Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concept art request: Gargantuan Hlaalu bridge
02-26-2009, 07:28 PM,
Concept art request: Gargantuan Hlaalu bridge
The road between the cities of Soluthis and Silgrad Tower cross the mighty river Ashunor at one point, as you can see on TheImperialDragon's road map:

[Image: th_20d77d87.jpg]

The road between the cities is important from an overall lore point-of-view since it's imagined to be the main road, not only between the two large cities but also between Cyrodiil and the northwestern Morrowind province. Therefore, when the road crosses Ashunor, we need a gargantuan bridge in Hlaalu design befitting the imagined importance of the road.

I'd like to create the model, but I can't imagine how a gargantuan Hlaalu bridge would look and so I would please like a concept art sketch of how you imagine it. There are a few good architecture images on the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages wiki if you're not previously familiar with Hlaalu design. You could say it looks blockish and has a hard-to-define medieval-industrial flair to it.

Thankyou in advance =)
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
02-26-2009, 08:36 PM,

*see EDIT below*
I was thinking that either a ferry or a bridge would work for that river crossing. Smile The only other point I think should be made about the bridge though (if we were to make one) is that it's high enough so that boats can go underneath and reach the ports in Soluthis and/or Silgrad Tower.

EDIT: I just realized I was looking at the wrong river crossing (I was looking at the crossing between Deepen Meadows and Ashunor Valley instead of the crossing between Silgrad Tower and the Forgotten Forest). Don't mind me. Big Grin
02-27-2009, 09:57 AM,

ahah!.
Greeting friend from across the world.
i will take my chances on this one yeah?
i will try to make is adequate as possible for simplicity at first.
Maybe it's intuition
But some things you just don't question
Like in your eyes
I see my future in an instant
And there it goes
I think I've found my best friend
-End Quote- Savage Garden
BusterWolF
02-27-2009, 10:35 PM,

No worries TID Smile

Quote:Originally posted by BusterWolF
ahah!.
Greeting friend from across the world.
I will take my chances on this one yeah?
I will try to make is adequate as possible for simplicity at first.

Great, I look forward to seeing your vision of it! :goodjob:
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
02-28-2009, 06:00 AM,

This is what i think it should look like.
suggestions are open feel free to comment.
I had a hard time drawing the perspective but if you don't understand a part of this, i will try to define it as legibly as possible.
Maybe it's intuition
Like in your eyes
And there it goes
BusterWolF
02-28-2009, 08:44 AM,

I can't get a sense of how it would look, sorry. Could you try sketching a profile view of the whole bridge?
Angel mired in filth
03-03-2009, 01:27 PM,

ok. here it is from the same perspective from my previous design but a bit more added. It may not be much.
Keep asking if you still don't understand i will be glad to draw more in different perspective.
Maybe it's intuition
Like in your eyes
And there it goes
BusterWolF
03-03-2009, 05:32 PM,

Just a quick thought, if the bridge and road are so important, it might be a good place for an outpost or garrison of some kind, for defensive purposes.

Also it probably shouldn't have stairs as people would come from far and wide with wagons and everything.
03-03-2009, 07:42 PM,

I like the entrance part a lot! I agree with what Tobi said, so for the real model I'll use a ramp instead, but the railing looks very nice.

It's going to be a very long bridge though, and if I imagine what the rest of your bridge will look like - going by the part you drew - it's going to look very repetetive with all those arches (which is one of the key problems with the existing bridge system). The bridge also needs to be tall enough at at least one point to allow large ships to sail under it.
Angel mired in filth
03-03-2009, 08:12 PM,

I like BW's concept; it reminds me of the pedestrian bridges in Balmora. OTOH, stairs do not work for wheeled vehicles. Smile How about having steps on one or both sides which lead to a raised "sidewalk" with the central portion being the ramp/roadway? It's always seemed to me that House Hlaalu is the most urbanized of the Great Houses and might design a scheme to separate pedestrian and horse/cart traffic.

As for breaking up the appearance of the bridge over long stretches, here are some thoughts:
  • Tall guard towers that "tile" with the bridge to allow entry. A bridge like this would be a strategic prize after all. Smile
  • A "high-span" piece for the middle of the bridge. Picture this piece as having the supports farther apart than the normal piece (for wide boats) while having the roadway be gently arched (for high masts).
  • An actual animated drawbridge, though the FPS issues that the lift apparently introduced into the Garden might make this idea infeasible.
My thoughts,
Steve