Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Main Quest Outline
08-26-2011, 06:37 PM,
Main Quest Outline
Acknowledgements

The Black Marsh Official main quest (MQ) is inspired mostly by the wonderful folks at Bethesda and the Elder Scrolls lore that is available on a number of sites including this one: http://www.imperial-library.info/ . However, I personally chose to work on this province since it appears the most adaptable and interesting in Tamriel (to my mind).

To this extent, I feel able to bring in other elements in the effort to create the MQ. Much of the inspiration for the spirit of the MQ comes from Joseph Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness', the Cthulhu mythos of H.P. Lovecraft and one of my own favourite writers from my childhood, the multiverse of Michael Moorcock.

I hope that BM will take a slightly darker but more surreal, experimental and disturbing direction. To this extent, for example, it blends in elements of voodoo (in the form of Argonian 'Bhuru' magic and its other incarnations from aspects of Redguard culture) alongside paying some respectful attention to South American cultures such as the Maya (principally) and the Aztecs, upon whom some of the models for BM are based.

Introduction

Written below is a basic outline of the main quest that covers the basic synopsis along with a staged structure of how the quests themselves will pan out. At the time of writing, the opening of the MQ is being developed and some models and suchlike have been created for this purpose.

The methods by which this MQ will be developed will involve the core team but will capitalise on many of the aspects of lore and the creative interpretations of it that have already been discussed or written about in the existing literature or on the forums.

Method of Development

At any one time, only 1-2 stages of the MQ will be 'actioned' so that it is developed and fine-tuned. Some of the details remain in the closed 'core' board that is available on these forums to the senior members. However, this does not mean that others may not contribute. It simply means that it prevents the core storyline from being fleshed out in public, subject to persistent (and often annoying) questioning from those who are not in possession of the full picture or merely wish to get spoilers or 'borrow' ideas or any other such nefarious plot. Smile

When one stage is 'actioned' and put into development, the details are likely to appear on this thread where others may wish to contribute and discuss. However, the final decision on any matters of debate will be a (hopefully mutual) one on behalf of the current core members: myself, Deeza and Koniption....although I may choose to over-rule everyone and be a complete megalomaniac! Cool (joking)

A Rough Synopsis

You begin by trying to establish yourself in the marshes. You find that, following the Daedra invasion, the cities of the marshes are locked to outsiders and you must find other means of entry or of distinguishing yourself sufficiently to gain passage.

When you enter Stormhold, you learn of the history of Lucius Constantine, a man who is a known heretic to the followers of the Nine, who is loathed by the Dunmer and treated with suspicion even amongst Argonians. Yet his tale has resonance in the marshes still and tells of a supreme race of beings composed of all the greatest elements of the known races.

Meanwhile, in Gideon, you meet Anaster Marrowmir who offers more about the culture of the marshes, particularly of Bhuru magic and the Hist: “the Hist are often interpreted as liars, their subjects as false prophets. In truth, contrary to popular folklore, the future is not defined by them and they cannot change it but they are the source of the present’s countless possibilities. They shape what is written even as they remain unseen as the great movers of the world.”

As you remain in the cities, you learn more about its Factions and conflicts. In particular, you hear that the rule of the province is a much-debated topic. There are portents of the Hist awakening in anger. Even the King is denied access to the capital city of Helstrom. And why are the rootworms dying? What became of the Sarpa? How does the magic of the known realms of Tamriel come to have little effect on the marshes? Why were the Argonians recalled to the homeland in such numbers? What became of them? And how were they able to repel the Daedra invasion with such ease?

Your overall goal is initially a mystery even unto yourself but you are drawn into the marshes as if in a maelstrom and, in so doing, are sucked into the spirit of the marshes, beginning to seek redemption for your previous transgressions. Amongst the Argonian tribesmen, you become known as a popular figure of a prophecy and perhaps the ‘next Constantine’. As you do so, you find that you gain respect amongst Argonians even as you lose it amongst all other races…but will you ever find peace against the injustices that scar your life and perplex you to the core? Is it nothing more than curiosity that drives you? Can you trust the mysterious Hist and what they have in store for you?

Your curiosity is soon sparked by the legend of the eye of Argonia and you begin to wonder why such a legend is not more prominent nor touted by the marshlanders as a solution to the land’s unrest. It seems that by assembling the four races, you have the aspects of the Hist brought together within alignment. Like a soul with many selves, they are brought together as one and the eye passes judgement. Only by doing so can the power of the Hist be transferred into human terms as opposed to unseen by all but the Hist-drunk Argonian shaman.

