Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ionith
07-16-2010, 01:02 PM,
Ionith
TOYB has some ideas for developing Ionith as a starting point into the Tsaeci province. At this point, the whole continent is unrealistic. I will let him flesh out his suggestions.
07-17-2010, 12:46 AM,
RE: Ionith
Good idea, it would be a great place for both us to start in Tsaesci. Its a well known place and of all the parts of Akavir this is the part were we have the most lore, albeit very little.
07-17-2010, 06:10 PM,

Deeza and TOYB have had some discussion on what Ionith would look like in the days of Oblivion. I believe that is a good starting point for this thread.

I think it is safe to assume that Ionith would be maintained as a fort and would look more like an imperial fortress than a Tsaesci city, but there would be elements of Tsaesci architecture in repairs and any new buildings.

There might even be substantial underground construction.
07-18-2010, 02:12 AM,

Here are my observations from reading Disaster at Ionith
Architecture
There might even be substantial underground construction.[/quote]
Ionith was itself a Tsaesci city before the invasion, but it was heavily modified and fortified during the invasion, so I think it would be a castle town like Ebonheart but the non military buildings, like shops and dwellings would be Akavari, and any repairs to the stone structure itself would be more Asiatic in origin.
Surrounding lands
There would be a large stone road between Ionith and the coastal city of Septimia. Ionith is on a river and would have some sort of port, maybe a river running through it like Bravil. The surrounding area is mainly farmland, that is well kept and watered.
07-19-2010, 12:36 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by ciao_gamer
Here are my observations from reading Disaster at Ionith
Architecture
There might even be substantial underground construction.
Ionith was itself a Tsaesci city before the invasion, but it was heavily modified and fortified during the invasion, so I think it would be a castle town like Ebonheart but the non military buildings, like shops and dwellings would be Akavari, and any repairs to the stone structure itself would be more Asiatic in origin.
Surrounding lands
There would be a large stone road between Ionith and the coastal city of Septimia. Ionith is on a river and would have some sort of port, maybe a river running through it like Bravil. The surrounding area is mainly farmland, that is well kept and watered.

We've laid out some groundwork over MSN:

Oringinally, the two cities were of Akaviri Man in origin, however many hundreds (possibly thousands -ambiguous as to the exact date), the Tsaesci having conquered the race, and the cities left to ruin -apart from the Tsaesci using them as coastal forts.
When the Imperial's conquered the area, they made only basic changes to the cities/ruins (given they were there for only a few months, making a few minor fortifications and temporary encampments within the walls, of which most would be gone by now).

The road between the 'Ionith' and 'Septimia' wouldn't be anything major (again given how long they were there), and was probably just a gravel road with mile markers, rather than anything more long term).
07-19-2010, 06:29 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by The Old Ye Bard

Oringinally, the two cities were of Akaviri Man in origin, however many hundreds (possibly thousands -ambiguous as to the exact date), the Tsaesci having conquered the race, and the cities left to ruin -apart from the Tsaesci using them as coastal forts.
When the Imperial's conquered the area, they made only basic changes to the cities/ruins (given they were there for only a few months, making a few minor fortifications and temporary encampments within the walls, of which most would be gone by now).

The road between the 'Ionith' and 'Septimia' wouldn't be anything major (again given how long they were there), and was probably just a gravel road with mile markers, rather than anything more long term).
Agreed on all points, bar the road. The romans, who the Imperials are based on, were very proficient at building roads and fortifications. Disaster at Ionithh mentions "fortified guard posts" were set up, it isn't to much of a stretch to believe that they could have whipped up a large stone road.

In addition a large partially crumbling road would make a good strong visual.
07-19-2010, 07:48 AM,

Agreed on all points, bar the road. The romans, who the Imperials are based on, were very proficient at building roads and fortifications. Disaster at Ionithh mentions "fortified guard posts" were set up, it isn't to much of a stretch to believe that they could have whipped up a large stone road.

Except 1) the Imperials aren't the romans, not even the roads in Cyrodiil are of any merit 2) for stone roads to be made, they'd need an effective source of stone, which they most likely wouldn't have, nor the tools for mining, given they were only a first-wave invasion force.
07-19-2010, 05:00 PM,

That makes a great deal of sense TOYB. The Imperials just weren't there long enough to do roadwork right, it's very labor intensive. Throwing up defenses is also labor intensive, but not quite as intensive as road building.
07-20-2010, 03:46 AM,

Except 1) the Imperials aren't the romans, not even the roads in Cyrodiil are of any merit 2) for stone roads to be made, they'd need an effective source of stone, which they most likely wouldn't have, nor the tools for mining, given they were only a first-wave invasion force.
Although I'll maintain that they can and could have made a stone road, I agree that without proper stone and tools that argument is moot really.
07-20-2010, 09:35 AM,

I think it's correct that they would have concentrated on the defences. If we're going with the "mile markers" approach for the road, we could come up with some pretty nifty designs, I'm sure. Maybe even the odd roadside shrine.

So the area around the city is farmland? Did the Imperials plant it (in which case it would now be overgrown) or was it already there when they arrived? We've already discussed in the Tsaesci thread that they're unlikely to heavily go in for farming, except to feed their servants and prey, so what were they growing here?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!