Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadsheets in Reich Parkeep
05-23-2007, 06:00 PM,

I'd change the line from "Do not approach this male dunmer for he is very dangerous." to "Do not approach this male Dunmer, but report any information about him to a guard instead."

Also, the previous broadsheet should have some evidence, like Razorwing and Seniosh have pointed out. Otherwise it shouldn't be included. Same went in an earlier post in another thread:

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
If a player reads a broadsheet like that he'll think it's a quest hint and start searching the city for clues. So it's not such a good idea - unless you want to do a quest regarding it and submit the broadsheet as part of the quest?

This one should have evidence as well. Since you are the one writing the stories, I think you should mod it in.

I could make a wanted poster texture with an NIF, and you could do the rest (adding the Dunmer and a quest). I know there is a beard resource out there that could be used.
05-23-2007, 07:15 PM,

Yeah, I could add the quest, it wouldn't be that much work. Also, I think that to make the world more dynamic, not everything should be a quest. Why would the player be able to find this criminal?

*edited the broadsheet to your advise TID
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Silgrad Tower Mages Guild
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
05-23-2007, 10:42 PM,

Yes... unless it's obvious to the player he'll never find any trace of the events that took place in the broadsheet in the real world of our mod, the broadsheet should not be included. Like when you say for instance "The Imperial Guard suspect the escapee has fled towards Steadhelm. However, they ask every citizen to look out for a bearded male dunmer."; which player would not take that as a clear hint he should travel to Steadhelm, find the murderer, and bring him to justice? If I'd read that and spent two hours searching Steadhelm in vain I'd be pretty pissed off at the mod. So please submit your broadsheets together with modded content that supports them, alternatively write stories the player wouldn't expect dialogue or other content about.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
05-24-2007, 06:06 PM,

So please submit your broadsheets together with modded content that supports them, alternatively write stories the player wouldn't expect dialogue or other content about.

I agree with you. But the sentence quoted above might just be your worst remark ever. "So please submit your broadsheets together with modded content" ? Do you actually want me to never post any broadsheet anymore because it would take me too much time to do the modded content? In any case, rephrasing it might make me feel much better....
Quote of the Day
There's real poetry in the real world. Science is the poetry of reality. Richard Dawkins, The Enemies of Reason

Factions:
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
05-24-2007, 09:04 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Cuthalion
Do you actually want me to never post any broadsheet anymore because it would take me too much time to do the modded content? In any case, rephrasing it might make me feel much better....

We can't include it unless there's modded content to support it.
05-24-2007, 09:26 PM,

I meant it more like, erhm, I would post the broadsheet and if modded content was necessary I would be helped by someone?
Quote of the Day

Factions:
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
05-25-2007, 12:32 AM,

So please submit your broadsheets together with modded content that supports them, alternatively write stories the player wouldn't expect dialogue or other content about.

I agree with you. But the sentence quoted above might just be your worst remark ever. "So please submit your broadsheets together with modded content" ? Do you actually want me to never post any broadsheet anymore because it would take me too much time to do the modded content? In any case, rephrasing it might make me feel much better....

The term modded content can be a fullblown quest, but it can also be as simple as a few dialogue lines. It all depends on how you phrase the story.

- With a story like "Prisoner escapes from Reich Parkeep prison!" I really do think there needs to be a quest because of the way you phrased it. Guards in Reich Parkeep need dialogue because many players will likely start by asking them what they know. Maybe 4 dialogue lines for 4 different guards and then a general 'I don't know anything about that, sorry.' for the other guards? Then you'd need to mod the prisoner, which I imagine would be placed somewhere inbetween RP and Steadhelm and have a travel AI package that makes him walk towards Steadhelm. I don't think there's a road between the cities as of now, but if the road gets modded later on he could either be moved by someone so he stands on it or just be left there to give the impression he's staying off the main road. If and when the prisoner reaches the outskirts of Steadhelm he could be given a wander package and just roam about the outskirts indefinitely until the player finds him. Just some ideas from me.

- In the story "Prisoner dies in Imperial cell!" you'd need to write dialogue lines for Fenas Jastal and other guards as mentioned in the article. The last paragraph strikes me as a) hinting of a murder mystery to the player and b) advicing the player to seek out the publisher. So you should probably mod something about that murder mystery as well as mod the location for the publisher, but I think a better alternative would be to omit the last paragraph because I think the story ties together rather well without it, too. So if you want to do that then you'd only need to write dialogue for the guards and submit the esp.

