Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sounds of the Marsh
03-20-2010, 03:59 AM,

Here's an example of the kind of thing that I think would work:

This is a self-made compilation of various swamp sounds from the Myst series of games. As for using the file itself, I'm not sure about copyright, but honestly I've seen Oblivion shrine models in the fan modded worlds of Uru, so there.

But this should give you guys an idea of what the marshes should ultimately sound like.
03-20-2010, 08:23 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Yali
Here's an example of the kind of thing that I think would work:

This is a self-made compilation of various swamp sounds from the Myst series of games. As for using the file itself, I'm not sure about copyright, but honestly I've seen Oblivion shrine models in the fan modded worlds of Uru, so there.

But this should give you guys an idea of what the marshes should ultimately sound like.

That stuff is copyrighted, and even if it wasn't I already have royalty-free sound effects that we can use. If you'd read the thread you would've noticed that I've already posted a sample of some of these.

I realise you're a fan of the Myst series, but the sample you posted is much too loud with way too many sound effects. The sound effects themselves are fair, but like mentioned they are copyrighted, and we don't need them.

In the future, please don't post new ideas without first checking up on the current work, and be careful with telling us how something should be. If you think that something that has already been done could be better, then express it that way. From the way you express yourself I can only conclude that you either didn't read the thread(s) or you ignored what was said in them.
03-20-2010, 05:05 PM,

Oh sorry, I might have come off sounding too a bit too abrupt. My file was mainly an example of how I envisioned the marshes sounding like, not to be used per se. I guess I could have been a bit more clear about that. (I wrote that post at 3:00 AM)

Well, listening to your file, I like the frog sounds. My main feeling is that I think the marshes would benefit from a denser pallet of sounds. Something that would edge on making the world more oppressive in atmosphere. A good example of something that comes close to this is the sounds from Max Tael's Natural Wildlife mod (if anyone's tried that out) for Blackwood.
03-20-2010, 05:19 PM,

Interesting. I agree about the oppressive atmosphere effect. Could you post a link to that mod so I can examine it?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM,

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/Vi...ail&id=376

By the way, the weather/sky mod of this is a must have for exploring landscape mods. It made my Elsweyr experience so much more enjoyable.
03-20-2010, 06:54 PM,

Looks like a nice mod. I've not seen this one before....but then I tend not to visit PlanetElderScrolls too much. I always thought of it as TesNexus' poorer brother.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-20-2010, 11:59 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
I always thought of it as TesNexus' poorer brother.

Perhaps. But when the time comes to release the beta I think we should do it on both TESNexus and PlanetElderScrolls.

Come to think of it, it wouldn't hurt to set up a progress thread in their forum. PES pulls in a somewhat different crowd to Bethsoft forums, we might be able to pick up some modders there.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
03-21-2010, 11:30 AM,

Aye, good point. We should be able to more or less copy across the Bethesda thread (once we've updated the screenshots and so on).

In the meantime, please keep that mod in mind, Yali. I could do with taking a closer look at it when we're developing other regions. :goodjob:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
03-23-2010, 02:01 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Yali
Well, listening to your file, I like the frog sounds. My main feeling is that I think the marshes would benefit from a denser pallet of sounds. Something that would edge on making the world more oppressive in atmosphere. A good example of something that comes close to this is the sounds from Max Tael's Natural Wildlife mod (if anyone's tried that out) for Blackwood.
Having an "oppressive" atmosphere through sound effects will most likely result in players turning the sound effects volume down. It's worth remembering that sound effects are there to enhance a mood, not create it. Oblivion is a relatively gentle game and even in the most jungle-heavy areas it'd be much better to keep sound effects subtle.
03-23-2010, 06:10 PM,

Yep, I can identify with that. Many people claim that BM should be 'impassable', 'miserable' and 'filthy' but a mod with those principles in mind would probably be annoying, dull and monotonous despite any sense of 'realism' it might achieve. You've got to work within the confines of the game engine....but doing so actually increases your creativity and can even be much more enjoyable to both create and play.