Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
andy12750's City and Regions Guidebooks
05-12-2010, 08:16 PM,

The fact is that it's difficult to come in as a contributor who is not deeply involved with the project and contribute something that matches up well with what we're working on. This is my main point of concern as you couldn't really contribute things of great importance without deeper involvement.

Nevertheless, I would consider Xae's advice as it is very useful. There's an emphasis on criticism but it's clearly constructive as many of the points concern tautologies which is clearly something you can work on in future whilst re-drafting.

So I'm happy with the bulk of the work but it does need adjusting. It's an opportunity to expand on your skills by using a different tone because I certainly agree that 'hello' as an opening from a noble's letter is going to be something that will be widely noticed as very unfitting. =)

Personally, I like experimenting so I'd take a look back at what I used to study in English class at school like Samuel Pepys diary ( http://www.pepys.info/1663/1663.html ) and stuff like this 'medieval travel literature': http://medievalwriting.50megs.com/word/travel2.htm . It's probably way too flowery for the purposes of this task but it's something I remember and a style that I can take inspiration from. That's just me though. You may find your own inspirations on achieving the correct language features that are convincing in terms of the character writing it. But, as I say, the interesting stuff will flow from an acquaintance with what's in the mod. That's where you can get really creative.

The bottom line is that we'd have to either delete it or edit it if it sounds too much like a 21st century person talking as we need to keep the standards high. Writing is one area I won't compromise on when it comes to any final release.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
05-12-2010, 09:21 PM,

Hm, well in any case I must offer my resignation from the project. As IG said, I'm not very active, and I really just don't have the time to write and rewrite these guides all the time. My time here has been fun, but I'm afraid I must go. I'll go ahead and take out the guides, and you guys can wipe this thread. Bye, all.
05-13-2010, 06:45 PM,

I hope you're not peeved, Andy. I liked your work but all writing needs re-drafting. It's just part of the process. And hey, no need to take out the guides at all. I'd be sorry to see you leave.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
05-15-2010, 12:18 AM,

I'm starting to see why I don't have any friends.

Regardless, none of this is personal, it's all just about making the best mod we can.