Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Daggerfall City Meshes
07-11-2010, 08:34 PM,

New files available here.
pwd: fictional city (same pws as last time)
07-13-2010, 11:22 PM,

Those pictures look magnificent as usual! Luckily, I think the plan always was to have more than one worldspace for the city?
Core Member of Black Marsh (Lore and Modding)

Retired Editor of Silgrad Tower

77 interiors completed and counting!
07-16-2010, 12:13 PM,

Don't know, but it should be now ;-)

minor update: addes some chimneys (to hide clipping roofs) and a small gate mesh (to help divide the city without having to use the inner wall gate mesh).
DL here
07-17-2010, 02:33 PM,

To be honest, I'm currently having a bit of trouble with the meshes - I can't seem to create a row of houses without any clipping.
Your demo layout clearly shows that it's possible, of course, so I'll just have to keep trying.

Concerning the layout of the city - I haven't talked about it with TOYB yet, since I was occupied by my exams the last few weeks, and so I didn't know we had planned on a city with multiple worldspaces. But it's a great idea, Daggerfall should be a fairly large town.
How many worldspaces are we talking about, then? And how many buildings or streets in each of them? I also seem to remember that there was supposed to be an upperclass district, how will we achieve that? Simply by using different textures? Because I don't think it's a good idea to "reserve" some of the buildings for the upperclass, that would make the city a little bit bland, I think.

I think it may be a good idea to make a new artwork of the city layout - the current one doesn't really take into account both the division into multiple worldspaces and the type of architecture we're using (still showing the buildings as separate from each other).
I'd give it a try, unless Deeza or TOYB want to do this?
07-17-2010, 05:02 PM,

@fearabbit
there's only one rule: don't place houses with even numbers (housepiece02 etc) next to each other. everything else should be okay.
why don't you copy a row of houses from my demo esp?

I'm not sure if we really need a special upper (or lower) class district. Does Daggerfall in the old game have a lower / upper class district?
07-21-2010, 03:01 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by mr_siika
@fearabbit
there's only one rule: don't place houses with even numbers (housepiece02 etc) next to each other. everything else should be okay.
why don't you copy a row of houses from my demo esp?

I'm not sure if we really need a special upper (or lower) class district. Does Daggerfall in the old game have a lower / upper class district?

TES2's Daggerfall didn't really have any districts or areas, it was a huge sprawling randomly generated city with no real pattern, with the castle in some random spot.

Everything's looking great btw!
07-21-2010, 08:44 AM,

Something I've always wanted to know about Daggerfall - when it says the cities were "randomly generated", does that mean they were generated as the player walked up to them and hence were unique for every player starting the game? Or does it just mean the devs ran the cities through a number cruncher until it came out with something they thought looked ok?

07-21-2010, 04:20 PM,

Sorry for randomly pitching in, but I've actually been playing Daggerfall lately and one consistency I've noticed in the design is that the castle usually has a wide street lined with upperclass houses leading up to it. Beyond those, there's a large lake in what appears to be a plaza. Not all the cities where randomly generated. Well, what I mean by that is that Sentinel always had the same design every time I visited it with a new character.

Also, Deeza, all I know is the cities were pre generated when the player visited them (Though after you do, they would always be the same city after that). You would always have a map depicting the layout of the buildings with shops being orange, inns being yellow, temples and guilds being blue, and normal houses being sort of a grey color. Then when you visit those, or ask an NPC a thousand times where a certain location is, the name will appear on the map marker. In short, I believe its when you start the game, or visit an area the first time.
07-22-2010, 02:27 AM,

Quote:Originally posted by Deeza
Something I've always wanted to know about Daggerfall - when it says the cities were "randomly generated", does that mean they were generated as the player walked up to them and hence were unique for every player starting the game? Or does it just mean the devs ran the cities through a number cruncher until it came out with something they thought looked ok?

Everything was run through a number cruncher at Bethesda, not much is randomly generated in the game. For example, the thousands of locations' names are obviously randomly generated, but remain the same in every game.

Here's the Daggerfall layout. Like the Wayrest layout, it's pretty generic, and also it doesn't take into account that Daggerfall is a coastal city, so really it's of little help.
07-22-2010, 11:05 AM,

I agree. That really is pretty boring.