Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anthology of hard-to-find CS tips
02-16-2007, 09:25 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Seniosh
And now seniosh's noob tip of the day!
to use a reference in script, you have to check "persistant reference" on the object in the CS. Not the base object, but you have to go into the view screen, find the placed object, click on it, ect. I wouldn't be suprised if most of the guys posting here knew that already, but I didn't! (made scripting super fun for a half-hour)

It took me awhile to figure out that when I started on my first quest. It's handy not to have to clutter the lists with new objects all the time as it was in Morrowind Smile
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-03-2007, 12:59 AM,

If you are trying to put dialogue on a non-playable race NPC (ex daedra NPCs) Make sure that you have not set as a condition for your quest "Getisplayablerace == 1" For some reason, many quests carry this condition, and guides often recommend you add this as well. Obviously though, if you are trying to add dialogue to a non-playable race, this condition blocks you from doing so.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
06-27-2007, 02:21 PM,

Characters->Packages

To find ai packs, and ones you made but lost in the npc's ai Smile
02-10-2008, 02:31 AM,

Never click "ok" when you just want to check and remind yourself what you have loaded.
05-02-2008, 08:16 PM,

And my roll in...

When thinking new quests, ALWAYS write or draw them on paper that you will remember them tomorrow and you can easily update them with new ideas.

If you are unsure about how things must be done in a quest etc. check the quests that are already in-game (like if you are planning someones prison escape, like I did) but remember not to chance any conditions or scripts.

And one n00b thing...

I just figured out that Ctrl + S saves the current file Confusedhh: =)
Programming language knowledge: C#(+XNA), Python, C++, main interest is game programming with so far a few succesfull test projects on the first two platforms.

Anyone interested in chess, challenge me on chess.com!
05-03-2008, 12:49 AM,
CS hang on exit
For some reason, either version of the CS will often hang when I try to quit, often so badly that I have to restart. Sad I found on the BSF that if one clicks in the Render Window so that nothing is selected and then hit CTRL-X, the Continue Running Executable? popup appears. Then hit No and you're out. This method hasn't hung on me yet :thumbsup:
05-04-2008, 12:38 AM,

Nice one Steve, I'll have to write that down. Will come in handy when the wife inevitable comes out of bed at 3 am and yells at me to get my ass into the bedroom pronto.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-04-2008, 01:01 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
Nice one Steve, I'll have to write that down. Will come in handy when the wife inevitable comes out of bed at 3 am and yells at me to get my ass into the bedroom pronto.

Ah, so you get that too. :lmao:

Insomaniacally yours,
Steve
05-04-2008, 01:44 AM,
RE: CS hang on exit
Quote:Originally posted by SACarrow
For some reason, either version of the CS will often hang when I try to quit, often so badly that I have to restart. Sad I found on the BSF that if one clicks in the Render Window so that nothing is selected and then hit CTRL-X, the Continue Running Executable? popup appears. Then hit No and you're out. This method hasn't hung on me yet :thumbsup:

It doesnt work for me Sad 12404
05-04-2008, 02:08 AM,

What does happen? Does it hang or does the popup never appear? One thing I should have mentioned above is that once Yes to All is selected for the popup, you will nott see the popup again for the rest of that CS session, making the method above impossible.

Steve