By the time you learn of these things, you will already have experienced first-hand some of the troubles of Argonia, established yourself within a trade (Faction) and been witness to some of the conflicts in the land and how you can come to have a crucial impact. Thereafter, you will seek to know the four races as your quest proper begins. You will deal in turn with Sarpa, Naga, Paatru and Argonian, learning of their culture along the way.

During these times, you may make visits to the Hist dimension in order to call upon the root-magic and draw out the discontents within. Amongst other things, this will involve counter-acting the effects that diminish the sap’s stranglehold on the Hist-origins of the races. This appears to be in line with Shamanic wishes and will bring about your redemption.

NB: It is worth pointing out at this point that the 'transgressions' for which you are seeking redemption are currently in discussion, whether to supply a backstory for the PC or to simply imply such things and leave them open.

Many of the warring Factions will react adversely towards you trying to unite the land whilst others will regard you as foolish for even attempting to tame such sheer entropy as the Hist represent.

The ultimate goal is to arrive in Helstrom with the eye to perform a ritual but various forces stand in your way (some of which are already developed). On your journey, various events occur that increasingly impose the message that the path you are on cannot be departed from now that you have begun walking down it.

As for the end of the ritual, many legends and prophecies are spoken of but it seems that the wild, creative magics of the Hist are seeking to advance forward another step in their evolution that could affect all life in Tamriel...and you, the player, lie at the centre of this maelstrom.

Quest Structure Outline

Quest Sequence

The introduction is currently being worked on but the main quest consists of four main parts or stages and goes as follows:
  1. 1) Access to the cities – through the official channels such as Stormhold’s Customs and Excise offices. This may also involve making use of ‘stealth entrances’.
  2. 2) Establishing yourself – primarily, you must choose at least one Faction and attain a particular level and secondly, you must earn the trust of the local Argonians.
  3. 3) The Eye – ‘clear the path’ for the Sarpa, Naga, Paatru and Argonian races.
  4. 4) The legacy of Helstrom and the calling of the Hist – gathering forces to help you defeat the King who, under the influence of the Sload, is abusing ‘bhuru magic’ to his own ends.
    [/list=1]

Further details will be provided that flesh out these stages in full but written below are sample excerpts of what will comprise the largest stage of the MQ.

Sarpa Questlines

1. Prize catch of the Trillium Magnata – find a trapped Sarpa in the possession of the Trillium Magnata. Under the assistance of a shaman, seek the rebirth of the race.
    2. Tribal loyalties – undergo several rituals in order to become accepted as a tribesman in some settlements so that you can bring the Sarpa back for the purposes of the ritual of the eye.
    3. Redemption – unlike the other races, the Sarpa are no longer favoured by the Hist. You must have them accepted again by entering the Hist Dimension.
      [/list=1]

Paatru Questlines

1. In development.
        [/list=1]

Naga Questlines

1. The Mercenary – banish bandits from Naga territories by pitting them against one another.
        2. Other ideas in development.
          [/list=1]

Argonian Questlines

1. Relations with the Dres – re-establish Argonian lands and liberate them from the Dres.
          2. Ravaging of the Marshes – Using the dreaded Bhuru magic, revisit battles such as the battle of Dorzsa Pass (Scorpion Pass) between Argonian forces and their invaders which led to the destruction of Hist saplings. Return with the seeds. This counteracts the Argonian failing to defend their homeland and is known as ‘root transfiguration’.
          3. Uniting the tribes – before the battle against the King and his Sload allies, bring the tribes together to fight for you.
            [/list=1]
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
08-26-2011, 07:27 PM,

wow..... that post sure had impact.......
So yeah I'm 13 and small for my age, at least that will make me a decent Dwarf Big Grin
08-26-2011, 07:45 PM,

This is very Morrowind-esque! I like the structure - we can build the main questlines off of that.

So I would suggest an overall Black Marsh quest master, with four main quest lines. As the various lines are completed, the master is updated. You'd also have quest lines for the guilds and other side quests. If participation in the guilds goes towards earning trust and advancement in the main quest line, then you would do those updates in the master.

