Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Marsh OST
04-15-2009, 12:20 AM,

Aye, I haven't added the moan yet, this is just some of the surrounding ambience for now. I will indeed be using a whale moan, darkened, stretched and dampened to give the impression of being inside the sound.

I understand what you mean. You're describing a non-harmonic pad. Common practice is to fade in the harmonic bassline (contrabasses or similar deep instrument) and fade out the pad so that the transition is smooth and flowing. Often the tonal quality of the instrument is also dampened and then restored for the climax. For example, say that the tone is around 440Hz and we add an ad hoc EQ to notch those frequencies for the larger part of the phrase and then ease off to accentuate a dramatic chord change. I probably won't use the piano or any instrument with sharp attacks. More in the lines of airy woodwind.

I like the crackles. They're bug sounds. I figured there'd be bugs in the stomach. Either way, I could make them more subtle, leaving room for the listener to imagine what the sounds are coming from.

Hmm, the "storage containers" that can be looted in this worm are those stumps and stuff from SI, right? I seem to recall them making noises when you touch them. Would it be a terrible pain to extract those?
04-15-2009, 09:15 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Xaeaix
Hmm, the "storage containers" that can be looted in this worm are those stumps and stuff from SI, right? I seem to recall them making noises when you touch them. Would it be a terrible pain to extract those?

Do you mean painful for the worm or for me as a modder? =) I'm certainly not keen on getting rid of them. Would their sounds conflict with the music?

Good point about the crackles. I'm still looking for some suitable critters. And yes, subtlety is definitely key, so that they sound like they're round the corner rather than in front of you.

Without understanding all of the terms, I can nonetheless appreciate your technical descriptions enough to be able to say that that all sounds about spot on. :goodjob:
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
04-15-2009, 02:57 PM,

I mean extract the sound files from the *.bsa for me to use in the ambience. I could change them a bit but still leave them easily recognisable so that the soundtrack goes hand in hand with the environment.
04-15-2009, 11:48 PM,

Oh, I see what you mean! Worry no longer about extracting sounds. I always use TES4Archive when I need to unpack something. Just download the attached file, unpack the .rar, double-click on the executable Jar file, select file-Open and navigate to your Data folder where you should see all of the bsa archives. Choose the Oblivion or SI sounds file and unpack whichever sounds you want.

I thought this would be better than just passing on the sounds (and it saves me a couple of minutes Cool ) but if you want me to name the exact sounds for you then here are the ones that I've been using so far:

Dungeon Ambients

AMBDungeonDripLP01 - AMBDungeonDripLP04
AMBDungeonRoot2DLP01
AMBDungeonRootDripA01 - AMBDungeonRootDripA02
AMBDungeonRootDripB01 - AMBDungeonRootDripB02
AMBDungeonRootDripC01 - AMBDungeonRootDripC02
AMBDungeonRootWaterA01 - AMBDungeonRootWaterA02
AMBDungeonRootWaterB01 - AMBDungeonRootWaterB02

Dungeon Containers - such as the festering boil, cancerous growths and lymph gland.

DRSRockOpen & DRSRockClose
DRSStumpOpen & DRSStumpClose
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
05-03-2009, 05:35 PM,

I've added a new public song, Raindrop, to my site. It's the first piece on the start page.
05-03-2009, 06:02 PM,

Sounds pretty good. :goodjob: What software do you use anyway?
Michal Cielecki
Composer for Games and Media
http://www.michalcielecki.com

-------------------------------------

Akavir's Island Mod Music
05-03-2009, 06:56 PM,

You mean the software or the sample libraries?
05-04-2009, 08:38 AM,

Oooh, sweet! I can really imagine wandering around the Everglades to this! Very high quality stuff. :goodjob:
05-04-2009, 10:09 AM,

Wow, "Raindrop" sounds REALLLLLY good! :applause: It really fits into Blackmarsh.

Thanks bunches for making that song; I enjoyed listening to it.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
05-04-2009, 10:10 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Xaeaix
You mean the software or the sample libraries?

Of course the sample libraries.
Michal Cielecki
Composer for Games and Media
http://www.michalcielecki.com

-------------------------------------

Akavir's Island Mod Music