Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arnesian Jungle Development
02-03-2011, 09:52 PM,

I'm looking at working on this region now and, to begin with, I will have to do some height-mapping to get the shape of the land correct. I will begin by flattening out from the quite high Northern jungle-mountains in the West to a flatter jungle in the East along the Morrowind border.

I might well keep to roughly the same textures but the assets will require some adjustment. In order to fulfill the plan outlined in the post just above this one (with the trees and foliage creating a multi-layered jungle canopy), I will need a range of items of differing heights. Doing things this way should look dense and should also make the landscaping easier than the nightmare that was the Naga-Cradle.

Top level = morcroft's Tropical trees on the back row to the right.
Mid-level = the animated date palms that I also added to Lilmoth though are shown here in two different varieties just in front of the trees.
Lower level = the jungle palm trees, one of which lies between the date palms and the other comes in threes as shown.
Ground level = various foliage.

I'm probably only going to use the jungle palm trees in selected locations and near settlements where I'm going for a more orderly look. However, what I'd really appreciate are some banana leaf plants at about the height of the lower level trees (see the pics in the above post for inspiration). I'll add this item to the model claims thread.

In the meantime, does anyone have any opinions on what best to use for the ground level plants at the bottom beginning with the mushy on the left (#1) and ending with the small, spiky jungle palm on the right (#7)...? I will probably be restricted with what I can use according to how merciful the generation process is.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-03-2011, 10:05 PM,

Hi Ibsen

Don't use my elephant ear plant - it's been used a lot already. So I'd skip that plant, for the Arnesian jungle.

Bet you never thought I'd say something like that, eh? lol

KP
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
02-03-2011, 10:08 PM,

Yes, noted. I love it but it's found it's home in the West and it would be nice to make Arnesia different. Any other points to make, people?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
02-03-2011, 10:09 PM,

I definitely you think you should include some mushrooms (preferably of the large variety, since we are getting close to Morrowind). Otherwise, I would try to go for as large a variety as possible...
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
02-03-2011, 10:15 PM,

I can't remember now if we're free to use the marvellous mushroom trees that I always admired from ST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxB4MJRX2cE . We'd only use them sparingly and preferably quite far to the East near the heavily Dunmer-influenced settlements...
02-03-2011, 10:22 PM,

There are some of those in the stuff I got from Phitt. What I'm not sure about putting them in the generation is that he said we couldn't use them until he was done with his mod. Perhaps it would be best to generate them add them by hand.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
02-03-2011, 10:33 PM,

Yes, I was thinking that might be the best strategy anyhow. Good good. They'll look a bit more special if used in scarcity.
02-06-2011, 06:58 PM,

I'm halfway through the height mapping for this region.... :check:
02-12-2011, 01:10 PM,

This region is now completely height-mapped. :check:

I think all I'll need now is a banana leaf plant in order to start the region generation process. However, I'm not entirely sure what rocks to use yet so there may need to be more asset creation. Nevertheless, we're very close to having all beta regions completely generated and, for that matter, close to having all regions in the worldspace completely generated as the others are rather small.
02-12-2011, 03:06 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
This region is now completely height-mapped. :check:

I think all I'll need now is a banana leaf plant in order to start the region generation process. However, I'm not entirely sure what rocks to use yet so there may need to be more asset creation. Nevertheless, we're very close to having all beta regions completely generated and, for that matter, close to having all regions in the worldspace completely generated as the others are rather small.

Hi IG,

I'll try to model that banana leaf plant for you. Give me a few days.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool