Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The SFX Thread
02-25-2010, 02:57 AM,
The SFX Thread
BM: Sound Effects

Cheerio. This thread is here to help me plan the special sound effects that'll be used in the mod. These may be of the three following type categories:
  • Sound effects that have no equivalent in vanilla Oblivion.
  • New versions of sound effects from vanilla Oblivion.
  • Modified versions of vanilla Oblivion sound effects.

Now, if we're to do this properly, all sound effects need to be split up into master regions with subtypes (Explore Day & Night, Town Day & Night, Dungeon), such as follows:

1. Woodlands
  2. Parchlands
  3. Moorlands
  4. Jungle
    [/list=a]

The end categories are only relevant to sounds that are specific to a single area. For example, a pet komodo dragon belonging to a Kothringi merchant.
    • Kothringi
    • Chasepoint
    • Stormhold
    • Soulrest
    • etc

Now, all this is to help keep track. Proper planning is the aspirin of sound editing.

This thread is open to all SFX suggestions. Sound effects that will be 'recycled' from vanilla Oblivion to not need to be here.
02-25-2010, 08:04 PM,

Can we get a list of vanilla sound FX so that we have something to work with, do you think? I'm not so sure what is used or in what context...anyone?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-26-2010, 06:08 AM,

The vanilla Oblivion SFX list is very long (1533 sounds + 499 from SI). However, the goal here is to create a list of all the new sound effects and as such we shouldn't need it much. Focusing on the sound itself, regardless of whether or not there's an equivalent in vanilla Oblivion, should be the first priority. I'm willing to bet that most, if not all, of the SFX we'll want to add will be completely new, but if need be we can check the lists.

Treating this as a game on its own with separate SFX for now and brainstorming is my advice.
02-26-2010, 06:33 AM,

Well it seems that the list should consist of the equivalents (of course I know that that's not exactly what you're going for) first, but add in the rest as the ideas come along.

After looking at those lists you will need sounds for new creatures, new ground textures (for footsteps), and new weather types if there are any in the mod, listed. Then once that is done figure out what else you want to add in of what isn't conventional to vanilla oblivion.
02-27-2010, 12:06 PM,

Hello shadowbeast. Welcome to BM!

Many of these can be crossed over from SI and the like. There are cricket sounds from SI that would be particularly useful so, for the most part, it's just a case of crossing over what's relevant. However, areas such as the Everglades will have quite unique sounds and we'll probably need a nice, wide range for the jungles too...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
03-12-2010, 07:55 PM,

hi shadowbeast i'm none at the hammerfell a mod for oblivion.
03-16-2010, 09:15 PM,

the other day out it was nice and... gushy out. so i recoreded a few foot steps. I don't know how good it is, or what you want. so inform me please Big Grin
Bulls make money, Bears make money, pig get Slaughtered
I'm right here in front of you and I can't stop sh-sh-shaking
I can't stop sh-sh-shaking. come on and hold me still
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM,

Try sending stuff in. I guess Xaeaix could check them out for you. I would tend to think that footsteps wouldn't be necessary though and his standards are VERY high. If you don't have the expertise in this area then I'd be careful....but you never know.