Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
far nif textures
07-17-2011, 11:43 AM,
far nif textures
Is it reasonable to make a _far.nif that uses more than one texture - or does that totally defeat the object of a _far.nif?

Reason for asking: I'm making city walls and it would be simpler to use parts of the wall and tower textures rather than trying to squeeze everything into the gatehouse texture.
Morcroft Darkes
07-17-2011, 07:14 PM,

Yeah, I think it's reasonable.

There are vanilla Oblivion _far.nifs that do the same thing, such as....:

meshes\architecture\bravil\bravilarcherparadox_far.nif

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
07-17-2011, 07:47 PM,

Thanks KP

Bit puzzled now, though: I can't find bravilarcherparadox_far.nif - it doesn't seem to be in Oblivion - Meshes.bsa or Oblivion - Misc.bsa. Where is it stored?
Morcroft Darkes
07-17-2011, 09:35 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
Thanks KP

Bit puzzled now, though: I can't find bravilarcherparadox_far.nif - it doesn't seem to be in Oblivion - Meshes.bsa or Oblivion - Misc.bsa. Where is it stored?

Ack, you're right. I looked through the BSA's, and it's in Silgrad_Tower.bsa.

I don't think it'll hurt things too much though, to use more than one texture. I saw that the bravilarcherparadox_far.nif, also had all the NiBinaryExtraData's, deleted from all NiTriStrips and NiTriShapes. This helps dramatically lower the filesize of the _far.nif. The NiBinaryExtraData is only really needed so see the effects of normal map (bumps, peaks & valleys, etc - in the color texture). But a _far.nif is so far away, that needing to see the effects of normal maps, is a moot point.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
07-17-2011, 11:12 PM,

Thanks - I've read that the engine doesn't even try and compute the normal map for VWD. In any case the game ships with really tiny normal map files for the far nifs - so I'm just re-using those. I think with no normal map at all you get funny effects with things like fog and rain.
I'm making new far nifs with reduced polycounts and high-to-low poly texture baking to get the final textures. I'll have a look at the nifs produced though, there's probably more optimisation to be done, so thanks for the tips.
Morcroft Darkes
07-18-2011, 11:59 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
Thanks KP

It was custom made for ST.

OB usually has one texture for their far nifs.

The polycount amongst others is the part that determines the in-game efficiency.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD