Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Console button
09-08-2008, 10:18 PM,
Console button
Hi all. I am working on an ASUS M51Ta notebook running Vista Home Premium. I cannot seem to get the console using the usual button. When I press it nothing happens. I am not sure if it is an OS issue or a notebook issue. (`````) it works outside the game as you can see. I am leaning towards Vista as it does type when not in game.

Any ideas would be great. I do not know of any other way to tele into another interior.
09-09-2008, 12:17 AM,
RE: Console button
I thought the command was a ~, not the un-shifted `. Of course I've never tried that key w/o the shift.

Steve
09-09-2008, 12:22 AM,

I don't use the shift button when i do it, and it works fine normally... Try to figure out where the key-bindings are stored (.ini perhaps??) and see if you can set it to something different, that you know your keyboard won't screw up.

Just an idea... or it could be Vista. My suggestion to destroy vista probably won't be of much help here, hope you get a solution though.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
09-09-2008, 12:30 AM,

I tried it as ' and ~ .

I checked the ini and it is enabled.

I did a search and aparantly I am not the only one with the issue but I cannot not narrow down a fix.

It really is frustrating that there is no other way to use the console or tele. I read about a ring mod, but it involves OBSE and that is a real hassle.

I believe Sandor uses Vista, hopefully he had the same issue and resolved it.
09-09-2008, 02:30 AM,

OBSE really isn't that horrible. I'd recommend getting it, because so many good mods use it. It's nifty to have, and easy to set up.

Until someone who has vista can direct you further, you might want to try looking into the ring mod. I've got a feeling it was developed as a solution to your current problem. The thread for the Ring Mod might even have an answer to how you can use the console in Vista - modders are a clever bunch after all.
Leader of the Morag Tong
Hail Mephala
I do work sometimes - I swear!
09-09-2008, 03:08 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Zurke
I tried it as ' and ~ .

I checked the ini and it is enabled.

I did a search and aparantly I am not the only one with the issue but I cannot not narrow down a fix.

It really is frustrating that there is no other way to use the console or tele. I read about a ring mod, but it involves OBSE and that is a real hassle.

I believe Sandor uses Vista, hopefully he had the same issue and resolved it.

Here is what I found on the UESP:

"Note: If you are running Oblivion on Windows XP Media Center Edition or Windows Vista, and an infrared remote receiver is plugged in, your console may not function properly. In order to restore its functionality, unplug the receiver for your Media Center Remote. This will allow you to use the console, as the receiver interferes with Oblivion's programming. Alternatively, a Ring of Console mod has been created to circumvent this problem."

I hope that helps.
09-09-2008, 09:50 AM,

My key to the upper left of the tab key is a § sign in unshifted mode and ½ in shifted mode, so I think it's the key itself rather than the character associated with it that controls the console window.
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
09-09-2008, 01:11 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Razorwing
My key to the upper left of the tab key is a § sign in unshifted mode and ½ in shifted mode, so I think it's the key itself rather than the character associated with it that controls the console window.

I have exactly the same key on my laptop keyboard, but it doesn't work, so I must use the OBSE and Ring of Console Mod to use the console.

I reccommend downloading OBSE because there are no other ways to open it, I'm afraid Sad

Or you can always make a mod for yourself so that you can "coc" to places... you enter the letters and then you "COC" there, I have no idea if it will work Big Grin

PS: If you decide to DL OBSE, you can put the ring as hotkey and when you want to exit the console, you hit ESC twice.
Programming language knowledge: C#(+XNA), Python, C++, main interest is game programming with so far a few succesfull test projects on the first two platforms.

Anyone interested in chess, challenge me on chess.com!
09-09-2008, 05:58 PM,

Actually, I am wondering if the laptops have built in infrared ports? That might act the same way as a plug-in infrared port with respect to Oblivion. If so, you could always make a new profile with the infrared port disabled in the device manager and see if that lets the key work in Oblivion.
09-09-2008, 07:32 PM,

Go On, Laugh At Me...

I just noticed that I have a infared in my laptop Big Grin, I disabled it through the device manager and guess what??

pressing §/½ key (above TAB)

opens the f****ng console... :flamed: :read:

And I have used OBSE and the mod all the time...

I was sure that I don't have one, but it seems that you don't always know your PC like your pockets.

Maybe you should also try it out, Zurke, my infrared device name was Microsoft eHome or similar.

And to make everyone happy, laugh again Big Grin
Programming language knowledge: C#(+XNA), Python, C++, main interest is game programming with so far a few succesfull test projects on the first two platforms.

Anyone interested in chess, challenge me on chess.com!