Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arnesian Jungle Development
02-12-2011, 07:00 PM,

Kewl! It would be a really significant asset, I think. :yes:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-13-2011, 08:48 PM,

I have fully height-mapped this region and it looks like I'm very close to having all of the assets ready. Koniption has been working on the banana leaf plant (which I think looks the best of all the assets in this region) and have set up a little tester cell as shown.

The other shots reveal how I have been considering how I might use the landscape once everything is in place and fully generated. The height mapping has taken into consideration the need of modders to create interesting and unusual locations. You may be able to see the shot which features a mountain path that suddenly stops and leads to a cliff (shot #8). This will be the location for Gan-Jugu where a giant spiralling rock will lead up towards a jungle village. The last one is the layout for Thorn on the North-Eastern shoreline.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
02-19-2011, 06:54 PM,

I've chosen a preset for region generation and am now setting about the inital stages of full region generation. The problem at the moment is that there is no place in the current preset for automatically generating the large mushrooms. These will have to be hand-placed. I will see how the initial region generation goes first though.
02-20-2011, 12:00 AM,

Oops! I totally didn't see your last update on this region, made on 2-13-2011. I just now noticed that this thread had updates in it recently.

I really like the layout of the height map you did for this area. It looks interesting and versatile for multiple ideas.

I'm glad you like the banana trees. This morning, I sent you some "special" banana trees, so be sure to check your in-box, if you haven't already.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
02-20-2011, 11:20 AM,

Got 'em. Cheers, KP! :check:
02-22-2011, 12:18 PM,

I finished the design work on Arnesia just now, identifying how to distribute the assets. The one real disappointment is that there is no place for the large mushroom tree from Phitt which will just have to be hand-placed in particular locations. Likewise, some other palm trees and variations of things like the banana leaf trees. Nevertheless, I think it's come out pretty nicely.

Here are some random screenshots from the single cell that I tested out. Bear in mind that the background is of the Great Forest so it does not fit appropriately but you'll still be able to see how it's coming along all the same.
02-22-2011, 07:54 PM,

That looks great so far. The Great Forest background doesn't look too bad at all...
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
02-22-2011, 08:49 PM,

It looks really cool, but only two thing :
1. change the grass to a more dark greenish
2. make it a bit more lush, and it will be more jungle like (i know fps-issue is a big fuck, but just a lil' bit more lush)

Anyway, i really love what i see. :goodjob:
02-22-2011, 10:23 PM,

Thanks for the comments, folks. I was hoping to find time to finish off the asset replacement notes but that may have to wait till tomorrow. Anyway, I'll be updating the bsa thread when I do that so stay tuned for further developments...

Quote:Originally posted by Vintra
make it a bit more lush
Impossible to do with simple region generation, I'm afraid. That can only come with further landscaping work where you have the opportunity to hand-place some more trees and stuff.

I was experimenting with grass not too long ago. Now that I think I know where I went wrong, I may be able to change the colour of the grass here. I am using the vanilla mania moss texture from SI here which is the same as the Naga-Cradle jungle. I may darken the ground texture as well if I'm darkening the grass. What do others think about that idea?
02-22-2011, 10:39 PM,

I agree: darken the grass and the ground texture.

However, I kind of like this texture for the ground texture:

http://mayang.com/textures/Plants/images...010655.JPG

I think the above linked texture could use less yellow, and more green, in it (and be made seamless), though. But I think some yellow-ish hue is complementary to the flora.

Do you want me to make the above texture seamless, and alter it to be more green in some of the yellow-ish spots?? I can also make it darker, too.

Or do you want to stick to the ground texture you currently are using?

Koniption

EDIT: I like the above texture I linked too, because the underlying sold is real dark, meaning it is fertile (good to grow all those jungle trees/flora), and it has green/yellow lichen (or moss) growing on top of the soil, denoting it's constantly wet (which BM is).
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool