Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Request.
04-07-2006, 02:17 AM,

Ok you guys are way ahead of me. I won't even get to open teh game for at least another 9 days. I'm gonan keep checking in here and do my best to keep up with it until then adn then expect me to dissapear for a few days or so to familiarize myself with the game and con set. by teh end of april I'll be back and ready to help as best i can. I dont' know about teh whole oblivion sucking but i did like morrowind feel so I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I work with teh set to see how it can best be captured. take care all.
As the wind blows by the breeze takes me where it will and freely I go to spread peace on the wind.
04-07-2006, 09:07 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Arklon
(seriously, everything I've seen in Oblivion has almost every last fantasy cliche in existence with little uniqueness) or even the real world (due to the shallowness of the lore and its presence in the game)... yes, I was defending most aspects Oblivion the first 5 days of playing it, but continuous hack-'n-slash in nearly uniform dungeons and dullish quests doesn't have a lot of play lifetime.

Two things:

1)Morrowind is a totally different region than Cyrodiil. I heard somewhere that Morrowind has obscure creatures because they were misshapen by the blight and all that bad stuff. Cyrodiil was meant to have normal creatures and normal foods, because it is what humans eat, and nothing has deformed it.

Cyrodiil was supposed to be a dungeons and dragons area. What other fantasy cliches are there? I am sure that all of them were supposed to be in there from the start.

2) Dullish quests? You must have been playing the Fighter's Guild. Have you even tried the Dark Brotherhood? It is flippin' amazing! I have never seen such a crazy storyline in any game, ever.
04-07-2006, 10:00 AM,

I have been playing Oblivion for only a week and I see that many of your criticisms were well-founded. But let's nor forget two things: Oblivion as a visual experience is streets ahead of Morrowind, and that THIS IS THE ORROPTUNITY TO CREATE A MOD THAT WILL HAVE BOTH THE VISUAL IMPACT OF OBLIVION AND THE STANGE, MYSTIC DEPTH OF MORROWIND!!!

And for inspirartion we can look back all the way to Daggerfall as well.

The way to do it is with good quest wrtiers who can weave their quests together...so that many ofl the quests threads, if followed long enough, will mesh.

Do it, you more experienced modders! Create for us a masterpiece that will make Bethesda hang its collective head in shame!
Professor, Pervert, Sinner, Saint
04-07-2006, 10:46 AM,

The problem this time around is the more depth of NPC dialog we want the more voice work needs doing, and in turn the download swells in size (although of course the wait would be even more worth it). The ideal of course would be to have something exactly like MW's LGNPC (Less Generic NPC) project, but I really can't see the actors (or server bandwidth!) coping with that.

I'd help, but considering that a good 80% of Vvardenfell's residents are Dunmer and my best attempt sounds like a Macy Gray impersonation I doubt I'll be of much help to this project. Big Grin Of course first I have to get a microphone... hmmm... I never did find out if the Singstar ones work...

EDIT: on second thoughts, I don't sound that bad. Not so much "Macy Gray", more like "chain smoker with terminal throat cancer". Wink
04-07-2006, 11:51 AM,

I read once upon a time that voiced dialogue can be turned off and replaced with subtitles. Is that possible within the Oblivion game itself? If so, we could go with subtitles in our mods and just turn off the voices in the primary game to make it match.
04-07-2006, 12:00 PM,

That is something that is just controlled by the player themself in the options menu... I don't think there's anyway to cease control of that in a mod unless you just want to say in the readme "please turn off audio dialog and turn on subtitles in order to use our mod".
- Brett the Cryonaut
Head of creature-development for TES4: Vvardenfell
- & -
Owner / Maintainer of Morrowind-Mods.org
http://www.morrowind-mods.org
04-07-2006, 01:12 PM,

they confirmed it. it's possible to have dialouge (written subtitles, like morrowind) with no spoken voice, though there is an option to implement voice if you want :yes:
"What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?"

"The ignorant say more than they know, the wise know more than they say"
04-07-2006, 07:26 PM,

right, but you can't have it so your mod turns off all the audio dialog for the rest of the game.
- Brett the Cryonaut
Head of creature-development for TES4: Vvardenfell
- & -
Owner / Maintainer of Morrowind-Mods.org
http://www.morrowind-mods.org
04-07-2006, 08:04 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by TheMann777
Quote:Originally posted by Arklon
2) Dullish quests? You must have been playing the Fighter's Guild. Have you even tried the Dark Brotherhood? It is flippin' amazing! I have never seen such a crazy storyline in any game, ever.
The Mage's Guild, actually. BORING. You're pretty much just an errand boy. The Thieve's Guild was better, but it just seemed a tad too short. And the main quest was horribly dull and it seemed that Martin is the hero, not you. In Morrowind, it just felt great to be the Nerevarine. You destroyed Dagoth Ur. You saved Morrowind. In Oblivion, you're just another champion of Cyrodiil.
04-07-2006, 08:57 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Vrenir
we could go with subtitles in our mods and just turn off the voices in the primary game to make it match.

Nuh-uh. One of Oblivion's most impressive achievements is that it is fully voiced, and many players won't want to sacrifice voices in one province to read subtitles in another.

And second of all that would cheapen the otherwise all-star quality this team (and other teams) are aiming for. If we have to use subtitles during testing, fine. If we have to have temporarily awful voice work by just whoever we can bully into doing it then fine. But there's no way it should be left out altogether.

*goes off to brush up on his Dunmer*