Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture request Steadhelm Sentinel
02-24-2010, 03:08 PM,
Texture request Steadhelm Sentinel
We need two nice textures for the Steadhelm Sentinel.

For reference purposes download the textures of the Weekly Cuttle (Soluthis) -=here=-.

The textures have to be similar (size) except for the logo.
The broadsheet (category books) header is visible when reading the broadsheet (in-game). The other texture is for the broadsheet nif (like a book cover).

TIA. Smile
Dum loquor, hora fugit  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
03-19-2010, 03:12 PM,
RE: Texture request
OK - you've talked me into it!

As discussed by PM - I'm no great shakes at drawing, so I can't draw a custom logo. I'll have a look for stock art, in case that's viable. If anyone has something suitable I'd like to consider it. I know "Sentinal" is just a media-cliche but is there a suitable local figure in lore that might be depicted?
Otherwise I'll try and come up with something based just on typography.

From the thread, the Sentinal is what's known in the UK as a "Red-Top" - defined by British Newspapers Online as,
"The mass-market end of the British press, with little hard news but plenty of celebrity gossip, sensational crime reporting and loads of sport and entertainment coverage."

So I'll be looking for a suitably pulpy feel.

Once I've got my head into this it's probably no different making one or several of these - is it worth doing more than just the one? I'm thinking "screaming headline with exclamation points" here, but it starts to mean we'd need one model for each of Deeza's stories because the text will be distinguishable. Is it worth the texture space?
Morcroft Darkes
03-19-2010, 04:47 PM,
Thank you. Smile

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
I know "Sentinal" is just a media-cliche but is there a suitable local figure in lore that might be depicted?
The local chapel is dedicated to Zenithar.

Once I've got my head into this it's probably no different making one or several of these - is it worth doing more than just the one? I'm thinking "screaming headline with exclamation points" here, but it starts to mean we'd need one model for each of Deeza's stories because the text will be distinguishable. Is it worth the texture space?
That's a good idea!

The base model is the same (from Soluthis), if you like I can fix the texture paths for every model.

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
03-19-2010, 11:53 PM,
Quote:Originally posted by sandor
The local chapel is dedicated to Zenithar.
Hmm. The "god of work and commerce" (UESP Wiki) doesn't seem quite to fit "Sentinal" - never mind. I was considering something a bit Daily Express-ish. It's also a red-top - although it rather tries to pretend it isn't.
Morcroft Darkes
03-20-2010, 09:24 AM,
Perhaps you could use the city logo (a fire fly)?

These textures were made by ev1 (attached).

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
03-29-2010, 09:42 PM,

Here's a first rough cut of an idea I had, using the firefly Logo - and the Paper's motto: "Light Shines Out of Our...." Maybe not.

Also, that crucial staple of the Newspaper industry: Advertising! Not to mention a little editorial crisis for our noble organ:

[Image: ss01_l.jpg] [Image: ss02_l.jpg]

Cut down to the 128 x 256 of the vanilla broadsheet and the Cuttle they looks like this:

[Image: ss01_s.jpg] [Image: ss02_s.jpg]

Still just about legible, I think. Depends on whether we want to spend the texture space.

Opinions etc. please everybody - especially Deeza: it's your copy!

I'm away on holiday after tomorrow until the 16th April. I'll probably have net access so I'll be dropping in for a bit of sanity (you try taking two small children on holiday...) but no modding.
Morcroft Darkes
03-30-2010, 08:14 AM,

It looks great! Smile

Also, that crucial staple of the Newspaper industry: Advertising!
I agree.

Have a nice holiday!

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
05-27-2010, 12:01 PM,

An update please.

TIA. Smile

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
05-27-2010, 12:36 PM,

Haven't looked at it lately, I'm afraid: had my head in other projects when RL permits. I don't intend to change the design from the last update, as that seems to meet with both your and Deeza's approval.

Is there another food-selling bar, preferably rather more down-market than the Bridge Inn? I'd like to counterpoint that story by changing the advertiser.

Is the copy for the various editions final in the relevent thread - especially headlines?

Otherwise, it's just a layout and texture production job, which actually shouldn't take too long.

Do you want the texture at 128 x 256 as per Black Horse Courier and Cuttle, or double-rez?
Morcroft Darkes
05-27-2010, 12:53 PM,

Thanks for the update! Smile

Is there another food-selling bar, preferably rather more down-market than the Bridge Inn? I'd like to counterpoint that story by changing the advertiser.
'The Rusty Guar' in Steadhelm (#08).

Is the copy for the various editions final in the relevent thread - especially headlines?
Yes.

Do you want the texture at 128 x 256 as per Black Horse Courier and Cuttle, or double-rez?
What do you think looks/reads better in-game?

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD