Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Marsh OST
05-04-2009, 11:31 AM,

Well, you never know. Some only want to hear about compressors and reverb plug-ins. I bought myself a copy of EWQL SO Platinum last autumn. Compared to the others I've tried (Synful, GPO, Edirol etc.) it's definitely my pick, if a very expensive one. I find that some of the samples are better than others, and a few are just plain unusable. It does have such a wide variety of instruments, even percussive ones. Since they announced the CCC on soundsonline I've been thinking about putting a dent in my budget.

I'm glad you like Raindrop. It's an idea that's been in my head for months and I finally got it out, even if the plucked strings trill at the end is a bit questionable.
05-04-2009, 05:09 PM,

Cool that you have Platinum. I use Silver XP version (Kompakt) and can't afford an upgrade since I purchased Symphobia and their True Strike 2 (which is IMHO unbeatable in means of authenticity and punch in a percussion sound, I really am dying to get TS1 in the future and their Orchestral Brass). Smile

Cheers,
Mirrored
Michal Cielecki
Composer for Games and Media
http://www.michalcielecki.com

-------------------------------------

Akavir's Island Mod Music
05-08-2009, 08:03 PM,

Alright, I've added the four atmospherical pieces that I've composed so far here. Two new ones. They're about 10 minutes in total.
05-08-2009, 08:15 PM,

Ooops! I fell asleep during 'Suncarrier Hymns'....I was so chilled out.... Big Grin....Seriously, great name. Great tune! Likewise, Raindrops. Sounds like world music, except high quality and less pretentious.

Asia Minor sounds a little more like a city (or 'public') theme to me....for one of the nicer and less oppressive cities. All superb!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
05-08-2009, 09:04 PM,

Asia Minor was originally a Public song. I'm unsure which way to classify it.

Edit: Oops, Suncarrier Hymns is something else. That song is just called 'Jungle Sunset'.
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM,

Alright, back from another shit happens-hiatus. Luckily no equipment died this time, just my soul.

I've been wanting to scrap Jungle Sunset and Asia Minor, I simply don't like them. Also, I've been working on something new, a piece called Our Night which is another atmospherical, though it's a larger ensemble and sounds more like a full orchestra than previous pieces. It's available here, as usual.
06-11-2009, 03:29 PM,

Sorry to hear you had some Real Life crap happen.

I listened to the new song, "Our Night", and I really like it.

What was wrong with Jungle Sunset and Asia Minor, in your opinion??

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
06-11-2009, 06:39 PM,

Ooooh, no! Jungle Sunset was quality. Asia Minor may not have fit with BM perfectly but I still really liked it. And whilst Our Night is sophisticated, I think I still prefer the older stuff purely on the basis of using good, strong high impact games soundtracks. Little melodic parts keep sticking out that will really enhance the experience. Please don't ditch those two altogether! :eek:

I hope life's not getting you down too much, Xae! I've been a bit screwed with medical issues myself lately.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
06-11-2009, 10:04 PM,

Well, alright, but I'll have to rewrite the opening of Jungle Sunset and tweak some of it. I do like it though I got the feeling it's too simplistic, which is the reason why I tried this new sound, so to speak. Ok, Our Night will have to be a demo reel piece. Maybe it can help get me a job.

As for Asia Minor, it started out as an idea that I liked, but I found it difficult to mix some 'savage jungle' feel into it. It's just not BM material, so I'll just discard it. Originally, it was to be a public piece, but I've some other ideas on how to go about that soundscape.

Ok, so now I've come up with some different things for this soundtrack. I'm very open to suggestions for directions and improvements. I'll stick with the more simple game soundtrack style.

I should have the first battle theme finished before long and we'll see how well that fits.

Shit happens but we adapt and go on.
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM,

That's the creative spirit. :yes: I wouldn't discount simplicity, y'know. A lot of the time when people are trying to progress and make serious headway, it's often the case that they need to go back a bit in order to go forward. It happens in all professions....people over-complicate things. I wanted to write for a living when I was younger but I could only really improve my work by sacrificing what I saw as artistic integrity for a few simple narrative hooks. Glad to hear everything's still in the mix. I think you're right about Asia Minor though....shame.