combination of killer mods like RAEVWD, Qarls3 and others. I have similar specs (e8400, 4890 and 4 gigs OCZ ram) and my framerate is at 50+ all the time on max settings with 4xAA and 8xAF no matter what. 98% of the time it is at 60 (VSync active). Streamline comes at the cost of additional processor power used due to a huge script running a few times a second and ugly graphic setting changes all the time (although that can be minimized with the right ini).

The stuttering can't be caused by a lack of hardware power, my guess is that it has something to do with onboard sound. Try to disable sound and music in the Oblivion.ini and see if that helps. The one in documents/user/mygames etc, not the one in the game folder. I think the settings are called bmusicenabled and bsoundenabled, set these to 0. Setting down the slider values in game won't have any effect, don't even try (sound can't be heard, but is still processed).

If you don't get any stuttering without sound/music then it is either a problem with a bad onboard sound or a codec issue. In the first case you need to use the Quiet Feet mod (can be found on Nexus), in the second case you need to reset your codecs. I think there is a reset utility somewhere.