Just throwing out some early thoughts. But I do suggest we look at putting a structure like this in place even though all the content isn't there yet.
[align=center]My Mods
08-26-2011, 08:04 PM,

Thanks AB. We'll take a look at that. :yes:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
08-27-2011, 08:15 AM,

Hey there I just had this little idea that we could perhaps use, what if the final battle is divided in two parts, you know what, Ill just explain:

Part 1
You as a player arrive at Fort Swampmoth with your gathered allies, Naga, Sarpa, Paatru and Argonian Warriors are all present. The King and his Sload allies are standing on the battlements, its not long or a rain of arrows falls upon your forces. Which of course forces you to shoot either arrows or spells back onto the Sload. The King stands behind his two huge Sload Bodyguards and cannot be hit if the Bodyguards are not yet killed. So you have to shoot or spellify the two bodyguards so they fall over. As soon as the king is hit he runs inside, all the archers follow him. A few seconds later the gate opens and the Sload Warriors come out, assaulting your forces. But in the background the Kings best Magician casts a massive spell, a Portal to the Hist Dimension itself, the spell consumes the Magicians life. The King flees into the portal with his most loyal Shamans and Warriors following him. After the forces that are still assaulting your forces are defeated, one of the tribes leaders (I don't know what they did in the storyline and I don't know which one would best fit the role). Approaches you and sais that they will hold the fort. Now every tribe gives one of its warriors to accompany you into the Hist Dimension.

Part 2
You and four warriors, one from each tribe, enter the Hist Dimension to be greeted by Sload Warriors and Spriggans (with Spriggans I generally mean Spriggans and the general Black Marsh Creatures) who are awoken by the Kings Shamans. Fight yourself a way across the very long bridge filled with Sload Warriors, Spriggans and a few Sload Shamans. When you reach the end enter the Tree Palace to find a huge hall. The Sload General (with a higher scale so he looks huge Smile ) and his warriors are guarding a door, they all assault you and in the fight your soldiers are most likely to get killed. If they don't, they will after the fight tell you that they will stay behind to guard the entrance. If you go through the door you will find the King, accompanied by no one less than Lucius Constantine. After some dialogue this ends up in a fight of you against the King, Lucius will not attack you but stand at the side (in the dialogue will be said that you and the king will have a duel). When you have killed the king (the rather tough king) Lucius approaches you and tells you that he HAD to summon the Hist to repel the Oblivion Invasion, and to prevent the Hists evil-minded Spriggans and other followers from entering the world, but he also tells that doing so will cost him his life. He now teleports you out of the Hist Dimension where you see it close and you see the ultimate threath end.

If certain parts don't match with the rest of the main quest line I will try to improve it, if the whole idea sucks, well then Im okay with that.

Shanasha
Well here I am, I guess.........
08-27-2011, 08:35 AM,

Nice call using Lucius in your story Ella! I had a nice idea (I think it was mentioned before in some thread) about the Naga storyline. Since I saw it was yet open I thought that one of the missions could be freeing an actually innocent Naga from a prison or outpost with Imperial Defenders; that idea, or maybe retrieve the daughter of the leader of the tribe from, Greenspring maybe, I already have a female Naga in there. Well I hope you like the ideas and do something with it, gotta get to the last of my Physics and then my German so I must at least be able to do some cluttering today.
So yeah I'm 13 and small for my age, at least that will make me a decent Dwarf Big Grin
08-27-2011, 10:56 AM,

Nice but it doesn't fit with the lore and my plans for the Constantine storyline. One thing is that the King of the Royal Court is actually not in favour with the Hist and this is the reason why he lives away from the ancient capital of Helstrom in Lilmoth. Generally, the Hist's shaman are against him. Furthermore, I'd prefer Lucius to be a background figure for now....he needs to be fully fleshed out over time.

How this MQ thread works is just as a notification of what's going on in the big scale. I'm afraid I have to censor the creative development of the furthest reaches of the project to particular members in the interests of avoiding the 'too many cooks' problem. Therefore, there are some parts of this structure that are already partly developed and not open to interpretation and only the parts that are 'actioned' are open to discussion.

Otherwise, things would get very messy as I know how many people would love to 'do the main quest' themselves.

At the moment, the opening is being worked on. Thereafter, we will open up and 'action' the 'getting into the cities stage'. I'd welcome suggestions on that...
08-27-2011, 11:09 AM,

alright then, ill tell Ella
08-27-2011, 07:35 PM,

Well its about time you did Miz! X(
Well here I am, I guess.........
08-28-2011, 01:42 AM,

Hi IG;

I actually thought this to be very Morrowindy in deed! I love it to tears, and would be honoured to aid in ideas and questing help, Ai and Dialogue are my faveorites so if AndalayBay needs help, I am on board, I would drop it all to help!

Will post some ideas for Naga. Now are they going to be brought back to the public like the Sarpa, or are you just going to gain their trust?

PWN
great Job to whoever wrote it. I think IG.
If 'if's' and 'but's' were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas