Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elsweyr Resources
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
Yes, thanks - excellent overview. That really sets the scenery.

I think the extra landscape and grass textures I've done should top up the vanilla ones to cover all those terrain types. My red rocks should do all the bulk filler rocks of the dry parts, with some new modelling with matching texture for all the feature rocks - especially those canyons.

Rim highlands look more like one of the stock rock textures - preferably with some extra new meshes for feature pieces.

What divides the Riverhold Steppes from the West Weald? I guess we have distant land there, so do we blend the WW preset into the steppes?

By the time we reach either the dry grasslands or the Dune canyons we need to have cut over from grey to red rock - and mixing them looks wrong. If we can use grey rock in a buffer region north of the wet grasslands / steppes and few or no rocks in the actual steppes then the regular grassland can pick up the red rock theme.

Might get a bit of a texture clash going from grey rock in the Rim to red rock in the grasslands - either need a buffer region or just hand-clean the geology.

I think I'll need to add a few more landscape-on-top red rock retexes for blending in the grasslands - again, just to fill out and blend: any feature rocks will need new models. I've reviewed all the available models and Mr Siika's and Sachiels are the only resources I can find out there and they're very old-hat. I did retex them, but I didn't like the result much and don't think I'll keep them in, given TOYB's modelling more interesting stuff already.

Apart from rocks, looks like lots of new trees, shrubs and scrubby plants needed for the scrub and forests.

Did you just photoshop a copy of my savannah tree's billboard onto that badlands picture??? :eek:

Quote:What divides the Riverhold Steppes from the West Weald? I guess we have distant land there, so do we blend the WW preset into the steppes?

The 'Riverhold Steppes' don't exist, the name will be removed from the map when I ge the chance, the area around there isn't Steppes. And you'll notice I intentionally left a gap between that 'Wet Grasslands' region and the West Weald, so that it can be blended by hand (the only way of handling the situation really). The Infernal City has some good descriptions of what the area should be like:

Quote:"Fine. Are we going to Riverhold?"

"Are you crazy? It's swarming with Imperial agents. We'd have to keep his highness gagged, and that might attract attention. No, there's a little market town a few miles west of there, Sheeraln. Ma-fwath and J'yas will go in and trade our horses for slarjei and water."

They came to the crest of the last hills before sundown, and the plains of Anequina stretched out to the horizon. He'd always umagined Elsweyr as an unrelieved desert, but here it was green. The tall grass of the upland prairies still seemed a far cry from the naked sand he'd been expecting. Streams were visible by the swaying palms, light-skinned cottonwood, and delicate tamarisk that lined them. A herd of red cattle grazed in the near distance.

Riverhold was visible a bit east, sprung up at the convergence of three dusty-looking roads. The walls were safron, irregular, and not particularly high. Behind them, domes and towers of faded azure and cream, vermilion and chocolate, gold and jet, crowded together like a gaggle of overdressed courties waiting in the foyer of the throne room. It was a city that seemed at once tired and exuberant."

Quote:Did you just photoshop a copy of my savannah tree's billboard onto that badlands picture??? :eek:

No, apparently your trees look so good they can be mistaken as the real McCoy, no photoshopping of that pic has taken place (atleast not by my hand).