Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BlackMarsh Diseases
03-07-2009, 09:57 PM,

I'm personally not to fond of these ideas. I always hated being able to catch diseases. I dont want to run around finding items for a cure. I want to enter a dark dungeon having to fight off hordes of bad guys and in the end crawl out with all sorts of awesome loot.

But hey, that's just a matter of taste.
Member of -
TES IV: Black Marsh (Core Member)
03-07-2009, 10:02 PM,

We can always include an extra script that allows the player to turn the diseases on and off, depending on whether they find it annoying or not. That way everyone's happy. I've seen it done before for other mods.

Edit:
We'd also need to script it so that Argonians can't catch these diseases, due to their natural immunity.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
03-07-2009, 10:04 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Back2Murder
I'm personally not to fond of these ideas. I always hated being able to catch diseases. I dont want to run around finding items for a cure. I want to enter a dark dungeon having to fight off hordes of bad guys and in the end crawl out with all sorts of awesome loot.

But hey, that's just a matter of taste.

Yep just a matter of taste, I agree that it can be annoying but at the same time I think its something that would be missed if not present.

To me the Harrada idea sparks some interest, having a plant you cannot walk by saftely just makes thing more dangerous and ineresting Big Grin
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
03-07-2009, 11:13 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ibsen's Ghost
I guess it could be a hazard of a particular region. For example, the Everglades. Mosquitoes tend to congregate around water anyway.

Just an FYI, Koniption has already made a few objects that are hazardous within the landscape itself, such as the exploding seedpod and there is a centipede and animated Flora Fly that can be used.

The flora fly of mine only flies around and does not attack. It is not a creature, but just an animated item you can set up under the flora section of CS and harvest a dead fly off of if you catch it. It's good for ambiance around dead carcasses, swamps/etc, and where you put maggots in general (like my maggots I made), or even without maggots.

Koniption
Yeah, don't let those little turds get you down. Dingleberries stick for a while, but eventually they fall off. Cool
03-08-2009, 12:14 AM,

Absolutely! DoZeNt's mosquito would be a really nice addition.

As for the diseases, I'm in favour of keeping the balance there. If we restrict the disease to certain areas then, as a PC, you'll know not to enter some areas unequipped. Of course, it could stop you entering those areas purely because of the likelihood of catching the disease but that can be countered by the more experienced player of BM being fully equipped and ready.
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-08-2009, 07:21 AM,

There can be expensive rings or amulets, that will prevent the player from catching a disease.. some for 20%, some for 50%...

Watch this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf8pAwGsu...re=related
03-08-2009, 11:19 AM,

Good idea, but you should only be able to buy them from Argonians I think. The Empire knows nothing about how to cure or prevent Black Marsh diseases.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
03-08-2009, 03:17 PM,

Cool vid, DoZeNt. I liked the last comment made by yaomaster: "Yea FUCK CENTIPEDES" :lmao: I don't know what he's getting at there but it sounds funny.

Anyway, to sum up:
  • Mosquito - could be based on Koniption's Flora Fly and might still be classed as flora and move the same way. As long as you don't come within its sting zone then you won't get bitten. That could be set up, yes? The best place for it within the beta regions is the Everglades.
  • Venus Fly-Trap - We had a few models that we were looking at on such an idea but perhaps we are best off adaping the Harrada root itself and adding the jaw-like heads...?

Implementation

I'm not sure whether to go for the policy of 'you only infected once' or not but I thought that if we did do this then we could use the same vectors (disease-bearing insects and creatures) again and move on to a different disease each time until all the different disease ideas we may come up with are cured. If the player is familiar with the vectors then they will stay well clear of both them and the known areas if they want to avoid infection.

On the other hand, if the diseases could be caught repeatedly then the amulets idea might be a better way to go. Personally, I think that we should have a blend so that some diseases can lead to immunity and can be beneficial (see below) whilst others are repeatable but quite scarce and localised in certain known areas e.g. selected cells and dungeons within the Everglades

However, we might be able to make it beneficial for the player to actually get these diseases, not just because they will no longer catch it again but they might also gain some extra skill, ability or other bonus as a result of the shamanic ritual. Third world rituals often involve some process of intoxification that eventually purges the subject and leaves them in a clearer state of mind and their body supposedly 'purified' and 'awakened'. This would make diseases less of an irritation and more of a quest-line. Indeed, some diseases might drag you into a 'Hist dimension' which might stimulate some quest of self-discovery. Winning through this quest might endear you to the local Argonians. If the diseases were developed in this way then it amount to some sort of faction-based quest-line that gets you more in-touch with the native population. So I totally agree with Deeza about Argonians being involved in the treatment and cure. It also fits with the plans for 'Argonian voodoo' that Tlo1048 worked on and that my own recruitable companion, Anaster Marrowmir, depended on.

What do you think?
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
03-08-2009, 03:23 PM,

IG, can you give me some modeling lessons?) :lmao:
03-08-2009, 03:35 PM,

Me? Hell, no. I'm crap at modelling. Koniption, Llamaranger and Senten (?) do modelling though. I'm not sure if InsanitySorrow classifies himself as a modeller....? You could always ask for help on the main forums because I'm sure that the mighty Razorwing will be familiar with plenty of modelling tutorials that would help.... =)