Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WC Final
07-12-2010, 07:55 AM,
WC Final
I'm not sure how many people on these boards are into football, but most should have heard that, as of last night, Spain are the new World Cup Champions after beating the Netherlands in the final.

Anyone have any comments on the match or the tournament?
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM,

Well, Holland were pretty much my second team after England's shameful performance so I was supporting them. I spent six fantastic months living in Amsterdam as a student and the Dutch people were fantastic! And isn't Arjen Robben just a God of football?

I don't think Holland were a 'disgrace' as has been so sickeningly and self-righteously claimed by many newspapers. They just played to win and the only way to win against superior opposition was to get stuck in, big-style. The only disappointment was in our ref not sending off Nigel De Jong for the karate kick to the chest which was the only thing that was truly out-of-order. You can't blame the likes of Van Bommel...who is sort of a thug by nature.

Overall, I just think they were gutsy and looking to right the wrongs of so many near-misses in previous world cups. They felt that weight on their shoulders. However, Spain's response was truly admirable and the best team won in the end. :yes:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-13-2010, 04:49 PM,

To be honest - I agree, IG. I don't think they were trying to be dirty, they were more determined to win and the fouling came as a second result. (I agree, Robben is a VERY good footballer, but he is a bit of a whiner).

Ultimately, though, I have to say, Spain were the better team and had more flair and technical ability, but Holland's determination matched that for 120 odd minutes, until the red card, and Iniesta's marvellous goal that followed, which I strongly believe would have been avoided had it not been for the red card and Holland's loss of a defender.

I also think that it is good to have a final with two teams who have never won before, and it's good for the sport when there is a change in champions. I do feel for the Netherlands, though, since they have missed out on (I think) 3 World Cups now, and do deserve to have won at least one of them, particularly when they had Cruyff, who was a phenomenal player.

07-13-2010, 09:08 PM,

After Australia getting one goal away from the round of 16, Holland was my second team anyway.
Well, atleast France and Italy played shamefully, ha.
07-14-2010, 06:43 AM,

I watched Australia's game against Ghana and I saw when Harry Kewell got red carded, which I don't think was a deliberate handball. It touched his shoulder but he was turning away from it and not raising his arm to block it, so it was really more of a ball to hand incident.

Now - as a Leeds United fan, I can say "the guy who got sent off against Ghana in the World Cup came from our youth system" Big Grin Sad

07-24-2010, 09:07 PM,

I believe Spain is the deserved winner. They were better then the Dutch and a bit less dirty. De jong should have been set off and Van Bommel and Puyol could also get a red card. The Dutch have a good team but they more luck in their previous matches (like having a goal against Uruagay which should never have been allowed, even it was a beauty, due a fault 10 secs before the goal).
07-25-2010, 08:29 AM,

The game between Germany and Urugvay was more interesting than the final.
True tests never end. :chaos:
Join Planeshift Developers!
http://www.planeshift.it/recruitment.html