Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge Explosion At Nuclear Plant Near Tokyo
03-12-2011, 10:32 AM,
Huge Explosion At Nuclear Plant Near Tokyo
Just in

A huge explosion has blown the roof off of one of Japans seven nuclear reactors.

UPDATE:

Explosion No. 2
03-13-2011, 02:16 AM,

Quote:According to the Fukushima prefectural government, the hourly radiation from the plant reached 1,015 microsievert - an amount equivalent to that allowable for ordinary people in one year.

Not sure if that means super humans are unaffected....... but from someone who works in this enviroment I would have to say those levels are not immediately life threatening. I am accustomed to half those levels quite often.

Quote:An explosion has blown the roof off an unstable reactor north of Tokyo, raising fears of a disastrous meltdown at a nuclear plant damaged in the massive earthquake that hit Japan on Friday.

Firstly, a reactor does not have a "roof". The reactor building may have a roof. While radiation from nuclear fuel can be very dangerous, the story sounds sensational. I dont want to down play any conditions on the ground there but I had to laugh at how it was written.

Alot of anti nuclear power folks will be all over this situation whether it turns out bad or horrible. I don't believe it can be labeled good in any repect. But it will be hyped IMO.

Charles
03-13-2011, 09:24 AM,

Actually it's really impressive how well the plant held together, considering the level of earthquake it got hit by. Whilst it's tragic that there was an explosion, this could have been a lot worse.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
03-14-2011, 03:15 AM,

A second explosion is now possibly, uncontrollably billowing radioactive smoke into the atmosphere.
03-15-2011, 09:26 AM,

Damn!!!!! This sucks, and the Christians wonder why atheists don't believe in an all loving God. This year has so much death and destruction I can't believe it.
If only this was the Fallout universe. Then Fawkes could go and adminster radaway and rad_x to the reactor and the sick!!!!! But its not and everyone is doing everything they can to help. So we should all be thankful foir the help they are receiving.

But, lifes a bitch.
The future is bulletproof, the aftermath is secondary, it's time to do it now and do it loud, Killjoys, make some noise!
03-23-2011, 01:02 PM,

Funny to see how much that story got blown out of proportion. Very insightful comment Zurke, I like this chart xkcd did too, really puts things in perspective. It would be fair to say the plant has held up commendably considering everything that has been thrown at it. My prayers go out to anyone working to right it and everyone hit by the tsunami and earthquake.
To answer your question, yes. But probably no.
03-23-2011, 01:57 PM,

Wow - really great chart.

Another thing that isn't getting as much public awareness as it should is just how OLD those reactors are - they're 1960's designs that nobody would dream of building now because of how comparatively unsafe they are. Good argument for decommissioning old reactors and building modern replacements.
Morcroft Darkes