Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Claim Zero - the Height Map is finished
10-27-2008, 02:25 PM,

I am going to send DA a pm and see if he can either help or knows someone who can.

Edit: I knew I had the wrong initials there.

Later: I sent the p.m.

Thank you both so much Deeza and exilehunter.
10-27-2008, 02:25 PM,

We don't need real lava because we can use a mesh. You can get it off the ORE (Oblivion real estate) website. We just need to give it a lava texture.

I agree with your idea for the shoreline. ATM it's totally unrealistic, but as I said, I'm not very skilled with the CS.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
10-27-2008, 02:34 PM,

That's good (its a really easy process) and I can easily script it so that NPC's die when they fall into the fake lava (and for miscellaneous objects to disappear).

The region editting is a massive shortcut really. The alternative is handplacing every tree, plant, rock and landscape feature - something i'd only do around specific claims.
10-27-2008, 06:09 PM,

My home pc can generate regions pretty "fast". Once we regions figured out I can generate them and up load different copies or if we just wanted a huge basic region and then fine tune it
10-28-2008, 12:03 AM,

Why not just stretch an invisible activator across the lava scripted to cause damage/give the player a "lava damage" effect?

I'm not sure I understand the problem with the shorline, is it just a matter of smoothing it out? If its too large to do with the landscap editor, oyu can try the worldspace editor, if that's too imprecise you can export to photoshop, then reimport. Or have I misunderstood? Also, what's this about limited access to the shorline? And what size is the heightmap presently? (keeping in mind LOD limitations) Also, its worth considering custom meshes for steep rock walkways, or creative use of existing and new rocks at different rotations and inclinations to create custom rock walls (you can get stunning results this way). I've had a little trouble following the questions, but I'm more than happy to help.
The soul's condition is learning to fly
Condition grounded, but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Toung-tied and twisted, just an Earth-bound misfit, I
10-28-2008, 01:49 AM,

Thanks so much for coming in to help DA. I wasn't able to do anything whatsoever myself. That part of my brain just doesn't work properly.

Anyone with questions, please feel free to re ask them.
10-28-2008, 07:45 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by DarkAsmodeous
Why not just stretch an invisible activator across the lava scripted to cause damage/give the player a "lava damage" effect?

I'm not sure I understand the problem with the shorline, is it just a matter of smoothing it out? If its too large to do with the landscap editor, oyu can try the worldspace editor, if that's too imprecise you can export to photoshop, then reimport. Or have I misunderstood? Also, what's this about limited access to the shorline? And what size is the heightmap presently? (keeping in mind LOD limitations) Also, its worth considering custom meshes for steep rock walkways, or creative use of existing and new rocks at different rotations and inclinations to create custom rock walls (you can get stunning results this way). I've had a little trouble following the questions, but I'm more than happy to help.

Thanks DA for the offer Smile I'm sure we need help in the land making process.

The lava thing can be done with lava damage rather than a kill script but i figured walking around in a non collsion object, possibly under it, would look weird. Imo, its better for npc's and the player to not have this situation.

As for the shoreline and the heightmap in general, it isnt so much a problem but the post was just an update on making a very quick job of a heightmap into a more revised one. The limited acces via the shoreline refers to the original concept map (linked above) where very specific areas were labelled rocky/cliff like and beach landing areas. All i did was made it realistic by turning hills on shore into a graduated beach and like you suggest, should have any insurmountable walls as rock meshes, rather than landscaped.

and Ra, would you be the one to do most of the region generating? I realise you are the main modeller and that any extra work is unfair, but it seems we are short on CS savvy people. Of course, we can get the help of the other BC members but it is probably better with someone specific to the project to oversee this.

My question/s is really one for the team, that is, What are the default region types? We have a map for dense jungle but will that resemble anything in Oblivion or will we have to create our own region items list? Either Ysne or Deeza or anyone else doing concepts need to make a decision and not just a sloppy 'whatever you can do, do it!'. Things will not move unless someone sticks up an idea of what this island HAS TO BE LIKE. That is, What region if any will this claim be like? What do we need to make this claim work? Even if it is impossible, it needs to be said so that modders can consult one another on what can and cant be done and finalize it.

Lastly, to all member's. I think we dont really have a clue what we're making since there is little to go by in Tamraelic Lore. As a result we have little to work with.
If things are to ever take shape, I must ask you ALL to

Add to the concept and ideas pages on what Akavir is.

Ask yourself why you are part of this project. What did you imagine when you realised this project aims to create Akavir? what emotions did you feel? Ideas? Possibilities? The image in your heads! I know it sounds corny but until its done, i dont think we will ever reach making the continent let alone finish this small island.
Everything is needed. Leave no thought unposted.

exilehunter
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM,

That's an excellent post there, exilehunter. You've got what we need to do in one.

First, what I was thinking of: this island (and any other bits of Akavir we do) must look as much as possible unlike Cyrodiil, or else there's no point doing it. This means not just new architecture (which we've done) and new races (which we've done), but new landscape and a totally new set of plants.

I saw this island as being like a heavily volcanic Pacific Rim island. It's basically a set of craters which have slowly risen out of the sea and built up on top of each other through successive eruptions. This means it has quite a jagged landscape of steep slopes and tall volcanic cones.

Second, the region types: most of the island is forest. But it shouldn't be anything like the Tamriel forests. I saw it as looking like this:

http://thegreenloopblog.com/wp-content/u...rest-3.jpg

http://www.neworldimports.com/eng/images...orest_.jpg

http://www.designyourwall.com/store/imag...oo_big.jpg

Basically, how long would it take to create a variety of new bamboo tree types (perhaps three or four would be needed to give the forest variety), plus several new smaller plants (preferably some with ingredients as well)?

Last, this is a Tang Mo island - the Tang Mo need a new set of architecture. Somebody mentioned that some huts had already been made - is there a link to some screenshots?

As well as this, the Tang Mo will need new clutter and static objects to put around their homes.
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
10-28-2008, 11:31 AM,

I believe that RA has all the resources prepared and ready to go regarding trees and structures.

I agree that this needs to look different from vanilla.

Does anyone know where the Ocean mod resources are stored? Their underwater flora definitely falls in that category. They do have an interesting house structure that might work for the scholar.

I'm not sure where the Void's stuff is stored either, but we should be looking at that as well.

(Is kicking herself for not somehow managing to get back here earlier than August).
10-28-2008, 11:34 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Ysne
I agree that this needs to look different from vanilla.

This is the most hardest thing mate..Trust me.