Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talu Swamp Development
05-09-2010, 08:56 AM,

I see. Thanks for clearing that up! Big Grin
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
06-15-2010, 09:26 AM,
"Grass"
Probably rehashing old discussions but have you used landscape grasses in the swamp? Do we have suitable custom grass / does it work in shallow water etc? Just thinking it would be good to have bullrushes or similar to add low-level density and it can't be that hard to retex a vanilla tall grass nif.
Morcroft Darkes
06-15-2010, 05:15 PM,

You read my mind, morcroft. That was indeed the intention. I have experimented with this in the past but the results have been variable. Deciding which grass types are a part of which ground texture appears to be an art. I sometimes end up with very 'clumpy' grass or grass types that don't quite work as they should. Anyway, the grass types that are needed are the underwater variety. The ones that look best in swamps are the cattails, of which there exists a vanilla underwater variety. Others such as Sachiel and Senten have experimented with other grass types in the past...I've even had a little go myself...but the results have not been that great.

Lady N sent a link to a tutorial through Tamriel Rebuilt on grass types and it's a good one but....very original grass types do tend to suffer from the same cartoon-like effect as the trees. You can fairly effectively recolour existing grass types but beyond that it's difficult to achieve a pleasing effect.

As for the Talu Swamps then, according to my experience, I am estimating that as long as I can achieve the correct height then I can flatten the land so that it all exists along that same level (about knee-height or below). I believe there is a certain level that the land must remain at for the underwater grass type to still operate. If I can maintain that then it should do a good job of achieving the desired effect. Basically, I'll need to flatten the entire region and then, in patches create subtle bumps here and there just for a little bit of variation (but the region is intended to be pretty flat and monotonous anyway).
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
06-16-2010, 10:36 PM,

Ibsen, is there anyway you could send me a copy of this tree:

http://www.silgrad.com/wbb2/attachment.p...ntid=18841

It's rather nice looking, and I think I could put it to use in some Skyrim forests Big Grin
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Siegfried

It's rather nice looking, and I think I could put it to use in some Skyrim forests Big Grin

Actually, that tree is not something we have. I think it's a picture "for inspiration" tree that Ibsen posted at Blackmarsh, to show that it was a tree he wish we had.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
06-16-2010, 11:01 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Koniption
Quote:Originally posted by Siegfried

Actually, that tree is not something we have. I think it's a picture "for inspiration" tree that Ibsen posted at Blackmarsh, to show that it was a tree he wish we had.

Koniption

Alright thank you, was just skimming this thread, and saw something about morrowind trees from vality, and then those screens.

Silly me :lmao:
06-17-2010, 04:18 PM,

Np. Good luck with Skyrim, Siegfried. Are you back working on it?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
06-18-2010, 02:39 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Np. Good luck with Skyrim, Siegfried. Are you back working on it?

I'm releasing what we have completed, along with some bells and whistles on onra's Skyrim heightmap.
06-26-2010, 06:56 PM,

I thought you might like to know that I started work on the height map today.
06-28-2010, 09:36 PM,

Many many thanks to Koniption and morcroft for their excellent work on the assets for Talu Swamp! I modded this small area with the assets I chose and these are the results. Please bear in mind that these are not the full effects as fog and swamp water will also be added. I will also need to choose some suitable rocks (although I don't fancy using many rocks in this region if I can help it) but the flora is pretty much sorted and I completed the height mapping yesterday.

There are some creative modifications I'd like to add to the height map (which is our flattest and wettest yet) but the bulk of the work is now done. The height mapping itself is pretty featureless and consists of around 75% knee-to-waist-height water. I'm particularly pleased that the grass types worked well. Cattails on the land parts and underwater grass in the water completes the effect.

Great work, you two! :bananarock: