Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6th House Bells
08-03-2006, 11:20 AM,
6th House Bells
I will be needing bell sounds for the Sixth House Bells. There will need to be 6 variations on the same bell sound, but I would also like a set of sounds for just bumping the bells (rather than ringing the bells). These extra sounds could just be quieter versions of the ringing sounds. The sounds need to be in mono for use with PlaySound3D (I think).

I found this site, but haven't listened to the sounds thoroughly. If anyone has good sound links please post them. Thanks for any help.

The original bell sounds can be downloaded here for reference.
08-03-2006, 11:27 AM,

I'm sure only wavs would work, and halfway sure only wavs that have:
- bit rate: 705kbps
- sample rate: 44Khz
- sample size: 16 bit
- channels: 1 (mono), like you said
- audio format: PCM
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
08-03-2006, 01:33 PM,

for bells I am thinking old style Chinese bells... but... I dunno where to find them and bang them with a stick.... and record the sound....
08-03-2006, 02:20 PM,

If I remember right I think bells in MW were tuned in quartertones which is why they sounded so dissonant. I'll try creating some unique bell sounds and see what I come up with.
08-03-2006, 04:03 PM,

Something like these?

When you find one you like you will only have to change the pitch to create the others.
08-03-2006, 05:40 PM,

*Claps*

Those are nice.
08-03-2006, 08:56 PM,

They are nice. Did you make them as the sounds of bumping against them, because they don't sound like they were struck with anything.
Honorary Member of Silgrad Tower

Buy a Silgrad T-Shirt*
*not sold anywhere
08-03-2006, 09:36 PM,

They sound really nice, bobbyhood!

But I think they were too long, though. One to one and a half second or something like that would probably work better in my humble opinion, so that the player can entertain himself a bit with making music?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
08-04-2006, 12:07 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by noremorse
They are nice. Did you make them as the sounds of bumping against them, because they don't sound like they were struck with anything.

I assumed the striking sound effect would be triggered by the weapon when it hits the bell so I didn't add that.

As for length, I am trying to go for big realistic ambience. When you strike a big bell the overtones resonate for a long time. But I can see the need for shorter ones in-game. I'll try some different mixes as well as "bumping" sounds. But right now I've got to get to work :|
08-04-2006, 12:14 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by bobbyhood
I assumed the striking sound effect would be triggered by the weapon when it hits the bell so I didn't add that.

As for length, I am trying to go for big realistic ambience. When you strike a big bell the overtones resonate for a long time. But I can see the need for shorter ones in-game. I'll try some different mixes as well as "bumping" sounds. But right now I've got to get to work :|

It wouldn't, it has to be activated with the spacebar. Hitting it just provides hardcoded sound effects that may or may not depend on what layer the collision mesh is. I know the layer affects the sound when walking on the model, but I haven't experimented very much with the sound it makes when striking it... but I'm digressing. The sound effect is the only sound that would be heard.
Angel mired in filth