Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creature Concept: the Hackwing
04-17-2010, 10:22 PM,
Creature Concept: the Hackwing
This is one of the few creatures that is mentioned in lore, and people will be expecting to see in black marsh. My idea is that it could be a circling, animated static like mr siika made in his Raven and Vulture mods: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=23523

Anyway, the description of the beast is as follows:

Jarth's Scotti finds creatures called Hackwings in Black Marsh, "giant birds with long, saw-like beaks nearly the size of the rest of their bodies." A fellow traveler in the novel says of them that "like everything else in this damnable place, they'll eat you if you don't keep moving. Beggars pounce down and give you a nasty chop, and then fly off and come back when you're mostly dead from blood loss."

Obviously the flying attack would be really hard to script, but if they were a flying animated static they could still be a menacing presence hovering over the marshes.

So would anyone be up for drawing a concept of this creature?

Another beast present in Black Marsh is the feathered serpent, which could possibly also fly and be animated in a similar manner...
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
04-18-2010, 12:06 AM,

I might try to make the hackwing, and make it a creature anyway, because I have an idea for it to fly to great heights, and then fly to ground level to attack the player, then fly back up into the sky...it's not something I've tried before, and I haven't worked out all the details for it yet.

But if my idea doesn't work, then I can make the hackwings an animated static, like you mentioned.

But I'd still want some concept art for the bird.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
04-18-2010, 02:19 AM,

I'd considered adding that mod. mr_siika is a truly talented member of the OB community. However, if KP can make a more lore-befitting creation (and I don't doubt it) then I'd say go ahead...
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM,

I shall attempt to draw one of these things later today, when I have access to a camera...
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
04-18-2010, 11:02 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Koniption
I might try to make the hackwing, and make it a creature anyway, because I have an idea for it to fly to great heights, and then fly to ground level to attack the player, then fly back up into the sky...it's not something I've tried before, and I haven't worked out all the details for it yet.
Not planning the transition between flying and ground level with equip/unequip animations, are you? The limitation to such a method is that the creature's bounding box can't move along the z-axis from animations, so you'd have to find some way of scripting the creature up into the air, and keeping it there.
Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
I'd considered adding that mod. mr_siika is a truly talented member of the OB community.
Being one involved in the creation of Mr Siika's mod, I can say that it's an efficient implementation that can quickly add atmosphere to the game.