Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Marsh Dungeons
09-30-2008, 12:29 PM,
Black Marsh Dungeons
I think we should discuss how many dungeons is "enough" for our beta release. The types of dungeons suggested are:

Smuggler's Lairs (by the coast, well hidden)

Naga Camps (caves and clearings where the Naga are hiding out - more often they will spawn on the roads, like Vanilla bandits)

Barsaebic Ayleid Ruins (similar to the ones in Cyrodiil, but flooded and overgrown with moss and jungle plants. Naga and Paatru live in some of them) - there need to be large ruins underneath Stormhold and Gideon, they were founded by Ayleids and later built on top of by Imperials)

Paatru Stump villages (a large tree stump filled with water, which acts as a teleporter for an underground network of caves filled with Paatru) - There is only one of these marked on our beta area, Glok-Chuba.

How many of each of the others do you think we should include?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
09-30-2008, 02:33 PM,

I think we shouldnt overdo the dungeons. But then again, I shouldnt be listened to much to in this case. Since I realy hate dungeons.
Member of -
TES IV: Black Marsh (Core Member)
09-30-2008, 02:38 PM,

That's really what this thread is for. We need to work out a maximum number, to avoid overcrowding the map.

I think 1 Paatru (Glok-Chuba), two or three Naga Camps, and maybe 3 small Marsh Ayleids, should be enough (plus the epic Ayleid ruins under Stormhold and Gideon). Perhaps one or two smugglers max on the coast.

That's between 9 and 11 in total.

Thoughts?

09-30-2008, 03:09 PM,

im not sure how large the area is, but that seems like enough. imho there shouldn't be too many dungeons in BM because all of BM is essentially one big scary disease ridden dungeon Tongue
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
09-30-2008, 04:14 PM,

I think so too. We could even take out the Naga Camps entirely if need be, and just have them jumping out from behind trees when you least expect it.

The area is about a third of the total area of Black Marsh, and it's the relatively dry and safe narrow strip that the Imperials have settled along the Western border. It's not quite into the heart of the marsh yet, so it's nowhere near as bad as things get further in. Hence the dungeons, to spice things up a bit.

I was considering retconning the TES1 location of the Vaults of Gemin (which is in this area) into a Marsh Ayleid ruin. What does everyone think?

10-01-2008, 07:36 PM,
RE: Black Marsh Dungeons
Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
I think we should discuss how many dungeons is "enough" for our beta release. The types of dungeons suggested are:

Smuggler's Lairs (by the coast, well hidden)

Naga Camps (caves and clearings where the Naga are hiding out - more often they will spawn on the roads, like Vanilla bandits)

Barsaebic Ayleid Ruins (similar to the ones in Cyrodiil, but flooded and overgrown with moss and jungle plants. Naga and Paatru live in some of them) - there need to be large ruins underneath Stormhold and Gideon, they were founded by Ayleids and later built on top of by Imperials)

Paatru Stump villages (a large tree stump filled with water, which acts as a teleporter for an underground network of caves filled with Paatru) - There is only one of these marked on our beta area, Glok-Chuba.

How many of each of the others do you think we should include?

Woah!Those sounds extremely awesome!
Mmmm Paatru Stump Village,Naga Camps....Ammazing! =)
10-01-2008, 10:36 PM,

Given Lady Nerevar's observation regarding the 'big, scary, disease-ridden dungeon', I think the idea of the Paatru stump village is particularly convincing. I'd like to add that, despite that wonderful mossy ruin texture that you've got (is that a complete tileset, btw?), you're nonetheless unlikely to be able to accommodate too many underground locations. How many caves do you generally find in swamps? Very few because the ground is too unstable and wet for the most part. Having them holed up in trees is therefore imaginative yet convincing. Plus if the SI sumps and Elytra nests are adapted then there won't be a tremendous amount of work involved to get the idea moving (hopefully).

@Deeza - I, for one, haven't a clue about the 'Vaults of Gemin' are.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
07-16-2009, 12:56 PM,

A bit of thread necromancy here but I just noticed that Senten has recently added a resource list for mossy caves: http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=25817 .

To tell you the truth, I'm baffled as to why he didn't come here first..... ?(
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
07-17-2009, 09:08 PM,

I agree that around 10 is probably plenty, but seeing as it obviously isn't a lot, there should be a lot of above-ground 'areas' that are really cool or provide more challenge than just some roadside bandit. Given that my role in Gideon is almost over, perhaps if there is an area of unused land I could throw together some kind of camp of no-good Orcs or maybe a cool event with a bunch of Argonians fighting Imperials at some camp and you stumble upon the action...but I digress, lol
07-18-2009, 03:14 PM,

That sounds to me like you have a fair few ideas regarding a potential 'Trillium Magnata' (ex-slavemasters) quest. I really should be focusing on quests a little more now but if you post up any ideas in the quest section then your continued contributions would be very, very welcome indeed! =)