Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damn Grass Bugs
02-08-2011, 09:14 PM,
Damn Grass Bugs
Hi,

I'm trying to create new grass types for a region. I've always struggled to find the correct settings for this. I tend to leave it till last because it always bugs me.

Anyway, I have retextured some original vanilla textures for the Blackwood ferns and saved them in Photoshop as a 'DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp interpolated alpha' before creating a new mesh with the textures.

As always tends to happen, it either crashes or comes up looking weird. In this case, it's the former. Do I need another format for the textures or are grass textures just deliberately 'arsey'? Harumph... X(
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
02-08-2011, 10:09 PM,

I don't know.

Did you follow this grass tutorial ?:

http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/?p=moddin...ion=204534

I don't remember it saying what formats to save the texture as, though..

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
02-08-2011, 10:25 PM,

I just read through that tutorial and noticed that I was doing everything in the way that is suggested there. The only thing I've adjusted from the original Bethesda grass type is that I changed the hue, darkness and saturation of the textures.

I also figured it might have been an error resulting from the fact that I had my files saved in the blackmarsh folder as opposed to the vanilla 'Plants' folder where the rest of them were stored. I added them to this folder and then reset things in the CS but still no result...immediate CTD before I enter the WS in which the new grass types should appear.

The weird thing is that I did the same process before for the ground texture models 'bwgroundcover02' and 'bwgroundcover03' and it worked perfectly okay..... ?(
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
02-13-2011, 12:26 PM,

Does anyone have a different perspective on this? I don't know anywhere where there is some really authoritative guide on grass. It doesn't seem like anyone has it completely nailed down. I know that TR seemed to have a good guide on it but it hasn't worked for me, personally....
02-13-2011, 01:13 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
Does anyone have a different perspective on this? I don't know anywhere where there is some really authoritative guide on grass. It doesn't seem like anyone has it completely nailed down. I know that TR seemed to have a good guide on it but it hasn't worked for me, personally....

Hi Ibsen,

Go ahead and send me your custom grass' texture file(s) and nif(s). Send them to me in set-up folders of what their current folder paths are, on your system, in relation to the Oblivion Data folder.

I'll take a look at it.

KP
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
02-13-2011, 06:00 PM,

First thing I'd do is try it at a different dtx setting, like 3. It could also be something related to the grass settings in the CS, if you changed those as well.
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
02-22-2011, 10:53 PM,

I just tried it with DXT1, DXT3 and DXT5 and none of them work! :bash: :mchm:

I'm using adapted versions of existing grass types and land textures so I can't imagine it being a CS issue. The problem at the moment is that no grass appears at all for these textures.

I'll send you a PM, Koniption.
02-23-2011, 12:40 PM,

Finally sorted due to KP's intervention. Thanks KP! :goodjob: