Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
andy12750's City and Regions Guidebooks
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM,
andy12750's City and Regions Guidebooks
Completed Guides

Guide to Stormhold
By Archin Villington
Hello, I am Archin Villington, an Imperial Noble of Black Marsh. Stormhold is a civilized city in the northern portion of the province Black Marsh. Much of the population consists mainly of the native civilized Argonians, but also some human, mer, and other beast races reside there. This is also the location of the Morrowind Embassy, where the more civilized Argonians and Dunmer talk out their problems, mostly things like border disputes between Stormhold and the nearby Morrowind cities of Narsis and Sotha Sil.
The more notable government structures include the Census and Excise building, where visitors from Morrowind and Cyrodiil must register. There is no Fighters Guild hall in Stormhold due to corruption in the higher ranks, but the Mages Guild hall is in the north end, near the eastern wall. The Goveners Manor is one of the more prominent, recently built structures and lies in the south-central plaza, across from the Morrowind Embassy. The Stormhold Guild of Mercers building is located at the south end of the town’s main road.
The older structures of the town would be the castle and Cathedral of the Divines Mara and Akatosh. The castle hasn’t been used as a living quarters since the province was conquered by the Cyrodiilic Empire in the Second Era. The Cathedral is still used for regular services and masses. But even both of these structures don’t match their ages to the ancient Marsh Elf Ayleid Ruins, on which the cities foundations are built upon. Many fragments and ancient stone walls can be found throughout the city, the most prominent of these being a large Ayleid statue in the south end of town.
Other local structures include the ‘Hole in the Wall’ bar, which is a favorite of the poorer citizens. The Rottmere Museum of Argonian Folklore on the southern side of town holds an extensive collection of ancient relics of the old Argonia. It is owned by the Rottmere family, whom also own a large manor-estate in the south-central area of town. The Stormhold Mission Chapterhouse is located just across the street from the old cathedral. The Hospice of Mara rests just outside the walls, next to the North Gate. Here, the citizens can receive treatments for diseases and sicknesses that the cathedral healers cannot help with.
The town also has a large park that the citizens call the ‘Imp Park’ because of the Imp statues in every corner. Though its history is unknown, it is thought to have been established around the same time as the fall of Independent Argonia. The town’s only place to rest would be the Inferno Inn in the south side. Just inside the main gate, you’ll find the towns small shopping area. I found the Stormhold Tradehouse to be a sanitary establishment with a good, bargaining proprietor.
Stormholds’ architecture is made up mostly of rotting wooden buildings, some built before the rise of the Septim Dynasty. Other buildings, like the castle and cathedral, are made of sturdy, but still moss-covered, stones. One thing that Stormhold lacks compared to some of the other cities of Blackmarsh would be turrets and walkways around the walls. In a serious military siege, they would have to pull back into they’re walls and hope for the best. Though Stormhold may not be one of the best cities I’ve visited in Blackmarsh, it is typical of Argonian culture. I also salute the Imperial populations’ prime devotion to the Nine. You will find at least one citizen praying at the holy cathedral every time you visit. Now, this would conclude my Guide to Stormhold. If you plan on visiting, may the Nine give you safe journey!

Guide to Gideon
By Archin Villington
Hello, I am Archin Villington, and I would like to tell you about the grimy smog hole that is Gideon. Gideon is the farthest western city of the Black Marsh, and even though it is more closely influenced by the culture of its close neighbor Cyrodiil, it is much dirtier and uglier than any city in that province. It is also not a favorite of Imperials, as we have not been welcomed there since we first began our peace missions to the city. Shady figures can be seen walking through the streets, most of which will offer to sell you Skooma. Though there are rumors that a branch of the Dark Brotherhood resides in the city, I couldn’t tell because of the fact that every citizen looks like they could be a brutal murderer. The only mainly positive thing I could say about this city would be its semi-advanced defenses. The turreted walls are usually patrolled during the day, but during the night the guards go back into their barracks, leaving the city to criminals. Several watchtowers can be found spread throughout the city, but they have been of very little use since our initial peace missions to the Scorpion Pass. Gideon is also split into two districts: The North, or Housing District, and the South, or main Retail district. The North District contains the Castle, along with most of the city’s residencies. The Castle is relatively well kept compared to the rest of the city, but moss and algae still climb up its once strong walls. The Taviadorus Mansion is on this side of town as well. The Taviadorus’ are a large extended family of nobles whom own land all throughout the Marshes. Their Manor is one of the only Non-Beast owned estates in Gideon. The Mages Seminary is on the North Side too, but its teachings are much less of quality than those of the Mages Guild, which has guildhalls everywhere but the Marshes. There is no Fighters Guild Hall in Gideon, nor is there one in the rest of Black Marsh. The South Side holds the towns Inn and most of the businesses. I stayed in the Marshland Glow Inn, which was actually relatively clean compared to most of the Inns I’ve stayed in. I dropped by the Missionary’s Chapel for a quick prayer, but had to leave due to the odors of moss, fungi, and sewage. Very, very few of the citizens visit the chapel, mostly because many of them worship their false Marsh deities. I dropped into the local pawnshop, ‘M’Tassarr’s Tricksy Trinkets’ only to find that the only goods sold were moldy stone idols and some bent iron swords. I found the ‘Cold Blood; Hot Steel’ Armory to be a decent source for armors and weapons, but only if you want cheaper ones. One thing I found in this town that was unlike any other I had seen in a city would be the ‘Exotic’ Whorehouse. I dropped in late at night, during one of their ’sessions’. Almost instantly after I arrived, I turned out the door and left. All in all, I would call Gideon ‘The Sewer Rat of Black Marsh’. I would advise you to avoid the City of Gideon at all cost, or else you may regret it. May the Nine lead and guide you to salvation and safety in your travels!

