Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My computer... broke, sort of
09-25-2010, 03:29 PM,
My computer... broke, sort of
Hello everyone,

it finally happened... my computer decided to cause me a lot of trouble. Seems like the graphics card couldn't take it anymore. I can't start Windows anymore, only the Safe Mode is still working (and that with lots of small graphical errors that kinda look like this).

Since this is a laptop, I can't simply put in a new card or anything. Don't know what to do right now, but I guess I'll have to buy a new computer sometime soon. As it is, I can still use it for work and university, but I can't start any applications that rely on graphics power.

I made backups of all my data, so my current work won't be lost, I just can't continue it (which is annoying since that was my intention for at least the next two weeks).

Sorry. :/
09-25-2010, 03:35 PM,
RE: My computer... broke, sort of
Sounds more like software than hardware to me. You could try downloading and burning a live CD image based OS like the Ubuntu trial to see if the display works properly with that - if it does then you probably need to rebuild the laptop.
Morcroft Darkes
09-25-2010, 03:51 PM,

Well, thing is it did happen when I was playtesting Oblivion. And the graphical errors appear already when the computer is booting... the first thing I see is always that fat DELL logo, and there are graphical errors there already.

I will try to install a new OS like Ubuntu, but I don't think it will help.
09-25-2010, 04:43 PM,

Oh, if it's there in the POST then you're probably right. Sorry.
Morcroft Darkes
10-23-2010, 10:40 AM,

Alright, new computer is on its way and should arrive in the next few days.

Very excited about that, actually. Since my laptop can still be used as a laptop, I bought myself a desktop computer, which means I got a pretty awesome system for not too much money. :>

(The decision to buy a new computer was made, by the way, when I discovered that Ubuntu looked even worse than XP, even though - or because - it uses my laptop's default resolution of 1440x900, when XP is only able to display 1024x768. Since I need Ubuntu for my new courses at university now, this was just unbearable.)
12-11-2010, 12:46 PM,

Alright! I'm currently in the middle of installing Oblivion again. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some work done during the next week.
I'll be honest, my new computer had been repaired about two weeks ago, but real life stuff kept me from even thinking about gaming/modding for quite a while.

Anyway, like I said I'll try to get some work done on Daggerfall now.
By the way, anyone seen this? Epic Citadel video
Those guys stole mr_siika's tileset and made an awesome commercial game with it! Big Grin They certainly raised the bar for me.
12-11-2010, 08:17 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Fearabbit
Alright! I'm currently in the middle of installing Oblivion again. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some work done during the next week.
I'll be honest, my new computer had been repaired about two weeks ago, but real life stuff kept me from even thinking about gaming/modding for quite a while.

Anyway, like I said I'll try to get some work done on Daggerfall now.
By the way, anyone seen this? Epic Citadel video
Those guys stole mr_siika's tileset and made an awesome commercial game with it! Big Grin They certainly raised the bar for me.

Yes, I know.
I walked into the walls of the Citadel, and the only thing I could thing was... Daggerfall, Daggerfall, Daggerfall.

They released a full version of the game last week BTW.
12-12-2010, 01:24 PM,

Great to see you again Fearabbit! You're just in time actually, because TOYB and I have revised our plans and are planning a big drive to get the alpha released.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!