Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Questions
08-05-2011, 01:05 PM,
A Few Questions
Hi all;

I have a few questions.

1: How do I make an NPC talk to the PC automatically? As in when he gets close, the guard talks to him about whatever without the playing having a choice?

2: I have added dialogue to my character, but now it comes up with, I HAVE NO GREETING or "the boy looks at you and then continues his work"?
I have set conditions GetIsID "GutsHisPrey" == 1.0000 and
GetTalkedToNPC "NONE" == 0.0000? How do I fix this.

3: If someone could, please tell me where to fins the XMarker object in the CS to place a map marker that would be awesome.

If you could help even a little bit, I would love it, and it would be a big help to me and this mod as I would no longer make these mistakes.

Cheers

PWN
If 'if's' and 'but's' were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas
08-05-2011, 09:44 PM,
RE: A Few Questions
Quote:Originally posted by t3h_pwn3r_ii
Hi all;

I have a few questions.

1: How do I make an NPC talk to the PC automatically? As in when he gets close, the guard talks to him about whatever without the playing having a choice?

First, read:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/ind...re_NPCs%3F

Then, read:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/ind...nversation

Lastly:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/SayTo

To begin, you need to make a "Quest" script:

scn BMGutsHisPreyQuestScript ;; put this on a quest called BMGutsHisPreyQuest

float fQuestDelayTime
short Speaks

Begin Gamemode
set fquestdelaytime to .5

if GutsHisPreyRef.GetInSameCell player = 1
if GutsHisPreyRef.GetDistance player < 100 && Speaks == 0
set Speaks to 1
endif
endif
end

(you need to doubleclick on GHPrey in the render window and give him a reference name, like what I used <e.i.: GutsHisPreyRef>)

I think you need to go into Dialogue, and put this in the "Conditions" section:

no GetQuestVariable BMGutsHisPreyQuest,Speaks == 1
no GetIsID Player == 1
...then GutsHisPrey should speak to the player once the player is less than 100 units from GHPrey.

GetQuestVariable:
http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/ind...stVariable

Quote:2: I have added dialogue to my character, but now it comes up with, I HAVE NO GREETING or "the boy looks at you and then continues his work"?
I have set conditions GetIsID "GutsHisPrey" == 1.0000 and
GetTalkedToNPC "NONE" == 0.0000? How do I fix this.

First, did you make sure to use an existing vanilla NPC entry, then just tweak their Editor ID to say something differnet, then click "Yes" to "create new form"? You then use this new editor ID and its pop-up NPC window to make the new character : GutsHisPrey. If not, you need to do that, to create Guts-His-Prey NPC. This method keeps the vanilla Dialogue intact. Otherwise, you will get that message.

Second, I think you used GetIsID wrong. I looked at some NPCs and their Dialogue, and they used the GetIsID to refer to other NPCs or the player, and not to refer to themselves.

Look at my first answer to your first question, above. Hopefully, I fleshed it out correctly, so that it works.

Quote:3: If someone could, please tell me where to fins the XMarker object in the CS to place a map marker that would be awesome.

If you could help even a little bit, I would love it, and it would be a big help to me and this mod as I would no longer make these mistakes.

Cheers

PWN

Look under "Statics" section of CS. It'll be called "XMarker" and will be at very end of list of Statics. There is also the "XMarkerHeading", right below it.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
08-06-2011, 01:16 AM,

Thanks Kp;

Thanks so much! Also I found this by JK Dialogue Tutorial

he says that the GetIsID should be the NPC you are giving dialogue. But thanks anyway, that solution really helped!

Thanks for the XMarker and script help!

PWN
08-06-2011, 02:43 PM,
RE: A Few Questions
Quote:Originally posted by Koniption

I think you need to go into Dialogue, and put this in the "Conditions" section:

no GetQuestVariable BMGutsHisPreyQuest,Speaks == 1
no GetIsID Player == 1
...then GutsHisPrey should speak to the player once the player is less than 100 units from GHPrey.
This doesn't work you have to use scripts for the quest and NPC's involved.

Please check this link, I used this system to create our theater play (scripted conversation). The various actors talk to each other as per the play guide lines.

It's imperative to add a GeIsID condition (equal ==1) to your NPC to ensure the dialogue is unique (for your NPC only).

GetTalkedTo isn't reliable.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD
08-06-2011, 08:23 PM,

Thanks for the corrections, sandor.

I guess I don't know what I was looking at then, in the Dialogue of the NPCs.

Ack, I tried..

Koniption

EDIT: ooooh, thanks for the handy link(s) too.
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
08-07-2011, 07:33 AM,

Hi Sandor;

That's odd as in my current claim I used GetTalkedToNPC == 0.0000 and it worked well. In fact, very well. He has never said it again.

Odd, but I will try both ways thanks a heap though.

Also, I love that screen play. It was one of my favorite missions in Tribunal where you got to choose the correct lines, but we never finished it as an assassin tries to lob your head off half way through.

PWN
08-07-2011, 09:55 AM,

@ PWN - Please do as sandor advises you. He's worked more on this sort of thing than you and me.

Besides, there was a link within his link that explains things in more detail, about why GetTalkedToPC is not good to use:

Soluthis0516 "Shop near the Temple" [Finished]

(be sure to also look at the info in quote boxes)

In above link, I think I remember seeing some sort of workaround, too.

Koniption
08-07-2011, 09:57 AM,

Hi KP;

Oh no! Don't worry, I just tried it and it works so much easier and less hassel, plus it helps with my other mods. i am not arrogant at all, I agree, it is a better solution.

PWN
08-07-2011, 10:03 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by t3h_pwn3r_ii
Hi KP;

Oh no! Don't worry, I just tried it and it works so much easier and less hassel, plus it helps with my other mods. I am not arrogant at all, I agree, it is a better solution.

PWN

I didn't mean for my post to come across as stern or anything like that - you're fine!

I'm sorry if it came across that way.

Koniption
08-07-2011, 11:02 AM,

No worries KP.