Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Football Thread
01-08-2011, 03:24 PM,
The Football Thread
I haven't seen a thread up about football yet (soccer, not American Football) so I've decided to post one.

Anyone who's interested can post who they support and any interesting comments or discussions they have to offer about recent footballing events.

I will begin:

I'm a huge fan of Leeds United. I don't know if any of you from Europe have heard of us, but we're a very big name here in England, most notably for our recent 'fall from grace'. We were also famous in the late 60s and early 70s for having arguably one of the greatest ever football sides.
10 years ago we made it to the Champions League Semi-Final to get knocked out by Valencia (our Champions League adventure). Since then we have been relegated twice, reached play-offs four times and finally acheived promotion to the npower Championship on the last day of the 09/10 Season, a journey that even took us to beating Manchester United 1-0 at Old Trafford.

We are now sitting comfortably in the play-off spots in the Championship and are looking for a back-to-back promotion back up to the Premier League.

Just less than one hour ago we drew 1-1 with Arsenal in the FA Cup with Fabregas levelling for them 5 minutes from time in a thrilling game.

I'd like to read what the rest of you guys think, who you support and what's happening with your favourite football teams.

Please post Smile
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.

[Image: mini-Skyrim2.jpg]
01-09-2011, 01:39 AM,
RE: The Football Thread
Chelsea!
I am not british but i think they are epic
the only thing we got from the war was to learn that there isnt safety in numbers
01-09-2011, 08:20 AM,

They are a good side, I agree, although they haven't been doing too well over the last few weeks, getting a few draws and losses instead of wins.

I also think that Lampard is a good player.

01-09-2011, 09:09 PM,

I'm primarily an Arsenal fan, also Feyenoord and Portsmouth. Then again, there's an innumerable amount of clubs for whom I hold have some sympathy, but I'd best not try naming some or all of them. National teams wise, Sweden, Estland, Holland and Nigeria are ones I suppourt. My favourite player of all time is Henrik Larsson, Johan Mjällby and Pierre van Hooijdonk also deserve mentions albeit I haven't seen them play much myself. Of contemporary players, I'm not sure, Vermaelen's got real class, so does Sneijder, also I like Rasmus Elm, we'll be hearing more and more from him in the future!
The Nord pointed his finger at the building on the hill, and said: "That is the Emerald Hall, the Palace of Ysgramor."

My concepts - http://ysgramor.deviantart.com (hopefully there shalt be some in the future!)
01-09-2011, 09:35 PM,

Good choices. Smile

Henrik Larsson is a name I'm very familiar with. A friend of mine is a Celtic fan and he thought Henrik Larsson was great. I saw him once in a Sweden game and I have to admit, he's pretty good. :yes:

There aren't really many clubs outside of England that I like, but two exceptions are Inter and Real Madrid. Mainly because I like their kits (Leeds United's all white kit is based on RM's) but also because they play magnificent football. In particular I like Iker Casillas, who is an incredible goalkeeper and Cristiano Ronaldo (who I really dislike but I have to admit, he's an extremely good footballer).

I also think that Jose Mourinho is a really good manager. Porto, Chelsea, Inter and now Real Madrid have all done really well under him, and I think Inter were unfortunate to replace him with Rafa Benitez, who I think is a terrible manager, but since he left they're picking themselves up.

07-17-2011, 05:34 PM,

Spartak Moscow and Panionios (I leave near their stadium).
True tests never end. :chaos:
Join Planeshift Developers!
http://www.planeshift.it/recruitment.html