Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tools
12-28-2011, 07:32 PM,
Tools
The Creation Kit will be released in the near future, so here's a compiled list of everything else you might need to get started. In general, the higher the version number, the better. Links lead to the most recent versions as of the time of this post.

Editing:
  • The Creation Kit (CK) - The official tool for modding Skyrim (has to be downloaded through Steam).
  • Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) - A tool for packaging mods and content into .OMOD archives to upload and download from the Nexus. Will eventually have .BSA browsing support
  • Fallout Mod Manager (FoMM) - A tool for Fallout 3/New Vegas, but the only one currently available for packing and unpacking .BSA archives.
Modeling:

Pick one program:
  • 3ds Max - One of the various modeling programs you can find. Very commercial and expensive.
  • 3ds Max NIF exporter - A plugin for 3ds Max that allows you to export models in the .NIF format.
  • Blender - Another modeling program comparable to 3ds Max. Not as well-made, but free.
  • Blender NIF exporter - A plugin for Blender that allows you to export models in the .NIF format.
Other useful tools:
  • ZBrush - A commercial modeling tool that creates models by sculpting them. Nifty, but you'll need to use 3ds Max or Blender for exporting content.
  • NIFSkope - A free program for viewing .NIF files that allows you to view and edit information. Useful for quick fixes and observing export results before they are added to the game.

Texturing:

Pick one program:
  • Adobe Photoshop CS - A professional image editor that is commercial and very expensive.
  • Adobe Photoshop Elements - A streamlined Photoshop that contains most of the features found in Photoshop CS. Not as robust and still a commercial program, but much less expensive.
  • Adobe Photoshop DDS Plugin - A plugin for any Photoshop program that allows it to open and save images in the .DDS format. Comes in x32 and x64 flavors.
  • GIMP - A free image editor comparable to Photoshop.
  • GIMP DDS Plugin - A plugin for GIMP that allows it to open and save images in the .DDS format.
Other useful tools:
  • XnView - An image viewer that allows you to convert images across a variety of formats, and it possesses basic editing functions.
  • SageThumbs - A shell extension for Windows that enables image thumbnails for otherwise unsupported formats, like .DDS and .PSD files. Based on XnView.
12-28-2011, 09:23 PM,

I stopped modding back with the Morrowind version, but this is interesting.

Back then I did a little work on tools that were able to load and merge .ESP or .ESM files. Then, when Oblivion came out, I can proudly claim to have had some of the first code that was able to load the new files. Since then I did not look at those things again. Has merging separate mods into one become even more problematic since then?
12-28-2011, 10:10 PM,

Thanks to my school I have access to alot of these programs... 8)

(3DSMax, Blender, Adobe CS)
12-30-2011, 01:25 AM,

CDP1802,'index.php?page=Thread&postID=749#post749 Wrote:I stopped modding back with the Morrowind version, but this is interesting.

your welcome to mod morrwind again if your still interested I am still working on it

enjoy

Bob
12-30-2011, 11:19 PM,

Ugh! I wrote a reply this morning and probably was not fully awake yet. The reply was not posted and obviously I hit the 'Report' button. Sorry for that, just an accident.

Bob, you rreally are still working on the Morrowind Mod? It must be about three years since I last read about it. Time flies when you are having fun. My bosses don't believe in taking vacations and over the holidays they really let me take my first days off for this year. I would like to make some stuff, but I can't promise to show up all the time.

How was Quentin's signature? Expect me when you see me Smile