Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Independent Models
08-25-2011, 09:12 AM,
Independent Models
Whilst the layout of our settlements and which factions will be involved in our TES5 mod is probably something we won't be able to decide until the game is released, it occurs to me that there are some models which are iconic for Morrowind and could potentially be made (or modified from our TES4 versions) before the game comes out. I call these models "independent", because they could still be used whichever areas we eventually decide to make. Specifically I am thinking of:

The silt strider: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:Silt_Strider.jpg
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:MW-Concept29.jpg
I think that everyone remembers these from TES3 and it would be a shame not to have them (although we could perhaps go back to the original concepts and rework them). These would presumably form the hubs of our fast transport network, as animated statics, although depending on how the creature meshes work in TES5 it might be possible to set them up as a fully animated creature, though that would possibly involve too much work which could better be spent in other areas?

The Giant Mushrooms: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:MW-Concept30.jpg
Another thing that our mod really wouldn't be Morrowind without. Now, as I understand it we have plenty of these for the TES4 version. My question is, would we want to use these or to produce new, possibly more detailed versions, since they'll be such a ubiquitous part of our landscape and any work on them would pay off throughout the mod?

Dwemer Ruins:
These are common throughout Morrowind, and will apparently be making a return in Skyrim. However, judging from the screens these look quite different to the ones we are familiar with. My question is whether or not we want to go with the ones that Phitt has made for his Sheogorad mod and allowed us to use for TES4, or go with the newer models from Skyrim, which may in fact represent a different group of dwarfs?

Daedric Ruins:
This is something else that Phitt has recreated and enhanced for his own mod. Perhaps it would be possible to collaborate with him on updating them for TES5?

Whatever the hell this is: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:MW-Concept18.jpg
Is there some way we could include this awesome-looking structure in our mod? Perhaps in Redoran territory?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
08-25-2011, 05:26 PM,

Well I would say if at all possible, get new art. If the current standard can be surpassed, and it can, that would be ideal.

However living in an ideal world is a fantasy. Smile

A silt strider update/redesign would be cool. Copying a MW asset, including in the limitations of the art format/platform itself, ie just using low poly/low res texture as a referance and doing that again, but at more poly, and higher res is a bad way to go about it. For everything. the assets we have in the game MW are not necessarily what the artist would have done given the choice/unlimited freedom from the platforms limitation, if you see what I mean. So good design and concept is first step here.

Animating it as an anim static would probably suffice, it really depends what exactly you want to do with it and what you want it to do. I would totally skip this idea of creatures for now. We have no idea about the technical side of it. But lets assume custom creatures are actually going to be as rarely attempted and completed as they are in Ob and F3. I can't even get my custom creature to work in fallout correctly. Ob no probs, F3, you kill them and they won't settle. So... yeah. might be technically hard to do. Unless you are saiden. :/

Daedric ruins, that is something I personally want to tackle. Just saying.
AM NOT A TEXTURER
08-25-2011, 05:31 PM,

I'm interested. Did you have any particular plans for a new direction you'd like to take the Daedric ruins in?

08-26-2011, 06:01 PM,

Yes. It's all in my head though. I have put in some thought of several aspects of pulling it off. Balance that organic look with those uneasy awkward hard angles of it. I always liked that tile set.

Just in case you were thinking I was actually going to do a new one, I'm probably not. It's possible, I would like to, but not any time soon I can guarantee
AM NOT A TEXTURER
08-26-2011, 06:41 PM,

Well, can't fault a guy for hoping, I guess... Big Grin

Although any ideas you have could still be useful at a later stage. Perhaps if you have the time you might be able to whip up some quick concepts?