- A story like "Riots in Reich Parkeep" - which would indeed have been set in Silgrad Tower, not RP/Soluthis - is just impossible, sorry. Personally I think it makes sense, but it would take a staggering amount of work to mod the events you described.

- But a story like "The Emporer and his Heirs have been assasinated!" from last year is in my opinion perfect in this sense. No modded content needed because the main game already did.

- Let's say theoretically that you wrote a story about two neighbouring families quarreling with each other. I don't mean for you to write this particular story, I'll just make some stuff up for argument's sake. The Denam family hates the Tarin family because the Tarins moved eight garden rocks some years back and stole a piece of their back yard. The tiny speck of land was perfect for growing ash yams, cries one of the Denam women. The Tarins on the other hand claim 'old man Denam' lost that speck of land fair and square in a game of chance (dice, cards, etc) to the Tarins. Neither side wants to back down and there doesn't seem to be a resolution to the dispute. There's no quest, no way to solve the problem, no right or wrong side a Hero would want to take, so all you'd need to do is pick up 2 house claims in Soluthis and write a few dialogue lines for the family members on both sides to highlight the bad blood. And then you have both a story and evidence with not much work. Of course it would be nice if you could also write and voice act one or two 'heated words' conversations the opposing families could have with each other. ("Yeah, you just keep walking, Tarin filth!" etc) Again, this was all just a theoretical example I thought up.
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
05-25-2007, 02:20 PM,

Razorwing:

- I agree, I don't think it would be much work, but I'm really not that good at making dialogue and modding the quests (I'll learn) so I'd like to add the dialogue, etc. in the post where I've written the broadsheet. That way one who is skilled in modding quests could make it in five minutes.

- I agree with the riots, it would take much time to mod. But isn't it possible that it happened 'in the past'? How would we suggest that to the player? I personally think such a broadsheet (not necessarily the one I wrote, but one with the same concept) is very important to give the player more the feeling that he lives in a living city with much tensions between rivalling factions.

- I find the story about the quarrelling families a bit, erhm, boring. Relamus Veloth doesn't really write about such things, he is more of a conspiracy theory guy Wink . I was actually hoping to put Relamus Veloth in the game, if that's OK with you?

- I would like to write broadsheets about certain quests (so just like in Vanilla Oblivion, broadsheets coming out after important quests), so scream a questname and I'll write....
Quote of the Day

Factions:
Skyrim Thieves Guild
Vvardenfell Mages Guild
05-25-2007, 11:59 PM,

- I agree, I don't think it would be much work, but I'm really not that good at making dialogue and modding the quests (I'll learn) so I'd like to add the dialogue, etc. in the post where I've written the broadsheet. That way one who is skilled in modding quests could make it in five minutes.

If you lack the skills you need to have in order to be able to do what you want to do then there aren't any shortcuts, you just gotta buckle down and learn it. That's not me trying to sound pompous and arrogant, I was in the same position last autumn when I really didn't want to learn how to use NifSkope and kept hoping for that elusive someone to come here and physique my models for me. No-one came of course, and eventually I realized that and set my mind to getting hang of how NifSkope worked. It took quite a bit of reading and a lot of testing but eventually I got the hang of it and from that point on could learn how to do more and more with the program. It wasn't fun to learn how to do those things, but now that I know how, I'm having great fun because I can do so much more than I could before. Like I hope you'll have once you can manifest your stories in the real world of our mod. If you get stuck or have questions you need but to ask, there's many skilled questmakers here.

- I find the story about the quarrelling families a bit, erhm, boring. Relamus Veloth doesn't really write about such things, he is more of a conspiracy theory guy Wink . I was actually hoping to put Relamus Veloth in the game, if that's OK with you?

Some of us revel in the mundane, others in the fantastic. I'm one of the former. Well, most of the time anyway... I would rather model a bookshelf than a Supersword of Doom on most days, so to speak. If all broadsheets were mundane it would of course be bad.

He'd be living in Soluthis right? Sure, I don't have a problem with that Smile Feel free to pick up a claim when you want to bring him in.
Angel mired in filth
05-26-2007, 12:48 PM,
RE: Broadsheets in Reich Parkeep
Quote:Originally posted by Treebiter
I was reading an article on bird flu today... That pretty much explains my insperation Smile

Sounds like a snip and clip to meh.