Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crimson Isle Development
03-20-2011, 12:30 PM,
Crimson Isle Development
Okay, no plans here as yet but I figured it would be useful to open this one up. What do we know about (or would like to see for) the Crimson Isle that lies just off the East Coast here? Personally, I would like to see a very enclosed bay area with rather high clifftops all around, meaning that it's only possible to access the island via the enclosed bay that you may have to enter underneath an archway formed by solid rock. The rock walls would be pretty steep as shown in the second pic.

I was thinking I'd be able to adapt some of our rock models or perhaps we might develop a unique one. Actually, Senten used another modeller's unique rocks to create a kind of curving clifftop and that one may come in useful here.

Any thoughts or ideas on the Crimson Isle?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-20-2011, 05:02 PM,

Your ideas sound good to me.

A neat thing about the tall cliffs that surround the island, is that you can make treacherous pathways along the sides of those cliffs, on either side of them, that lead to caves/dungeons for quests, or just for exploration.

You can make the walkways, with flat-ish topped rocks that you place into the cliff side, that are either close together so player can walk from rock to rock....or you can throw a curveball their way and make them have to occasionally jump from rock to rock, while avoiding falling into the sea/land below.... :chaos:

You can just retexture some rocks you already have available, to same texture as the tall cliffs.

Ya know, you can also make rock protrusions from the cliff side that look like this:

http://img31.imageshack.us/content_round...ia=mupload

It's a screenie of that Paatru mushroom-based wall shelf. It can probably be remodeled a little and retextured, to look more rocky, and yet serve as good foothold on the cliff side.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
03-20-2011, 06:13 PM,

That's an interesting possibility. Cheers. :goodjob:

Btw, I think it was LordRahl's cliffs that I had been looking at. I'll explore these a little more once the height-mapping is completely done and I'm working on the remaining regions. Then I'll consider what else I might need. It's all fairly low-priority stuff in terms of progress but it's fun to do nonetheless.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
03-21-2011, 12:03 AM,

Have either of you seen the 2005 remake of King Kong? Sadly I can't seem to find any good pictures, but the general idea of the island in the movie (jagged rocks surrounding a jungle interior filled with ruins) seems like a good starting point.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
03-21-2011, 12:28 AM,

True. :yes:

I vaguely recall it. In fact, the original was roughly the same. I still prefer the original, for nostalgic reasons.
03-21-2011, 12:38 AM,

I enjoyed both, for different reasons, although I think the remake dragged on for about an hour too long. The original has vastly better atmosphere, the remake, all those fantastic special effects and lots of very neat references to the original.

I particularly like the way they flipped around the whole premise of the island's inhabitants in the remake: in the original, (which has a very colonial attitude) they're very much an uncivilised "savage" tribe, whereas in the new one, judging by all the massive and intricate ruins they live in, the islanders used to be a really advanced civilisation that's somehow gone backwards into cannibalism and human sacrifice...
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
03-21-2011, 08:22 PM,

Aye, and there are the drawbacks for me right there. The original had a historical precedent of some kind as it referred to something real and relevant at the time. The remake created the usual Hollywood spectacle using the 'DIY Epic Movie Manual', favouring eye candy over a sense of realism and over-doing the drama as opposed to relying on astute scripting and depth.

Then again, it was good to goggle at.... Wink