Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave's Telvanni Tileset
03-24-2009, 01:53 AM,
Dave's Telvanni Tileset
Two weeks ago I was messing around in Maya and PS and decided to try making a few of the Telvanni exterior pieces. I was planning not to release or share the meshes/textures as I didn't make them for anything other than practice. Soon afterwards I discovered that ST were planning a Telvanni settlement, and I'd already created a lot of the key pieces and their textures. Having sent the meshes and textures to Razorwing for him to check out, I decided to make a WIP thread.

I also intend to make the interiors at some point, but right now I'm concentrating on the exterior pieces.

Here are some (old) screenshots in-game:

[Image: th_ScreenShot1525.jpg][Image: th_ScreenShot1526.jpg]
[Image: th_ScreenShot1527.jpg][Image: th_ScreenShot1531.jpg]

And here are some nifskope compilations of a few of the meshes:

[Image: th_doors.jpg][Image: th_roots.jpg][Image: th_spiralroot.jpg]
[Image: th_housepods.jpg][Image: th_large.jpg]

I hope everyone likes how it looks so far. If anyone has any ideas for new pieces, or any thoughts about the WIP meshes so far we can discuss them here.

*The SI (mushroom and bark) textures will be replaced with new ones. The spotty textures are based upon the SI bark texture, so I'll need to re-create those ones too.

*I have permission from Phitt to use and release the three textures and their normal maps I took from his Sheogorad mod.

*I'm aware that JonSatriani already made a great Telvanni tileset. I felt however, that some of the essential pieces were missing, and I have found that editing other people's work is more awkward than simply making your own versions. As I mentioned, I made these for practice plus ST were looking for their own version of the tileset, in some sense.
03-24-2009, 02:48 AM,

It looks fantastic, Dave! :goodjob:
I especially like the top left screenshot. It screams at me to walk up the path and explore the house Smile

And I definitely agree about not editing other people's work. I did that for a tileset once, because I figured hey - should be easier to edit an existing tileset than make a new one, right? Well not quite.

The guy who made it used feet as scale... but it had perfect scale in relation to itself, so it tiled on, say, a 242.433256 grid. I thought I could fix it by resizing each piece identically, so that it would tile on an exact power-of-2 grid. But as I discovered later on, every other vertice had been displayed by fractions of a percent during my resize, and there were hairline gaps at the seams. By the time I realized the problem I had already finished it. The only solution was to standardize the position of fifty or so vertices in a text doc and change them individually. Ultimately I wager it took me two-three times longer than if I had made it from scratch, so... I'll never do anything like that again. You live you learn, I guess Tongue
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
03-24-2009, 05:39 PM,

this looks very nice!
it looks like the morrowind set..

BTW; i think that the uw-mapping needs some correction on the "house" the left in this show: http://s458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303...=large.jpg it is kind a streched..
03-24-2009, 07:22 PM,

Definitely. In this screenshot it's very noticable. I already fixed the UVs for the turrets but I haven't exported them yet. The manor (third along in the screenshot you referred to), has a few texture seams which I also hope to fix.
03-24-2009, 07:30 PM,

They look great Dave_91. It should be an awsome set when finished.
03-24-2009, 08:03 PM,

An awesome task to tackle but it's coming together very nicely indeed. Absolute best of luck with this ambitious project, Dave_91!
Cunning Linguist (Writer and Voice Actor - Lost Spires, St and many, many more.)
Lizard King - Leader of the Black Marsh mod
[Image: Buserbar.jpg]
03-24-2009, 09:10 PM,

Could have posted this over at the Sheo or Vv forums Dave Tongue, still its lovely and I think it will work lovely with the Telvanni set already available.

:goodjob:
[color="#9ACD32"]How do you Skyrim? Show Us in TES Alliance's [url="http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/forum/112-official-skyrim-contest/"]Salute to Skyrim Contest[/url]![/color]
03-24-2009, 10:26 PM,

wow, that looks great. is it completely analogous to the morrowind set (as in same size, etc.)?
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
03-24-2009, 10:53 PM,

Practically, yes. I used TES3 imports to base them on so they should be almost identical.
03-25-2009, 08:05 PM,

i do the same thing dave..
it looks soo much better when it moddeled on the old model..

PS; do you make the textures from scratch??