Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sounds of the Marsh
02-24-2010, 08:18 PM,
The Sounds of the Marsh
We need to start thinking about what you'll hear when you wander about the deep marsh - not music so much as incidental sounds, creatures etc. Over the next few days I'll post up links to sites which have the kind of sounds I think are appropriate, for your discussion and comments.

I was thinking of some kind of random sound player that gives a mix of different animal calls and so on as you walk around (if that's possible).
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
02-24-2010, 08:52 PM,

Off the top of my head;

frog calls of various types

bubbling sounds (gases within bogs rise to the water surface often as bubbles)

insect sounds (buzzing flies, etc)

sticks breaking ( off in the distance)

*goop* sounds (hard to explain, but sounds like *goop*..might be a variation of a bubble sound that occurs in very thick mud)

hiss sounds (like the sound snakes and some lizards make)

water *plop* sounds (a sound made when something plops into the water like from an overhead tree <nut/branch/debris>, or creature swimming)

grasshopper, cicada, and cricket sounds (some of these might be in vanilla Oblivion, though)

the sound of rustling reeds

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
02-24-2010, 08:53 PM,

I have a vast collection of sound effects at hand. Ambients, backgrounds, animals, natural elements etc, most of which are of very high quality. I also have all the tools necessary to create seamless loops, place a sound in any type of room (i.e. reverberation) and any typical editing task.
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM,

That sounds perfect for the job, Xaeaix! Do you think you could throw together something quickly to give us a brief idea of what you have in mind?

02-24-2010, 09:32 PM,

This is just a quick mish-mash. I had to cut it down greatly because of the attachment file size. Ibsen, grant me super privileges. Either way, for in-game purposes, I'd create a list of all animals, categorise them in accordance with the areas in which they appear and have some random occurrences here and there. I even have enough sfx to replace all the weather ambience from Oblivion, if we want to make BM even more unique.

The best way to start would be to create a prototype area to try out the different techniques (if there are more than one) of adding sfx.
02-24-2010, 10:26 PM,

Lovely stuff. The frog sounds would be great near Glok-Chuba. I've often thought where I might put a special sound effect whilst modding but just thought I'd best leave it as it would be too much to handle in one go whilst modding. I'm best handing over all responsibilities to Xaeaix to develop this then. I'm fine handling sound FX myself as it's similar to what I do with voice recording but Xae is a sound pro.

How do you fancy create an archive, Xae? We can pick over it and choose how best to employ sound. Personally, I think that things such as your soundtrack, the voice acting and the sound FX will be a separate download as sound files are very heavy in terms of memory so people can choose if they want to download it or not. I don't see why they won't go for the full thing though if it's available...how do you feel about that, Xae?

I like the prototype idea...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-24-2010, 11:24 PM,

Wow. Didn't know you'd be able to make this all look so easy, Xaeaix.... How's that new website coming along by the way?

02-25-2010, 01:44 AM,

That was a nice sample of sound effects.

Your "mish-mash" would have ended up "mashed potatoes" if I tried to put something like that together....

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
02-25-2010, 02:51 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Lovely stuff. The frog sounds would be great near Glok-Chuba. I've often thought where I might put a special sound effect whilst modding but just thought I'd best leave it as it would be too much to handle in one go whilst modding. I'm best handing over all responsibilities to Xaeaix to develop this then. I'm fine handling sound FX myself as it's similar to what I do with voice recording but Xae is a sound pro.

Feel free to write down notes while you're modding on anything sound-related.

Quote:How do you fancy create an archive, Xae? We can pick over it and choose how best to employ sound. Personally, I think that things such as your soundtrack, the voice acting and the sound FX will be a separate download as sound files are very heavy in terms of memory so people can choose if they want to download it or not. I don't see why they won't go for the full thing though if it's available...how do you feel about that, Xae?

I should be able to create an archive, provided that I have the time required and that there's proper planning. The first is largely dependant on the latter. If we put together a solid list that I can push through, the necessary time will be significantly shortened. I've been quite busy since Chasepoint and come August there's a chance I won't have much time for modding at all.

Either way, now's the present. I'm going to create a post for any and all SFX suggestions. All general modders should take down notes while they're working, in case they think of a particular sound effect. The more suggestions, the better planning. Better planning equals more detail and less time required.

Quote:I like the prototype idea...

It's a vital part of the planning. I'll type up some info in the SFX thread.

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Wow. Didn't know you'd be able to make this all look so easy, Xaeaix.... How's that new website coming along by the way?

It's very, very close to being done. Barring any complications, it'll be up next week. I've got some more work to do adding the rest of the content I want on it but that can be done post-launch.

Quote:Originally posted by Koniption
That was a nice sample of sound effects.

Your "mish-mash" would have ended up "mashed potatoes" if I tried to put something like that together....

Koniption

One of my dreams is being able to make mashed potatoes in Sound Forge.
02-25-2010, 08:06 PM,

Cheers, Xae! :goodjob: I'll take a look at that thread...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]