Imperial Guide to the Regions of
Black Marsh
The Naga-Cradle Jungle
Deep in the swamps of Argonia, encompassing the Northwest corner of the province is an area known as the Naga-Cradle Jungle. The jungles humid environments and constantly changing temperatures make it one of the less-hospitable areas of the Marshes, but despite the geography, it is one of the most populated areas as well. The Jungle itself is a very dangerous place, with exploding seed pods and other plant dangers lying everywhere you look. Several kinds of poisonous insects hide in the tall grasses and massive trees, but even more fearsome then them would be the huge, amphibian-like beasts that crawl throughout the swamplands, silently stalking their prey. Fallen, moss-covered trees block the few paths that lead through the unforgiving landscape. There are four Major Settlements in this region of the Marshes: Stormhold, Pholmolo, Tenmar Wall, and the Glok-Chuba tribe.
Stormhold
Stormhold is one of the Nine main cities of Black Marsh, and one of the Northernmost Strongholds of the Argonians. Located here would be the Census and Excise office, where weary travelers from the provinces neighbors, Morrowind and Cyrodiil, must come to register and file for citizenship. It holds the only Mages Guild hall for this region, and the Governor of the Naga-Cradle Region resides here in a lavish Manor near the Old Castle. The Imp Park and Hospice of Mara are two of the major tourists destinations of the region, along with the Marsh Elf Ruins, over which the city’s foundations are built. It is also the only walled city of the region.

Pholmolo
Pholmolo is a small village to the East of the Naga-Cradle Jungle. It belongs to the Ka’Pura tribe, one of the few remaining tribes of Black Marsh. The Ka’Pura have a long and proud history of defending their territory, to the extent that very few educated men have ever been able to visit this tribal village and live. Early in the history of the Imperial Occupancy of Black Marsh, a few scouting parties were sent to Pholmolo, but very few assaults were actually made on the village for fear of the natives deciding to rebel against the Empire.
Tenmar Wall
Very little is known about Tenmar Wall, except for that there is a small Khajiit-run Hunting Lodge in the center of the village, and the fact that the villagers seem to be very paranoid of anyone entering a nearby cave. They claim that there are mining operations going on inside, and the cave is horribly unstable and poisonous to everyone except a select few Argonians. This theory has been questioned, as men and mer can be seen entering the cave every so often. Though the citizens will reluctantly allow travelers to rest there, you cannot expect to be fed nor is there a place to sleep. Anyone who asks about the cave will immediately be shunned away by the citizens.
Glok-Chuba
The Tribal Village of Glok-Chuba has a history similar to that of Pholmolo, repelling invaders and guarding their centuries-old territory. It is inhabited by the Paatru, a Tribal Peoples whose history is very closely tied to the nearby ‘Frograt Barrow’ Cave. No one is allowed in the cave, except for the Paatru Shaman and some of the town’s elders. It is believed that they have religious beliefs in this cave, and enter it only to perform religious ceremonies. Rumors also say that the Paatru are cannibalistic, capturing, killing, then eating any man or mer that dares to get to close to their village.
Other Places of Interest in the Naga-Cradle Jungle
The Naga-Cradle Jungle also holds several Hist Shrines. These Shrines are actually huge temple complexes, with the Great Hist Trees standing tall in the center of them. The roots of the tree stretch all around the temple, covering the ancient stone walls that seem to stretch up to the skies. Small huts dot parts of the rugged landscapes, most the time being owned by uneducated natives. Every so often you may run across the Naga, a wild species who have been enemies of the Argonians for centuries, and for whom the Jungle is named. Though the Naga-Cradle may be one of the more inhospitable regions of the Marshes, its jungles seem quite humane compared to the swamps and wetlands of the rest of the province.

WIPs
Guide to Soulrest
Hello, my name is Archin Villington, an Imperial noble of the Province Black Marsh. In this guidebook, I would like to tell you about the Argonian city of Soulrest. Its large port lies in on the coastline, jutting out into Topal Bay. The City is located deep in the Darkmoor Region of Argonia, and is located west of the cities Blackrose and Lilmoth. It is divided into two districts: The Lower Class, where most of the homes and stores are located, and the Upper Class, which includes buildings such as the Mages’ Guild and the Port Authority.
The Lower Class District
The Northernmost district of Soulrest is home to several slimy ponds and puddles, all bacteria infested and diseased. The most intimidating building here is the Sotho Manor, home to a mysterious family of business officials. Some say they have connections to the infamous ‘Sotho Tren’ but belief in this rumor has decreased over the years. Also here is the Howling Seadog Inn, where I stayed during my visit. The proprietor served mostly decent food, and the mead was fresh. The Hourglass Bookstore is next door to the inn, and I found it to be a fine source of literature, if you don’t mind the prices. Otiak’s Powder Parlour and the Bloody Resolution are also fine establishments on this side of town.
12-22-2009, 09:46 PM,

I'm liking it, but there's a few points I'd like to mention.

Isn't Narsis located towards the centre of Morrowind? You'd be better using Tear in my opinion.

The abandoned house is the Fighter's Guild. If you check the Fighter's Guild Quest Developments, the idea basically is that there is no Fighter's Guild in BM due to the high level of corruption etc. so the player starts a new one and purchases property to use for Guildhalls, and in Stormhold's case, it's an abandoned house.
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
12-22-2009, 09:49 PM,

Em.... I just looked at the map of Tamriel, and Narsis is right on the border, very near Sotha Sil. As for the Fighters Guild, I'll edit it...
12-22-2009, 09:52 PM,

Which map did you use?

I was using this one and, while Narsis is relatively close to the border compared to most cities in Morrowind, there are a couple that are closer.

12-22-2009, 09:56 PM,

I used this one (http://www.silgrad.com/oblivion/images/m...re31gv.jpg) (Sorry Im really stupid when it comes to links) I found on the site.
12-22-2009, 09:57 PM,

Thanks Andy,

There's a few things I would add or alter here. To begin with, I'm not so sure about the use of the term 'mer'. Perhaps Deeza might be able to offer his point of view in terms of more concrete lore than I can but I get the impression that the term isn't commonly used.

The Fighter's Guild is the abandoned shack and the PC will contribute in converting it for use over the course of the game as the FG gains power.

I wouldn't really have Mara and Akatosh as the principal divines of the Cathedral. One of the things I've been hoping to write (if I can get time from work and modding) is something that covers the Divine mission in Stormhold that was led by a group of monks. Their interpretation of the Divines is quite unique and it's not quite so conventional as a straight place of worship. After all, it's our only real temple. Everything else is devoted to the Hist. Nevertheless, the writer may not be very much aware of this as it sounds like he is probably an Imperial (and a sort of tourist - nice touch!). I think that TheGreyWizard original idea with the Guides was to reveal the narrator as being a bit naive and clueless besides putting their own biased slant on things from the point of the view of the Empire. So that kind of works anyway.

There is more lore to be found in some places but I think we should keep this as it is since to know more would mean seeking out further books. The only other thing to bear in mind would be to know that the Marsh Elves are often referred to as 'Barsaebics' rather than 'Ayleids' - an important distinction but not one that our narrator need be wary of.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
12-22-2009, 10:00 PM,

This poses a question, then. Which map do we use?

12-22-2009, 10:02 PM,

Yeah, I already edited the FG part, but I just got the thing of the cathedral being devoted to Mara and Akatosh from Deeza, as thats what he called it in the other City Guides thread. The touristy thing was what I was aiming for. But should he be an actual NPC? He could have a house in Lilmoth or somewhere?
12-22-2009, 10:06 PM,

I think that adding an NPC would add to the depth of BM more, and it would seem more realistic.
Lilmoth is outside the beta regions, and since it's in the most south-east point in BM, we won't be making it for quite a while, but I suppose that if you come up with a name, there's no reason why we can't reserve a house for them for when we do make it.

What do you think, IG?

12-22-2009, 10:23 PM,

Sure, stick around long enough to see Lilmoth created and you'll have deserved the credit and could name it yourself...hell, even go there on holidays! =)

Regarding the name of the writer, I think I'll leave that up to you, Andy.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]