Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Argonian Native Language
02-24-2010, 06:29 PM,

From a voice perspective, I'd originally had a voice for the Sarpa and had considered others although doing a full voice set for a race is agonisingly long...I did four sets for ST and that was a BIG effort!

I say use the same sound files but alter the subtitles if the player has the eye, if that's possible.

morcroft's ideas in adapting animal noises could work really well. It's just difficult getting a collection of samples that are both varied and yet clearly consistent...unless you have a pet that can be prodded into becoming a chatterbox... Wink

I liked the vid (and idea), Doz. It reminded me of a scene from a UK comedy show. Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer, anyone?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-24-2010, 08:16 PM,

A while ago I investigated frog sounds. There's a surprising amount of recordings for various species on scientific websites and more general pages for nature fans. Only trouble is, they're typically short.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
02-24-2010, 08:21 PM,

ok, pronounciation is one thing, but what about calligraphy?
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by DoZeNt
ok, pronounciation is one thing, but what about calligraphy?

The Argonians probably wouldn't have a written Langauge -all of their knowledge is probably kept within the mind of the Hist, hence no reason for it to be written down.
02-24-2010, 09:13 PM,

Come to think of it, if you can store all your people's souls with all their accumulated knowledge within the Hist, what's the point of writing things down? You could just go over and ask the nearest tree.

Edit:

Whoops, that turned into a double post. TOYB obviously had the same idea at the same time as me...

02-25-2010, 12:30 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Come to think of it, if you can store all your people's souls with all their accumulated knowledge within the Hist, what's the point of writing things down? You could just go over and ask the nearest tree.

Edit:

Whoops, that turned into a double post. TOYB obviously had the same idea at the same time as me...

Soul's of Argonians would still go through the dream sleeve, not through the hist, they just share a semi-hive mind like deal, the Hist acting as their gods essentially. But yeah, it's still reasonibly similar to Avatar, so it needs to be carefully done so you don't come off as a copy Khajiit.
02-25-2010, 01:02 AM,

Aaargh, I'd just realised that myself... We've gotta be very, very careful here.

It shouldn't be hard to give this mod a way better story than that film though.

02-25-2010, 07:25 PM,

An improved version of my idea.The player must travel to Apocrypha to find the dictionary.
True tests never end. :chaos:
Join Planeshift Developers!
http://www.planeshift.it/recruitment.html
02-25-2010, 08:07 PM,

Bloody Hollywood! Always nicking the good ideas, sucking the juices out and then marketing them for a global audience...grrr!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
02-25-2010, 08:20 PM,

Apocrypha would be cool, Catlemur, but too hard to implement I think. Besides, we already have our own other world with the Hist Dimension.

For those who don't know what Apocrypha is:

It's the Oblivion Realm of Hermaeus Mora (the Cthulu tribute Daedra with all the tentacles). It's an infinite library containing every book that could ever possibly be written (most are nonsense).