Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating Patches with the Construction Set Extender
03-15-2013, 04:43 AM,
Creating Patches with the Construction Set Extender
Introduction

shadeMe has created an OBSE plugin that greatly enhances the Construction Set, called the Construction Set Extender (CSE). The CSE not only fixes a ton of bugs in the Construction Set, it also adds a ton of enhancements. You can use the CSE to create your mod even if you don't plan on using the OBSE for your mod - it does NOT make your mod dependent on OBSE.

In this guide, I will explain how to create patches with the CSE.

One of the features of the CSE is that it will automatically flip the master flag on a plugin so that any plugin can be used as a master file. This makes the process of creating patches much easier. There is no need to use other tools to flip the master flag or fussing with mod de-isolation techniques.

Installing the CSE

If you aren't using OBSE already, you will need to download and install that first. Details on the most recent version of OBSE and download links can be found in the discussion thread on the Bethesda official forums. You can download the current release of the CSE from here. If you wish to help test the latest release, you can register at Dark Creations and request access in the CSE thread. Once you've downloaded the package, unzip the archive to the Oblivion game directory.

The newer versions of the CSE have a batch file for starting it called Launch CSE.bat. I suggest creating a shortcut to that batch file and putting it on your desktop or taskbar.

Creating a Patch

Creating a patch on a regular plugin with the CSE is exactly the same as creating a patch on a master with the CS.
  • Open the CSE.
  • Double-click on the plugin that you are patching. Do NOT click on the Select as Active File button.
  • Click Ok.
  • Click Yes when prompted to continue without selecting an active file.

Make your desired changes. When you save your file, a new plugin will be created. To continue working on your patch, just double-click it from the Data dialogue and click on Set As Active File, then click Ok. The CSE will automatically load all required plugins.

Brief Overview of the CSE

Have a look at my CSE tips thread for some tips. Here's a quick overview to get you started.

First, when you open the CS with OBSE after installing the CSE, your CS should look something like this:

.jpg   CSE1small.jpg (Size: 134.57 KB / Downloads: 1)

You may not see the Console Window as it might be hidden behind the other windows. Try pulling the Object Window aside - the Console Window often winds up under the Object window. I recommend you keep the Console Window open while you are working, even if you need to make it tiny. Errors and messages don't pop up any more with the CSE - they are displayed in the Console Window instead.

Here's a close-up of the Console Window:

.jpg   CSEConsoleMenu.jpg (Size: 84.28 KB / Downloads: 0)

You can right-click on the Console Window to display the context menu. If you select Open Log, you will open a text file with all output written to the Console window. The Console Window will only display the last batch of messages, so you may need to open the log from time-to-time to see all the messages. The Change Log shows you everything you have modified in your current session - whether you intended those changes or not...

The CSE helps reduce unintentional edits by offering a Cancel button on many of the dialogue boxes. If you are just looking something up, get in the habit of clicking Cancel to ensure you don't inadvertently modify a record. Unfortunately there is no Cancel button on the Quest window, so save your plugin before opening the Quest window. If the plugin shows an unintended change, close down the CS, telling it that you don't want to save your changes. Or clean your plugin with TES4Edit before submitting it for merging or releasing it to the community.
[align=center]My Mods
03-16-2013, 12:24 PM,

Thanks for writing and posting this guide. Smile

The CSE is great tool, BSF discussion.
Dum loquor, hora fugitĀ  - While I speak the time flies

Ovid 43 BC - 17 AD