Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triggerzones and Follow Package
02-20-2011, 12:52 AM,
Triggerzones and Follow Package
Hi all Smile

I thought I would post this on the FAQ board to see if others have encountered this issue and have a solution. Or just have a solution.

In certain parts of Silgrad City we use triggerzones instead/for doors. It adds to a more open feeling. These zones work for the player and for NPCs going about their AI, traveling to and fro.

We have a quest where the player is helping an NPC with a problem. The NPC has an 'follow' package which is used to get the NPC from point A to point B, with the player leading.

For some reason the NPC will not use the triggerzone or the triggerzone will not activate for the NPC. The NPC will however follow the player through regular gates and doors.

I have tried a number of different things.

- change the package to 'accompany'
- altered the pathgrid
- moved the triggerzone

As I said the zone works for other NPC AI and for the player. So I am left with the idea that it is some how the current NPC package. Possibly indirectly, like when the player leaps the NPC does not know to follow?

Follow package:

- No schedule
- A couple of conditions to activate the package
- No location
- The target is player

Any ideas?
Charles
02-20-2011, 03:22 AM,

Hi Zurke,

I have not tried this method yet, so I don't know if it'll work:

1) Take that trigger zone nif, and enter it as a "Door" item in CS.

2) Then try this script on that new "Door" :
--------------------
scn TriggerDoorScript

ref Self
ref Ref

Begin OnTrigger
set self to GetSelf
set Ref to GetActionRef
Self.Activate Ref
end
-------------------

Seem like it might work, but there's always the chance it won't. You said that NPCs follow the player through "Doors" ok, so I thought that if you turned the trigger nif into a door, it would work like a regular door for them.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
02-20-2011, 05:00 AM,
RE: Triggerzones and Follow Package
Could you create a script attached to the quest to teleport the NPC to the player using a GetInWorldspace If.

Like:

if player getinworldspace SilgradCitySomewhere
if stage yourquest = whatever

YourRef move to player (Offset Values Here)
02-20-2011, 10:34 AM,
RE: Triggerzones and Follow Package
I think Koniption's suggestion is a good trial to solve this problem.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
02-20-2011, 04:22 PM,

Thanks all.

@IP, I do not want to make this complicated. The issue imo, seems simple but elusive.

I tried Koniption's answer but had the same results. Which again, tells me this appears not to be an issue with the triggerzone, but with how the NPC reacts to it.

I will continue to ponder Smile

Charles
02-20-2011, 06:42 PM,

I placed a common St load door in place of the triggerzone and connected it to the trigger zone on the other side.

The NPC followed through the load door but did not follow back through the triggerzone on the other side.

So, I must be wrong in saying it is not the triggerzone. But why does it work for the player and other NPCs using other AI?

I can't help but think it is the follow package some how not seeing the triggerzone.

Charles
02-20-2011, 10:05 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
I placed a common St load door in place of the triggerzone and connected it to the trigger zone on the other side.

The NPC followed through the load door but did not follow back through the triggerzone on the other side.

So, I must be wrong in saying it is not the triggerzone. But why does it work for the player and other NPCs using other AI?

I can't help but think it is the follow package some how not seeing the triggerzone.

Charles

Hi Zurke,

If you want, I will take a look at your esp with the problematic follow package/trigger zone.

I will need the following:

1) the esp of the follow package/trigger zone, if applicable
2) ST esm and related files (meshes, textures, etc) (will need the up-to-date links)
3) the editor ID of the trigger zone "Door" object
4) who the companion NPC is, where I can find him (cell coordinates), and a simple way of activating the follow package for my player character (like if I talk to NPC and say "Follow me", they then follow me).

My character is just a intro sewer exit character, so they're very weak. If you can temporarily put the follower NPC right next to one of the door ends, and make it a safe spot, I'd appreciate it.

Lastly, before you decide to send me the links/info that I need, try changing the "Begin OnTrigger" section in my script to:

Begin OnTriggerActor
-------------------

See if that works real quick. If not, then send me the stuff.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
02-21-2011, 01:05 AM,

Hi Koniption Smile

1. The quest has already been merged so there is no esp file.
2. The related files ESM and BSA I will pm you.
3. The triggerzone is located 'door/dungeons/StSCRiversideNW01'. The object in world is located within the World Space menu 'SilgradCityRiversideNW' -6,-21. It's an archway between Silgrad City Riverside NW and SE.
4. The NPC is 'StSISCC0326SathrilRadary' located in cell 'Silgradcity0326'. Just coc to 'Silgradcity0326'. Raise her disposition and speak to her. When she confides in you, accept invitation to help. Wait until 10pm and speak to her again if need be. She will then follow. Save game.

After leaving silgradcity0326 head to the SE corner of Riverside NW and you will see the archway.

edit: I did try ontriggeractor but had same result.

Thanks
Charles
02-21-2011, 03:11 AM,

Ok, I am downloading the files now. Will look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the extra info.

Koniption
02-22-2011, 02:53 AM,

Zurke (and Sandor),

I've fixed the NPC "follow" issue, when using a trigger door. I have sent both of you the relevant files.

I also sent an esp, that I made - DO NOT MERGE THIS ESP INTO ST'S ESM !!

My esp is dependent on Oblivion and SI, btw, in case you don't have SI.

The esp is for your playtesting only (and to make things easier on me). Delete it after you've tried it out. I also PM'd how to set everything up, on your end, from scratch, for an official esp to merge. It's a piece of cake.

Koniption