Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Entartet's Tower of Silgrad
12-07-2006, 08:57 PM,

Taller, and a little bit wider around the base, but not too much. :hmm: Me likes a bunchalot! Big Grin
12-07-2006, 09:42 PM,

Actually a LOD mesh should have around 100 faces. Don't worry, players can never tell over the distance they're viewed at.

Judging by the in-game screenshots I concur with others in this thread that it would probably look even better if it was taller. I mean the model is superb, and so is the concept art, but it just seems too short compared to it's base area to really feel like a tower. Perhaps the lower cylindrical structure could be 50% taller?
¤ How to add images or files to your post ¤ Silgrad's UBBCode
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
[Image: SignatureBannerRazorwing.jpg]
12-07-2006, 09:57 PM,

New IngameScreenshots added

- Version2, about 30 Percent taller (just 2 screenshots), bigger, some new details - hope you like them Smile ?

http://gallery.silgrad.com/thumbnails.php?album=72

Quote:from the OPit seems WAY high poly, may I ask as to the faces?

65000 Vertics
87000 Faces

In the End it should have about 100000 Faces,

Quote:I'm asuming the textures are placeholders?

Yes, without textures Oblivion doesn?t shade the model

Ok, couse everbody (include me) thinks the tower should be taller, I made two (test-Versions 30%,60%)
so you could say what you like better
[Image: Silgrad_Tower_tall.JPG]
12-07-2006, 10:12 PM,

The new screenshots are amazing =)
The height seems perfect now imho.

In ScreenShot91.JPG I noticed that if the player came out of that doorway he wouldn't have much to do. Would it be possible to add doorways in the bulkheads, so he can walk all around the platform?
My pet peeve: huge images in img code. I reserve the right to make any such image into a clickeable thumbnail whenever I see it.
Angel mired in filth
12-07-2006, 10:13 PM,

i think that WAY too many faces. 65k is still OK for such a structure, but 100k is bound to cause lag. i think that you can cut a segnificant amount from the dome since it wont be seem close up anyhow.

but thats just my opinion. the white-gold tower is 103k...
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM,

Quote:Originally posted by Lady Nerevar
I think that WAY too many faces. 65k is still OK for such a structure, but 100k is bound to cause lag. I think that you can cut a segnificant amount from the dome since it wont be seem close up anyhow.

but thats just my opinion. the white-gold tower is 103k...

Aren't you contradicting yourself when you say it's too many faces and then go on to cite a Bethesda building using the same amount of faces that obviously works?
Angel mired in filth
12-07-2006, 10:23 PM,

whether or not nerevar contradicts, she is right about how the top of the dome won't really be seen that close up..

But yeah forgot to say..
That is amazing work :goodjob:

The new "taller" versions are absolutely perfect

EDIT: I just saw you asked a question, I think the 60% is best, its got like a skyscrapper tower feel.
12-07-2006, 10:28 PM,

Oops, I missed the question as well Blush

I think I like the way the shape of the building looks at 60% better than at 30%. Smile
Angel mired in filth
12-07-2006, 10:30 PM,

yes Tongue i said that in my opinion it is too many faces, and that it should be lowered. however, if you dont folow my opinion it wont kill the game or anything (though it will probably lag). in my opinion the palace can also be cut segnificatly (there is some truely stupid poligon usage in OB).
Mongati HoonDing tiavo; li-mansao einei diang.

Cassandra for the memospore era
12-07-2006, 10:31 PM,

Quote:Would it be possible to add doorways in the bulkheads, so he can walk all around the platform?

yes, there was bulkhead, just by smothing the mesh they were closed, but there will be bulkheads - I'am working on it

Quote:I think that WAY too many faces. 65k is still OK for such a structure, but 100k is bound to cause lag. I think that you can cut a segnificant amount from the dome since it wont be seem close up anyhow.

at the moment there ist still much overlapping and redundantly faces, but 65k will be hard, maby 80k, the dom has "just" 10000 faces but it?s a good Idea to reduce them, the most faces are on the platform, and I don't know how much I can reduce there,

Quote:Actually a LOD mesh should have around 100 faces

Oh, that is not much, maybe it is posibble to create different LOD-Meshes, for far and near ?