Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claim: Khajiiti Ships
07-27-2010, 10:19 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Vintra
Thanks, Ja-Kha'jay. Glad you like it!

Oh and Ja-Kha'jay: I'm working on Sarpa Architecture for Black Marshes, actually. As I finish it, I go to claim an architecture set for a major city in Elsweyr. Which one I can claim?

I've already post to Riverhold thread. If Riverhold is not available, then other good too. It doesn't matter.

Thanks again for these inspiring words!
Vintra

I've been doing abit of work on Riverhold architecture, but it's not that substantial, and needs revision (and I'm already doing various other architecture sets, a couple for High Rock and the Rimmen architecture set). But basically, the design of the architecture has been planned out/concepts made, so if you want you can go ahead and claim it.
07-27-2010, 10:40 PM,

Okay, when im ready, i'll talk with you about this.
I'll need those concepts/plans and everything.

Vintra
07-27-2010, 11:52 PM,

Vintra, here's my attempt at a collision for your original boat model.

In the end, my idea of reducing the polycount using Blender's script didn't really cut things far enough, in light of what TOYB said to me. I still haven't cut it as far as he suggested, but I've reduced it from the original 1184 to 220, so the total polycount for the model is 1404.

Please take a look at the attached file.

I used a boolean difference of two low-poly cylinders to model the roof and a plane to replace the deck, which I then shaped a little. I kept your original hull but stretched it up to cover some of the bamboo framework and merged it to my new deck.
I've kept most of the plank meshes in place, but cut out the bottoms and sides, and merged a couple together that weren't far enough apart to be worthwhile, and I merge some of the vertices in the rudder.

All of which should have no effect on the appearance of the model, and in-game the collision should hug the model closely enough that no-one will notice the difference. The game engine will have a much easier time of it though.

This isn't the "right" answer to how to collision this model - it's just my answer. It's also an acceptable number of polies.

Collision isn't an afterthought: in some ways it's as hard as the original visible modelling task. It needs to be treated as a second job of ultra-low poly modelling.

I've not yet taken a look at your wreck. It looks really good from the screenies, but would you mind reviewing it with these points in mind - I don't really have time to re-collision a second model just now.
Morcroft Darkes
07-28-2010, 12:13 AM,

Thanks for did this!

Anyways, we must reduce as much polys as we can.
I don't understand what you did 100%, but i understood some parts of it.
But i do that collision technics for years, and i didn't had any problems. My models was always had that low polygons.

I did what i could in the shipwreck, as you requested. If you can reduce the polygons more, then feel free to do it.

Im actually have to work for Black Marshes, so i can't spend all of my free time for Elsweyr.

Your tip is more than usefull. But i can't do these, because i don't have too much time for now, and don't understand you 100%. Smile

And glad you liked the screenshots!
Hope the mesh is as good as in the pictures!
07-28-2010, 07:41 AM,

Hi Vintra - I know you're doing good stuff over at Black Marsh. Have a chat with Koniption about collision on the Sarpa nest models you're doing there. She knows more about collision and poly budgets that any of us.
Keep up the good work!
:goodjob:
Morcroft Darkes
07-28-2010, 08:21 AM,

I have no idea about how blender makes colision, but in 3dsmax it's utterly simple, as the colision tool has a function that duplicates the main model then simplifies it (and does this rather well) -whole process is done easily within 5 mins.
07-28-2010, 08:31 AM,

Hmm - I don't know of an equivalent in Blender. I basically more or less remodel in low-poly which is slow... slow.... slow! There's a poly reducer which is pretty good but fiddly, and doesn't hug the outline well enough for collisioning. There's also a cube / sphere / convex poly generating "hull" function, but won't do Mopps, and I find it has a bit of a habit of creating internal faces. Maybe I need to go do some research.
Morcroft Darkes
07-28-2010, 08:36 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by morcroft
Hmm - I don't know of an equivalent in Blender. I basically more or less remodel in low-poly which is slow... slow.... slow! There's a poly reducer which is pretty good but fiddly, and doesn't hug the outline well enough for collisioning. There's also a cube / sphere / convex poly generating "hull" function, but won't do Mopps, and I find it has a bit of a habit of creating internal faces. Maybe I need to go do some research.

Might be simipler to just import into 3dsmax and generate the collision from there, also the collision mesh doesn't have to hug the model perfectly, it's just a very, very basic outline.
07-28-2010, 08:46 AM,

Did I say "perfectly" ...? I said "Well enough for collisioning"! Big Grin
The Blender poly reducer has a bad habit of reducing long thin shapes to free edges and stuff like that it you set the reduction high enough to actually be useful!
Can you point me at an idiot's walkthrough of the mopp creation in 3dsmax, please? I really don't want to change modelling packages now I've just got my head round Blender!
Morcroft Darkes
07-28-2010, 10:47 AM,

I didn't have any problem with collisions for years.
Always worked with low-poly meshes, and with a good collision. And it was really good, no lag ever!

But i'll try to reduce as much polygon, as i can in my later meshes for Elsweyr & Black Marshes. Hope it sounds good. I never had problem with my meshes.

I can't do any other thing.

Vintra